• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 10:46 AM

So many loose endings…

The prologue - What Crulley says (“you won’t shoot me”) doesn’t actually take place, does it?

What’s the deal with the ring?

Yeah, the ring is a mystery. His brother’s ring with the inscription Sal sapit omnia - salt savours all. Huh?

And what are those papers Lucy is talking about?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ending credits music

And so as the sun sets on our enamoured heroes, another sun sets on our first text adventure playthrough…

A huge thanks to everyone involved in this playthrough, especially Karlok for the interesting tidbits and insight into the game, Timovieman for his puzzle genius and legwork, and diego for his musical contributions!

Personally, I’d say the debut Text Adventure Tango was a huge success! I had lot of fun. Considering it started as a boring “let’s play”, it turned into something much more interesting.

I’d like to keep the series going - maybe someone else would be interested in doing the next game? After a break, of course. Hopefully this is the first of many future group playthroughs.

Laughing

Achievements:

With a total of 16 deaths, you have won: A free voucher for a gourmet meal prepared by Cookie!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 12:57 PM

I’d like to keep the series going - maybe someone else would be interested in doing the next game?

No, we’re not changing you - but next time I want to see some character animation + better lyp sync Grin . Just kidding, great work, this was probably the only way I’d “play” Plundered Hearts, and thanks to Karlok for her comments along the way! Thumbs Up

but what happened to PAPA?!! Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

And so as the sun sets on our enamoured heroes, another sun sets on our first text adventure playthrough…

Well, that’s one version. I always thought this ending quite intriguing:

>ROW TO SHIP
You dip the oars and pull them towards you. The skiff plows through the lagoon.
  You hear distant shots and screams, and gaze back across the restless waves to the massacre on the beach. The sight blurs with your tears of shame, tears for the father and the lover you left behind.

The tale you tell Jamison’s crew, of rapine and blood, of your heroic attempt to save their captain, and of your own escape after his death in your arms, is not so far from the truth that you cannot appear sincere. Cannily, you take advantage of their temporary grief, select a private guard, and teach the rest the discipline of the whip. You have started on the ruthless road to revenge. You intend to meet Lafond again, and that time, you intend to win.

In 445 turns, you have achieved a score of 25 out of 25 points.
  Thus you have finished the story of PLUNDERED HEARTS, earning the title, “Pirate Queen.” There are other, perhaps more satisfying, conclusions.

Personally, I’d say the debut Text Adventure Tango was a huge success! I had lot of fun. Considering it started as a boring “let’s play”, it turned into something much more interesting.

I’d like to keep the series going - maybe someone else would be interested in doing the next game? After a break, of course. Hopefully this is the first of many future group playthroughs.

It was certainly interesting to see others play one of my favorite Infocom games. Probably one of their best for this kind of playthrough, seeing how it’s fairly forgiving and not as likely to put you in an unwinnable situation as some of their other games. A Mind Forever Voyaging might have worked too, but the sheer amount of text could have been intimidating.

(I haven’t kept up with the freeware scene for a long time, but Andrew Plotkin’s Spider And Web might work, too.)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

What’s the title you earn at the end of the garter/stone catapult bit?

This has been a fun playthrough. This is an awesome way to play text adventures, but the amount of work Oscar put into this seems insane. I can’t thank you enough, Oscar!

If this gets repeated, then I’d suggest either A Mind Forever Voyaging or Anchorhead. Not sure how doable they are, though. Never played them.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 28 April 2016 03:00 PM

“Orphan”. Smile

Nice third ending, eric. Hadn’t seen that one before.

This has been a fun playthrough. This is an awesome way to play text adventures, but the amount of work Oscar put into this seems insane. I can’t thank you enough, Oscar!

Yeah, thanks Oscar, it was great fun to revisit St Sinistra.

If this gets repeated, then I’d suggest either A Mind Forever Voyaging or Anchorhead. Not sure how doable they are, though. Never played them.

Anchorhead is a horror game. Fairly easy and the atmosphere is great, even if you’re not crazy about Lovecraft—I’m not and I loved Anchorhead. AMFV is a terrific game, but I agree with eric that it is less suitable. It’s story-driven, no puzzles to speak of, and has an enormous amount of text.

Infocom’s easy Wishbringer would also be a good choice in my opinion. Not too long and puzzles can be solved in two ways: by magic spells or by using objects. Of course I’m a biased fan of Brian Moriarty, who is a born storyteller in my opinion. 

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Some good suggestions there. I don’t think it necessarily needs to be easy. I was impressed by the group’s puzzle-solving ability.

I think a comedy like Douglas Adams’ Bureaucracy would be real fun in a group. Too hard? Maybe - one for later perhaps. I never got very far in that game, but it’s hilarious.

2007’s Lost Pig is supposed to be another good comedy. There is a lot of great free IF on IFDB.

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Karlok - 28 April 2016 04:34 PM
TimovieMan - 28 April 2016 03:00 PM

“Orphan”. Smile

Edit: The full text is the same as the optimal ending. (When I started writing this, I thought it was different.)

Forecastle
  As dawn breaks over the eastern seas, you stand with Nicholas on his ship, looking north. “I have nothing left in England,” he says. “There I am but a destitute gentleman, wanted for piracy. Here—this isle holds too many memories—” he pauses, gazing into your tear-filled eyes with compassion. “Mayhap my brother’s wife yet lives. I must try to find her, either way.” He takes you into his arms. “Come with me, my love? To America—they tell of endless fertile fields and strange beasts in that wild land. It won’t be easy, but we will have each other. Together, shall we carve a kingdom blessed with fair children and freedom?”
  You wrap your arms about his waist and lean into him, and smile at the rising sun.

In 446 turns, you have achieved a score of 25 out of 25 points.
  Thus you have finished the story of PLUNDERED HEARTS, earning the title, “Orphan.” There are other, perhaps more satisfying, conclusions.

And, for completeness, a fourth ending, where you save Nicholas but not yourself:

>FIRE PISTOL
You fire the pistol into the air. Startled by the loud report, Crulley jerks his pistol and fires, aiming not at Nicholas, but at you. You hear a distant scream, your own, and watch, as through from afar, your father wrestle Crulley to the ground. You feel only numbness as loving arms take you up, and Nicholas kisses you into death, his tears damp on your cheek.

***  You have died   ***

In 446 turns, you have achieved a score of 25 out of 25 points.
  Thus you have finished the story of PLUNDERED HEARTS, earning the title, “Love Transcending Death.” There are other, perhaps more satisfying, conclusions.

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 05:48 PM

Some good suggestions there. I don’t think it necessarily needs to be easy. I was impressed by the group’s puzzle-solving ability.

True, but I figured that games where you can get yourself into unsolvable situations - sometimes without even realizing until much later - or games where you can be killed by a random event happening at the wrong time would be less suitable. That’s why I wouldn’t suggest Zork I-III, for instance.

I also figured that games where events happen regardless of whether or not you are there to witness them wouldn’t work too well, because you may have to start over several times before you figure out where and when to go. Otherwise, I might have suggested Deadline because I think the story is very nicely done.

I think a comedy like Douglas Adams’ Bureaucracy would be real fun in a group. Too hard? Maybe - one for later perhaps. I never got very far in that game, but it’s hilarious.

Hmm… Maybe. It does get rather strange in the second half, with some moon logic puzzles.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

eriktorbjorn - 28 April 2016 01:33 PM

There are other, perhaps more satisfying, conclusions.

I’m curious why all your endings have this line. Does the Happy Ever After ending have this on your copy? Mine didn’t.

I’m wondering whether it’s just for the “alternate” endings - if so I wouldn’t be surprised if some people finished the game not knowing there were other endings, given how the game stops you from doing a lot of things that might harm yourself or others.

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Oscar - 28 April 2016 10:29 PM
eriktorbjorn - 28 April 2016 01:33 PM

There are other, perhaps more satisfying, conclusions.

I’m curious why all your endings have this line. Does the Happy Ever After ending have this on your copy? Mine didn’t.

No, the Happy Ever After ending doesn’t mention that there are other endings for me either, so that is obviously the preferred ending.

Though I still think the Pirate Queen ending is pretty interesting. Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

eriktorbjorn - 28 April 2016 06:06 PM

Edit: The full text is the same as the optimal ending. (When I started writing this, I thought it was different.)

Just one sentence is different.

Here—this isle holds too many memories; your father may have it.

versus

Here—this isle holds too many memories—” he pauses, gazing into your tear-filled eyes with compassion.

Though I still think the Pirate Queen ending is pretty interesting.

Yes, I agree. I’m glad they included one ending where she was not at the mercy of rapists who got tired of her body etcetera.

True, but Plundered Hearts is not hard. If we have to try many suggestions and wait for the reply each time, people might lose interest pretty soon.

2007’s Lost Pig is supposed to be another good comedy. There is a lot of great free IF on IFDB.

I played Lost Pig when someone here (AFGNCAAP?) recommended it. I don’t remember much about it, which is strange. But I certainly didn’t hate it or anything. It was short.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Congratulations on finishing, awesome job Oscar and the participants.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Anyone have suggestions for the next one? I was thinking of perhaps starting one in the not too distant future.

One that caught my eye was Hoosegow, a 2010 comedy western escape-the-room game. It looks like fun and not too hard, but unfortunately the download link is broken. Anyone played this?

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Oscar - 30 August 2016 09:33 PM

Anyone have suggestions for the next one? I was thinking of perhaps starting one in the not too distant future.

I think I already suggested it, but Spider And Web might work. It does get a bit unforgiving towards the end, but before that it’s very forgiving and the map is quite small.

(It also has one of my favorite “aha!” moments in any adventure game, so I may be a bit biased. :-)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top