• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I knew about the space bar for skipping through dialogue but not the walking to part. Good to know. I wasn’t sure who was slower, Mona or Nigel Danvers, but I wasn’t going to say anything.  Embarassed

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I would have gone mad without the space-bar. Life-saver indeed!

As for best quote, I love talking to inanimate objects. Animate ones too. The way Mona said this makes me smile:
“Hello Mr Lake Monster, I think you are so glossy and powerful looking. I bet you are just misunderstood and not monstrous at all.” (suck up!) Sarcastic

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

rtrooney - 05 June 2013 07:15 PM

Tomorrow is the 6th, and I await the next objective.

Isn’t the next objective on the 10th? I’ve just barely started, will be playing over the weekend mostly.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

RayB - 05 June 2013 07:40 PM

I knew about the space bar for skipping through dialogue but not the walking to part. Good to know. I wasn’t sure who was slower, Mona or Nigel Danvers, but I wasn’t going to say anything.  Embarassed

Oh, thank you, thank you, the advantages of the community playthrough become clear.  I thought if I had to watch Mona saunter across the screen to describe an item one more time, that would be it.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Siddhi - 05 June 2013 10:21 PM

Isn’t the next objective on the 10th? I’ve just barely started, will be playing over the weekend mostly.

Sefir - 03 June 2013 12:44 AM

You have until 10/6 to…find the key that opens the bridge door.

That’s what made me think the new objetive would be starting tomorrow. or maybe the 7th.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

10/6 means…10/6 => 1 week (7 days) after we officially started the playthrough (on 3/6). Can’t get simpler than that.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I guess its a confusion in US date format. 10/6 means 10th June, not 6th October Smile

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

So I’ve played for the past two nights about an hour each time and I JUST finished clicking every action on every item. I love that there are almost no repetitive lines when doing that (however this does not apply when using inventory items on things). I don’t mind the bad puns and jokes. Those are right up my alley! And for whatever reason I love when Mona giggles at Froderick. It makes me giggle too.

The space bar is definitely my friend. I don’t mind long conversations (I quite like them, in fact) however slow movement and scene transitions drive me crazy!

The only thing that I didn’t really like in the game was the fact that you can’t use the grinder to get oil from the fruit and nuts but have to use the groin crusher from the torture device. Kind of annoying.

I took some notes on my iPad which I don’t have with me at the moment so I will post some more specific comments later.

I haven’t gotten the key yet but I should be able to reach that point tonight since I have already thoroughly examined everything.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

CoyoteAG - 06 June 2013 11:16 AM

The only thing that I didn’t really like in the game was the fact that you can’t use the grinder to get oil from the fruit and nuts but have to use the groin crusher from the torture device. Kind of annoying.

That was one of the places I got stuck for awhile.  I had investigated the alternative early in the game and then forgot about it, despite the fact that it was right there.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Let’s crush Froderick’s nuts! Naughty

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

RayB - 05 June 2013 05:27 PM

After a little backtracking I figured out what triggers Edgar’s whereabouts. Acquiring the newspaper

Not necessarily true - it depends on what order you play in: If you use the mace on the gargoyles very early on in the game, talk to Rufus & then fly up to the turret Edgar is there. If you talk to him you find out that he’s missing the news… so when you do find the newspaper it’s obvious who to give it to!

...... however slow movement and scene transitions drive me crazy!........

The only thing that I didn’t really like in the game was the fact that you can’t use the grinder to get oil from the fruit and nuts but have to use the groin crusher from the torture device.

If you right-click the mouse on exit arrows Mona will automatically appear in the next location without her walking to it! Yes, I did find some of the scene transitions quite slow!

I tried the fruit & nuts on the grinder to start with before thinking to use it on the groin crusher - it does make sense as the crusher is more likely to extract the oil..?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, i’ve got the key so will stop there for now!

I have to agree that without the space bar and the right click to exit this game would have become pretty excruciating quite quickly. That said I quite enjoyed this section of the game and Mona, despite having a figure that would make Barbie scoff, is quite likeable.

I think the voice acting is good on the whole but for me Froderick, Edgar and the Rat’s voices are all a bit too similar. I get that you have to have a New York accent for comedy animals nowadays but given this is set in Europe with an apparently French Heroine some more variety in the voices would have been nice in these characters.

The range of responses to things is enjoyable, but in some respects it made me feel a bit like a passenger in the game rather than doing things for myself, but that’s probably just me.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how the game progresses.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 06 June 2013 12:50 PM

I tried the fruit & nuts on the grinder to start with before thinking to use it on the groin crusher - it does make sense as the crusher is more likely to extract the oil..?

Definitely one of the harder puzzles in the first part, but it’s not illogical - the only objection I can give here is that the game might have acknowledged player’s action on using fruits & nuts on the grinder, and say something like: Good idea, but that won’t extract the oil, it will just grind it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 06 June 2013 01:21 AM

10/6 means…10/6 => 1 week (7 days) after we officially started the playthrough (on 3/6). Can’t get simpler than that.

Siddhi - 06 June 2013 01:37 AM

I guess its a confusion in US date format. 10/6 means 10th June, not 6th October Smile

What he said. When talking about money I always say $00US to make sure there’s no confusion. When talking about dates, it’s probably safer just to say June 10th. That way those who live where the calendar date convention is different won’t be confused.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Add me to the list who thought the obvious choice was to use the grinder.  Grin
I’m going to guess that the writer thought that would have been too easy. However, if I recall there were a couple of verbal clues, subtle perhaps or not, as to what might be an alternate solution. Tongue

chrissie - 06 June 2013 12:50 PM

Not necessarily true - it depends on what order you play in: If you use the mace on the gargoyles very early on in the game, talk to Rufus & then fly up to the turret Edgar is there. If you talk to him you find out that he’s missing the news… so when you do find the newspaper it’s obvious who to give it to!

Good point. I like the fact there’s some variety in achieving the various goals. I didn’t think to do that as my mind was set on finding some clue elsewhere that would indicate which gargoyle held the key.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top