• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 27 April 2016 07:26 PM

Indeed. According to the text on the back of the box, “To create this exotic adventure, author Amy Briggs read hundreds of romance novels, researched 17th century costumes and ships, and was wooed by a dashing pirate.”

I can’t help feeling that the last bit might be a slight exaggeration, though. Wink

I’d say the rest was more than a bit exaggerated as well. She may have read a few romance novels for her own enjoyment, but costumes? Frock, breeches, shirt, chamise, gown, wig. Pffff. She had to research ships to come up with fore, aft, quarterdeck, and crow’s nest?

Oh, come now. Next you’ll be saying she never wrestled a crocodile!  Tongue

Karlok - 27 April 2016 07:49 PM
Oscar - 27 April 2016 05:16 AM

I must admit I had to look up a few words like bowsprit, folly, flagon, missive, doxy and a few others.

I can always tell when someone has never read an Agatha Christie novel.  Tongue

Hey, if they ever make an adventure game based on Dead Man’s Folly, I’ll be the first to play it. Smile

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is the game over?! Where’s papa?!! I want to tell papa I’m madly in love with Falcon! RUN TO PAPA!!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7445

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 27 April 2016 08:06 PM

Oh, come now. Next you’ll be saying she never wrestled a crocodile!  Tongue

Does she have a hook? No?
Well, does she at the very least have a peg-leg? No?
I rest my case.

Innocent

Still, I want to pay tribute to developer Amy Briggs. Here she is, all of five seconds, in the 2010 documentary Get Lamp. Highly recommended for all those who love text adventures or want to know more about the Infocom days.

One of those trivial trivia women find interesting: Amy Briggs lived next door to Ron Gilbert and used to babysit him.

Hey, if they ever make an adventure game based on Dead Man’s Folly, I’ll be the first to play it. Smile

Ooohh! You follied me.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Actually it’s true - I’ve never read any Agatha Christie. Cry

I did enjoy the three Adventure Company games, but Poirot kind of annoys me to be honest. I know she wrote with other detectives as well.

diego - 27 April 2016 08:17 PM

Is the game over?! Where’s papa?!! I want to tell papa I’m madly in love with Falcon! RUN TO PAPA!!!

It’s not over - Crulley is crawling up the well and Falcon is half-unconscious at your feet.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 27 April 2016 08:52 PM

Actually it’s true - I’ve never read any Agatha Christie. Cry

I did enjoy the three Adventure Company games, but Poirot kind of annoys me to be honest. I know she wrote with other detectives as well.

How about Miss Marple? Old, kind but sharp spinster with keen psychological insights. She’s not arrogant, like Poirot. I wish they’d devoted one or more games to her.

It’s not just Dead Man’S Follies. Lots of follies play a part in Agatha Christie games. Manors, large estates, disgustingly rich upper class people…

diego - 27 April 2016 08:17 PM

It’s not over - Crulley is crawling up the well and Falcon is half-unconscious at your feet.

Yes, don’t just stand there crying like a sissy. Papa always used to say: Action instead of reaction. DO something, diego!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I still vote we

> kick Crulley in the face when he reaches the top

Smile

Could this be where we finally use those smelling salts?

> use smelling salts on Jamison
> get the F out of Dodge

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 28 April 2016 02:51 AM

Could this be where we finally use those smelling salts?

> use smelling salts on Jamison
> get the F out of Dodge

>WAKE JAMISON WITH SMELLING SALTS
You wave the smelling salts under Nicholas’s nose. He stirs, sneezes and looks at you blearily. “How—?” he says, bewildered. “Lafond, did he—?” He straightens. “Darling, you are an angel, to have gone through all this and then rescue me. Your ravisher will not go unpunished.” He squares his shoulders. “For my brother, his wife, and your honor, I will kill Jean Lafond.”
  Nick kisses you briefly, a butterfly touching your lips, then seizes his rapier and runs off to the north. Cookie calls a breathless “Hullo, Cap’n” to him as he races past.
  Sounds of scraping hook against stone and curses echo out of the well.

TimovieMan - 28 April 2016 02:51 AM

I still vote we

> kick Crulley in the face when he reaches the top

Smile

I’m not sure how you would put that into the parser - he’s either at the top or he’s not (and if you wait too long, you know what happens). In any case, it doesn’t work.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You forgot to get the F out of dodge, Oscar. On to the meeting place, the beach. Or something.

PS to my recommendation of the IF docu Get Lamp: I had another look at it just now, and the strangest thing happened: I don’t think it’s that good. I still like hearing the old Infocom implementors talk about the good old days, but that’s it. 

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well then, time to get out of here.

>N
Anteroom
  The pool is roily with the writhing bodies of Cookie and the crocodile.

>N
“I ain’t goin’ to fight this beast if you’re headin’ back upstairs.” Cookie follows you.

Bottom of Stairwell
  Cookie pegs after you.

>U
Stairwell
  Cookie pegs after you.

>S
You move beyond the portrait into the library.

Library
  An expensive hat is hanging on a knob.
  Cookie pegs after you.
  Cookie cocks his head. “What is that noise? Is Cap’n duelling Lafond? There’s no chance he could win as beaten as he is!” Cookie races out towards the ballroom.
  You hear a piece of furniture being knocked over.

>S
East Hallway
  You hear a duellist leap forward, and swords clash, parrying.

>W
Foyer
  You hear metal scrape metal. A woman gasps.

>S
You can’t force yourself between the amazed spectators of the duel.
  Rapiers click and slide. “Bad parry, Captain,” Lafond says.

>U
Stair Landing
  Lafond’s voice is cold, lazy, “You will die, you know, Jamison.”

>E
Upstairs Hall
  The butler lies on the floor, prone and snoring loudly.
  Swords engage and disengage.

>S
Gallery
  You are on a wide balcony overlooking the ballroom. A hallway lies to the north.
  Down on the dance floor the dancers are pressed in a wide circle around Nicholas and Lafond. Cookie stands anxiously in the door to the veranda, near your father and Lucy.
  A chandelier is held above the dance floor by a rope and pulley system, so that the servants can lower it to light and snuff its candles. Several feet of rope hang down from the pulley, the excess tied around the railing.
  Nicholas and Lafond circle each other intently, the one breathing hard, the other casual, sword tips almost touching. Jamison has lost copious amounts of blood and is no match for Lafond, cool and competent.
“You must ... pay ... for your actions!” Nicholas gasps.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 05:02 AM

“You must ... pay ... for your actions!” Nicholas gasps.

Worst. Swordfighting insult. Ever.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That chandelier is asking for it, no?
Untie or cut the rope?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>UNTIE ROPE
Untied. The chandelier swings slightly, dribs of hot wax spilling to the floor.
  Someone calls out, “We’ve got the Dimsford girl, Governor”—lying, of course, since you’re obviously free. But Nick glances towards the voice, missteps, and slips in his own blood, falling backwards to the floor, his rapier skittering aside.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It didn’t drop?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

No, it didn’t. Don’t wait too long. DO something or Nick will DIE!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Take rapier, hit chandelier with rapier (I know, I played Touche too much)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top