• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 26 April 2016 02:48 AM

Don’t we need to fill both cups?
And maybe, in Princess Bride style, poison them both?

You can deduce from our first attempt what will happen if you put laudanum in both cups. He will make you drink one of the cups and you will be fast asleep.

Oscar - 25 April 2016 10:46 PM

If you pour wine and laudanum in the blue goblet, the same thing happens (he asks which glass is his and then gets you to drink from it, while he drinks from the other).

He doesn’t drink from the other, he uses his poor butler as a foretaster. But we already found a way to get rid of Lafond, he leaves the room when we throw spices at him.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So we fill both cups, poison ours (the blue one), say that the green one is his so he forces us to drink it (which we do since it’s fine), have the butler taste the poisoned one and then blow spices in his eyes.

It’s a Sierra-type puzzle: you need to die to figure out how to solve it. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s it! Two birds with one stone. Or you can just throw the spices in his eyes and take care of the butler later.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>DRINK WINE
You empty the blue goblet of wine.
  “Good girl,” he says, “Let’s see more cooperation of this sort.”
  Suddenly, the door slams open. It is Jamison, coatless, sword bared, his shirt ripped. “Thank God I am not too late. Leave, darling, before I skewer this dog to his bedposts,” he cries. The scar on his cheek gleams coldly.
  With a yell, Crulley and the butler jump out of the darkness behind him. Nicholas struggles, but soon lies unconscious on the floor.
  “Take him to the dungeon,” Lafond says, setting down his glass. “You, butler, stay nearby. I do not wish to be disturbed again.
  “Now that we are rid of that intrusion, cherie, I will change into something more comfortable. Pour me more wine.” He crosses to the wardrobe removing his coat and vest, turned slightly away from you.

>POUR WINE IN BLUE GOBLET
You fill the blue goblet with wine.
  “In private, call me Jean, or whatever endearment you choose, once I have approved it.” Lafond is looking into the wardrobe.

>POUR LAUDANUM IN BLUE GOBLET
You squeeze three colorless drops into the blue goblet. You sense Lafond hesitate, then continue primping.
  The butler enters, laying a silver tray of cold chicken on the table. “The kitchen wench has gone, your grace. I took the liberty of fetching these myself.” He bows and leaves the room.
  “Sprinkle some spices on the fowl, ma petite,” Lafond says, donning a long brocade robe, his back to you. “They are hot, but delicious.”

>POUR WINE IN GREEN GOBLET
You fill the green goblet with wine.
  “Tsk. The cook has gone too far. She shall be ‘leaving us’ tomorrow.” Lafond adjusts the lace at his neck.

>GET SPICES
You take a pinch of spices between your thumb and forefinger.
  Lafond strolls to the table smiling slyly. “Which glass was mine? I seem to have forgotten.” He points at the green goblet and smiles in a way that does not grant you confidence. “Is this it?”

>YES
You nod.
  “Ah yes, of course.” Lafond obligingly takes the green goblet.
  He inhales deeply of the bouquet of his wine, then turns to you. “You must think me very naive to fall for such a trick. I saw you pour something into one of these glasses—although I cannot smell it.” He switches goblets, setting the green goblet into your nerveless grasp and taking up the other, smiling evilly. “Now you will drink from the cup intended for me.”

>DRINK WINE
You empty the green goblet of wine.
  The spices dribble out from between your fingers.
  “Good girl,” he says. Lafond takes the leather bottle and drops it out the window. “You shall not need this. You may suffer no headaches in my employ.”
  He lifts his glass to drink, but stops. “Your father, for all his idiotic meddling in other people’s business, is not a fool. I doubt you are, either.” He calls in the butler, ordering him to empty the blue goblet. The man reports no odd taste and returns to his post.

>BLOW SPICES AT LAFOND
You blow the spices off your fingertips, directly into Lafond’s face. He sneezes, his eyes watering from the heat of the peppers. Reaching blindly for some wine, he instead upsets the table, shattering a glass. Lafond stumbles cursing out of the room, in search of relief.
  You hear a “thump-phoosh,” like someone slumping against a wall.

Phew!  Content

What now?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 26 April 2016 05:08 AM

What now?

Good question. I didn’t think this through. Tongue

Go to the dungeon to get Jamison?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 26 April 2016 06:32 AM
Oscar - 26 April 2016 05:08 AM

What now?

Good question. I didn’t think this through. Tongue

Go to the dungeon to get Jamison?

Remember the croc? You need help. Jamison told you how to get help, didn’t he.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 26 April 2016 09:25 AM

We can put the croc to sleep again if we find some meat, and there’s chicken present.

> use laudanum on chicken
> take chicken

We needed to signal the boat from, well, this room as it’s facing the right direction.

> i
> x everything

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 26 April 2016 09:34 AM
Karlok - 26 April 2016 09:25 AM

We can put the croc to sleep again if we find some meat, and there’s chicken present.

> take chicken

Yeah, makes sense… bad developers won’t let you though. I guess they don’t want to force the player to do the same thing twice and bore him to death.

We needed to signal the boat from, well, this room as it’s facing the right direction.

> i
> x everything

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Karlok - 26 April 2016 09:37 AM
TimovieMan - 26 April 2016 09:34 AM

> take chicken

Yeah, makes sense… bad developers won’t let you though. I guess they don’t want to force the player to do the same thing twice and bore him to death.

I don’t think you have the laudanum at the moment, and it may even be gone forever. Remember…

Lafond takes the leather bottle and drops it out the window. “You shall not need this. You may suffer no headaches in my employ.”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, let’s pick up everything before we check our inventory.

>L
Lafond’s Bedroom
  Lafond’s bedroom shows all the outpourings of his megalomania. Royal hues of purple and gold weigh down the hangings on the bed and the eastward window, as if trying to smother the moonbeam shining in.
  A lace-covered table crouches beside a wing-backed chair in one corner. Sitting on the table is a silver tray and a flagon.
  You can see a jewelled brooch, a bit of mirror, a cotton frock, a flower, breeches, a shirt, a powder horn, a large key and a green goblet here.

>GET ALL
jewelled brooch: Taken.
bit of mirror: Taken.
cotton frock: Taken.
flower: Taken.
breeches: Taken.
shirt: Taken.
powder horn: Taken.
large key: Taken.
green goblet: Taken.
silver tray: Taken.
flagon: Taken.

>X GREEN GOBLET
The green goblet is ornate and expensive.

>X TRAY
Cabbage leaves are etched onto the mirror-bright silver tray, forming a well in the center where the metallic stalks meet. Some cold chicken is heaped around the dry spices filling the well.

>X FLAGON
Some wine sloshes around inside.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

eriktorbjorn - 26 April 2016 10:24 AM

I don’t think you have the laudanum at the moment, and it may even be gone forever. Remember…

Lafond takes the leather bottle and drops it out the window. “You shall not need this. You may suffer no headaches in my employ.”

Yeah, it’s gone forever now, but if we restore and throw the spices at him one or two moves earlier, he won’t have taken it. BTW, we don’t have to put laudanum in the cup, throwing spices is enough to get rid of lafond. For a while, anyway.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

>look out window
>reflect tray at ship/light

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>LOOK OUT OF WINDOW
The full moon is high in the night sky. Some distance out from the shallow curve of the island, you see the slow swelling of sails, grey turning black turning grey, on the Helena Louise.

>SIGNAL SHIP WITH TRAY
You scrape everything off the silver tray into the bushes below. You roll the silver tray around in the beam of moonlight till it glows silver-white. After a moment, a flash of light responds from the Helena Louise.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 26 April 2016 11:46 AM

BTW, we don’t have to put laudanum in the cup, throwing spices is enough to get rid of lafond.

But we took care of the butler, didn’t we? Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 26 April 2016 05:28 PM

But we took care of the butler, didn’t we? Smile

Yeah, but we never even knew he posed a problem. 
Here’s the variation of the Drugged Blue Cup, after Lafond has left:

> s
> You run out—into the butler’s barrel chest and leering grin. You return to the bedroom, the butler following. “The governor said you were not to leave this room.”
> give blue cup to butler
> He looks pleased. “I’m rather parched, Ma’am,” taking and emptying the blue goblet.

Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top