• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Can we go to the dungeon to get Jamison now?
Or go to the beach to get help

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

We could, but we don’t need to go that far…

>S
You creep over the prostrate butler.

Upstairs Hall
  You stand in a carpeted hallway, leading west to a stair landing. To the north is an ornately carved door. From the south comes the impression of light and air.
  The butler lies on the floor, prone and snoring loudly.

>W
Stair Landing
  The east-west hallway opens here to curve into a grand staircase sweeping down to the foyer.

>D
Foyer
  A grandiose staircase splits and twists up to the next floor here, framing the entrance south to the ballroom. Long hallways lead east and west; cool night air drifts in through the front door, north of you.
  An eerie battle cry arises on the wind, from all sides of the house, and Jamison’s men stream in from all directions, huddling the dancers in the middle of the ballroom.
  Cookie rushes up to you, looking worried. “Miss, we must find the Cap’n. Have ye any idea where to look?”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’ve been experimenting with a new inventory interface for the game. What do you think?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 26 April 2016 05:40 PM

Yeah, but we never even knew he posed a problem.

Lackeys always pose a problem. Besides, wasn’t he the one that, together with Crulley, took down Jamison not five minutes ago?

Oscar - 26 April 2016 07:47 PM

An eerie battle cry arises on the wind, from all sides of the house, and Jamison’s men stream in from all directions, huddling the dancers in the middle of the ballroom.

Top marks for speed.
How on earth did they get here so fast??? :o

Oscar - 26 April 2016 10:09 PM

I’ve been experimenting with a new inventory interface for the game. What do you think?

Oscar, you spoil us.

Alright, Jamison Rescue Mission.

> Yes, follow me!
> go to dungeon

Cookie has a wooden leg, right? That should take care of the croc. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Marvelous, Oscar. Cool Mama would be proud of you.

Just one tiny little detail: Jasmine flowers are white, not red.
I know… nag nag nag.

And we can put all that stuff in one small reticule! The old boxed game for my Atari came with a real ugly reticule. I’m not against nice feelies, but the Infocom text adventures were very expensive and I hated paying for this utterly useless thingie.

EDIT: I tried to Google the reticule, didn’t find anything except at ebay. I could have sworn my reticule didn’t look like that at all…

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 27 April 2016 03:53 AM

Marvelous, Oscar. Cool Mama would be proud of you.

Just one tiny little detail: Jasmine flowers are white, not red.
I know… nag nag nag.

And we can put all that stuff in one small reticule! The old boxed game for my Atari came with a real ugly reticule. I’m not against nice feelies, but the Infocom text adventures were very expensive and I hated paying for this utterly useless thingie.

EDIT: I tried to Google the reticule, didn’t find anything except at ebay. I could have sworn my reticule didn’t look like that at all…

You know, the game is almost edutainment. I must admit I had to look up a few words like bowsprit, folly, flagon, missive, doxy and a few others. And now I learn that jasmine flowers are white! (yes, poor Oscar isn’t too sharp, to put it bluntly!) But he makes up for it with smashing good looks… Cool

edit: Is this the reticule (in blue)? Mine didn’t have it either (I didn’t buy it new).

>E
East Hallway
  The carpeted hallway turns from west to north here, extending into the east wing. A long table blocks the way south.
  Cookie pegs after you.
  Cookie grins broadly, “I knew we could depend on you, lass. Lead on!”

>N
Library
  Everything in this private office is larger than life. A huge portrait decorates the north side, and black drapes mask the east wall. Bookshelves tower over a cherry desk, and a massive wooden globe squats in a corner.
  An expensive hat is hanging on a knob.
  Cookie pegs after you.

>OPEN PORTRAIT
Quickly you pull the book, joggle the knob and touch the globe, and the portrait pops open. Cookie harrumphs, surprised.

>N
You move beyond the portrait into the flickering torchlight.

Stairwell
  Cool salt air, blowing past a torch on a spiral staircase below you, ruffles your hair and circles south into the library.
  Cookie pegs after you.

>D
Bottom of Stairwell
  Flickering torchlight lights the bottom of a spiral staircase. A draft blows from the east; a passage leads south.
  Cookie pegs after you.

>S
Anteroom
  Two exits lead from this cavernous room, north and south. The walls drip with wet, forming a huge pool on the floor.
  The crocodile lies half in the pool, gazing at you, with baleful eyes, jaws wide open. Dagger-sharp teeth glint in the torchlight.
  Cookie pegs after you.
  Cookie rushes at the crocodile, crying, “I’ll take care of this monster, sweetheart. You run by and do what you must do.” He dives headlong into the pool.

>S
A whip cracks the air. “Flogs me, will ye, Cap’n? Taste it yourself, har.” Jamison groans, half conscious. You rush in.

Dungeon
  You sense, rather than see, the rusty skeletons of old cages and torture devices that line the walls of this cavernous room. One flaming torch, high on a wall, casts mad licks of light into the darkness. Passages lead north and west. Set deep in the rocky floor is an open trapdoor.
  Nicholas is spread-eagled against the wall, shackled in the pair of manacles.
  A rapier lies in the half-dark of a corner.
  Crulley steps leering out of the shadows and cracks the whip near you, hopping you towards the open trapdoor. “Ye’re a tasty doxy to let slip, but no ‘elp fer it.”

(Is cookie actually Steve Irwin?)  Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Brilliant! Just what I needed! Grin

I’m also stunned at how many English words I don’t understand… Frown I guess that’s playing text adventures for you. (But I understood papa! In our language we say “mama” and “tata”, but papa is not unheard of as well.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

take rapier, threaten Crulley with rapier Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well well, “Crocodile Dundee Cookie”. Smile

Alright, we could apparently tackle this guy with a small coffer, I’m sure we can do so with that rapier.

> take rapier
> attack Crulley
> free Jamison

Edit:
Simultaneous posting. Tongue

diego - 27 April 2016 06:27 AM

take rapier, threaten Crulley with rapier Smile

Why threaten when you can charge? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 27 April 2016 06:27 AM

Why threaten when you can charge? Wink

We don’t wanna our beatiful ball gown to get dirty in front of Falcon, do we?! Wink

Oscar - 27 April 2016 05:16 AM

(Is cookie actually Steve Irwin?)  Grin

That, or Groundskeeper Willie. Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>TAKE RAPIER
Taken. Crulley snorts, “Be careful, you might hurt yer dearie.”
  Crulley cracks the whip near you, hopping you towards the open trapdoor. “Leave yer honey be, wench. He’ll join ye anon.”

>ATTACK CRULLEY WITH RAPIER
Crulley seems more amazed than frightened of your attack, guessing correctly that you hardly know the tip from the hilt of the rapier. He steps sideways in surprise, so he stands at the edge of the trapdoor.
  Crulley cracks the whip near you, hopping you towards the open trapdoor. “What, afrighted of a lick o’ the whip?”

diego - 27 April 2016 06:20 AM

I’m also stunned at how many English words I don’t understand… Frown I guess that’s playing text adventures for you. (But I understood papa! In our language we say “mama” and “tata”, but papa is not unheard of as well.)

I think many of those words are no longer in use. Apparently the creator, Amy Briggs, did a lot of research into 17th century piracy history. So don’t feel bad!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I don’t think we stand a chance at getting closer to an experienced whip user like Crulley. Here goes nothing: (save game) throw rapier at Crulley!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 27 April 2016 07:03 AM

I don’t think we stand a chance at getting closer to an experienced whip user like Crulley.

That’s true - we haven’t even learned any insults! Tongue

>THROW RAPIER AT CRULLEY
Trying to destroy Crulley accomplishes nothing.
  Crulley cracks the whip near you, hopping you towards the open trapdoor. “Would yer like a taste o’ water?”

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

How about:

> restore game
> attack Crulley again

He might well be dumb enough to step into the trapdoor himself.
Or he steps aside, and we fall in, and I bink another death. Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Restored. (although I don’t think we needed to)

>ATTACK CRULLEY WITH RAPIER
You flick the rapier across his chest, barely scratching him. He cries, “Avast me! Pricked by a woman!” and trips into the trapdoor.
  You peer down the hole to find Crulley hanging in midair, his hook caught in the rocks a few yards down. He curses and starts to climb up the sheer slimy walls of the well.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top