• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I just realized something - this game is like the reverse Monkey Island. A girl who doesn’t really want to be a pirate. An evil, sleazy governor who we don’t want to romance. The ship’s crew isn’t lazy and useless. And the (ghost) pirate is the hero who wins in the end. Hmm..anything else? No monkeys?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

He drops his gun? Rookie mistake!

> take gun
> shoot Lafond

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 09:58 AM

I just realized something - this game is like the reverse Monkey Island. A girl who doesn’t really want to be a pirate. An evil, sleazy governor who we don’t want to romance. The ship’s crew isn’t lazy and useless. And the (ghost) pirate is the hero who wins in the end. Hmm..anything else? No monkeys?

The skulls aren’t talking.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>GET PISTOL
Taken.
  Lafond immediately takes the advantage, forcing Nicholas in a retreat towards the foaming surf. But Nicholas fights hard, jaw set, ignoring his wounds. Lafond finally loses his smile.
  Behind the duellists, far away atop the cliff, you notice Crulley madly reloading the pistol.

>SHOOT LAFOND
But the pistol is not loaded.
  Suddenly the force of the duel turns, Nicholas advancing against Lafond’s retreat. Their blades silently flash in the moonlight. Lafond is pressed back into the shadow of the cliff, sweat beading on his forehead. Abruptly, Jamison leaps forward, metal scrapes, and his rapier licks neatly into Lafond’s ribs, like a snake slipping into its burrow. The body of the governor of St. Sinistra convulses, as in amazement, then sags dead on the sword.
  Nicholas removes a gold ring from the dead man’s finger, throwing his own cheap copy into the surf.
  Far above him, Crulley moves down the stairs.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

use powder horn on pistol, shoot Crulley

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 10:10 AM

(I’m no gun expert but don’t you need some kind of ammo as well as gunpowder?) Meh

You mean Lafond was aiming at Jamison with an unloaded gun just now?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar, you’re a genius! You discovered the SECRET of Monkey Island. Plundered Hearts came first. It’s crystal clear that Ron Gilbert based his MI on one of the stories Amy Briggs told him, some of them her own creations, when they were neighbors and she was babysitting him.

Well, maybe not.
But it IS an interesting coincidence.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>LOAD PISTOL
You pour a lumpy stream of gunpowder mixture into the barrel of the pistol tamping it as best you can.
  Crulley is levelling the pistol, feet apart, braced by the cliff wall.

>SHOOT CRULLEY
Trembling, you fire the heavy pistol. You hear its loud report over roaring surf. Crulley staggers, hit, and falls from the cliff. The gun falls from your nerveless hands.
  Time stops as you and Nicholas gaze at one another, adoring and amazed. Slowly he bows and offers his hand.
  Chestnut hair, tousled by the wind, frames the tanned oval of his face. His eyes, twin seas of blue, devour you with a love deep and true-hearted, and you are pulled into his embrace, your mouth on his, lips parted, thirsting, arching into his kiss…

Forecastle
  As dawn breaks over the eastern seas, you stand with Nicholas on his ship, looking north. “I have nothing left in England,” he says. “There I am but a destitute gentleman, wanted for piracy. Here—this isle holds too many memories; your father may have it. Mayhap my brother’s wife yet lives. I must try to find her, either way.” He takes you into his arms. “Come with me, my love? To America—they tell of endless fertile fields and strange beasts in that wild land. It won’t be easy, but we will have each other. Together, shall we carve a kingdom blessed with fair children and freedom?”
  You wrap your arms about his waist and lean into him, and smile at the rising sun.

In 669 turns, you have achieved a score of 25 out of 25 points.
  Thus you have finished the story of PLUNDERED HEARTS, earning the title, “Happily Ever After.”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 28 April 2016 10:22 AM

Oscar, you’re a genius! You discovered the SECRET of Monkey Island. Plundered Hearts came first. It’s crystal clear that Ron Gilbert based his MI on one of the stories Amy Briggs told him, some of them her own creations, when they were neighbors and she was babysitting him.

Well, maybe not.
But it IS an interesting coincidence.

You think it was some kind of revenge against her for not letting him stay up late and play computer games?

Grin

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So…

What is this garter I keep hearing about, and who is this Lucy character?

What did we miss? Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m writing a post about the garter right now. All will be explained later.
Finish the game first.  Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 28 April 2016 10:36 AM

Finish the game first.  Tongue

I thought we just did???

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 10:30 AM

You think it was some kind of revenge against her for not letting him stay up late and play computer games?

Grin

HA! There were no computer games when Ron Gilbert was young enough to need a babysitter.

We should tell him we you found the SECRET.  Gasp

EDIT: Oops! I can’t read posts and write posts at the same time, Timovieman.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So many loose endings…

The prologue - What Crulley says (“you won’t shoot me”) doesn’t actually take place, does it?

What’s the deal with the ring?
Is Cookie still alive?
And what of the crocodile?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lucy is the woman in the kitchen. Wear the boy’s clothes when entering:

> The woman smiles uncertainly, then rushes over. “Are you come from the village, boy? Dost know Lord Dimsford?” She sighs at your surprise. “So he sent you – I’m his Lucy. It’s been so long since I’ve seen him. Lafond caught me eavesdropping and now I can’t leave the grounds.”

> ask Lucy about Lafond

> “He’s a regular lout who don’t like my cooking.”

“I haven’t found Lafond’s papers, I’m watched too closely.  Tell Dimsford that I – I’m scared, and I want him to come get me. Give this to him – he’ll recognize it.”  Lucy slides a garter down her leg and holds it out to you.

>get garter
>Taken. Lucy kisses your head and returns to the fire, humming.

[[When you show the garter to papa later, he smiles and has fond memories or something like that. But there’s no need to give it to him.]]

Back to the beach…

> Cookie, Lucy, and your father are moving towards the cliff.  Nicholas stands alone at one edge of the beach. He has a rapier. You splash into the rising surf and pain needles up your leg. Blood swirls out from your shoe in the shallow water, flowing over a small pointed stone. [snip rest]

> get stone
> put it in garter

When Nicholas is retrieving his brother’s ring and Crulley is about to shoot him:

> sling stone at Crulley
> You pull the garter taut, aim, and let fly the stone. He ducks as it whirs past his ear. Papa, creeping unnoticed up the stairs, leaps and wrests the gun from his grip, toppling all three, father, pirate and gun, off the cliff. Lucy screams as the struggling pair falls to the rocks below.

You run to Nicholas, you’ve lost your father, but Nicholas’s embrace remains, comforting, shielding, a world of love. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top