• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

bbX1138

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I was a little behind, but I got the key now. I’ve come across a couple Dott references too, and a couple Monkey Island ones. The music in the kitchen borrows from a theme in Monkey Island 2, and if you try picking up the wood there, there’s a reference to the “how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood”-joke from MI. Then there’s the theatre room, as allready mentioned, which is very reminiscent to the theatre of CoMI, both visually and musically (allthough with the use of different instruments).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Having never played DotT, I will not see any references. And, not being a big fan of Monkey Island games, I doubt I will see any references there as well. (I was a Sierra guy, not a LucasArts fan.)

Like a few others, I have some business to attend to this week. I have unlocked the door and have seen the cut scene. I’ve picked up a few inventory items, and I’ve managed to deliver the cat’s collar to the rats. That’s about it for me. I’m hoping that I will abe able to do a marathon session Thursday or Friday that will allow me to catch up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 10 June 2013 10:52 PM

Having never played DotT, I will not see any references.

Anytime someone mentions tentacles, then that’s a DOTT reference. Note: this happens a LOT in AVS. They were clearly big Lucasarts fans.

diego - 10 June 2013 02:21 PM

Woohoo… One of the best quotes so far is right at the start of the second part in the library:

Mona (looking at Shrowdy’s coloring book): Glad to see he was at least a normal child.
Froderick: Except he did this as an adult.

One of the things I didn’t fully “get” until late in the game was all the Shroudy bashing. From the very start you don’t see very much of him and Mona and Froderick are constantly ripping on him, so I felt like I was missing something. Sure, he kidnapped her and trapped her in a castle and she hates him but.. I don’t know. No one else felt like this?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kidnapping someone, turning them into a vampyre against their will, and then locking them inside a castle for all eternity - seems evil enough for me Smile

On another note.. it makes me a bit sad playing this game, now that Bill’s kickstarter doesn’t seem like it’s gonna make it Frown I remember Bill saying in an interview a long time ago, that if the kickstarter failed, then he would not make any more adventure games, but rather get into animation for movies and such. I hope all of you who haven’t backed “AVS: Year One” will reconsider (and that those of you who allready backed will consider upping your pledges), because this campaign needs all the help it can get. It would be an undescribable shame to lose such an unparallelled artistic talent from the genre…

please, help.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Shroudy bashing?? Whatever do you mean?

I just wanted to say…I hate you for what you have done to me, and I think you are a horrible, horrible…err…thing! And you need to die right now and get out of my way! And when I say die, I mean rot in heck, forever…forever, do you hear me?! Rot in heck and darn you for all eternity!

Having played it before, i had the advantage of knowing how much Mona hates him, so it didn’t really really felt unnatural or out of place to me.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Dag - 11 June 2013 08:46 AM

Kidnapping someone, turning them into a vampyre against their will, and then locking them inside a castle for all eternity - seems evil enough for me Smile

But he loves her! He takes care of her in his rich castle + he gave her eternal life! Just look in the intro the care that Shrowdy has for Mona and how Mona keeps yelling, insulting and ordering him all the time! Reminds me of real married couple arguements, really Tongue. He does his best to grand her every wish (except leaving him of course). I’m with Shrowdy!

EDIT: diego, perhaps now is the perfect time to post that map of yours! Smile

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Right! Here’s the simple map of the Warg castle locations - not that the game needs map desperately, but I’ve had time to spare (since I’ve already played this part), and it might perhaps help someone to catch on with the playthrough:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thanks! Good work indeed. I’ll just add that there is a shortcut from the kitchen to the torture chamber. (Wow! The Dungeon pic in your map looks very shadowed!! What happened?)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You’re right, it must have been while I was experimenting with the lightning/contrast Tongue But I did find the first part more atmospheric when played at slightly lower brightness, although I’ve increased it a little for the second part.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

But mine is nothing compared to this Grin

Speaking of which, I’ve found some early background drafts which are interestingly different than in the final version. Spot the difference! Grin

Entrance Hall:

Edgar’s Roost:

Also, it’s interesting to note that Mona was 2D model at first:

and I think the team did the right thing in switching to 3D models.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir i apologize for not interacting with the play through ‘til now ... i actually playing AVS, but haven’t found any thing intelligent to share yet ...

thought of just letting you know .

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 11 June 2013 06:23 PM

Sefir i apologize for not interacting with the play through ‘til now ... i actually playing AVS, but haven’t found any thing intelligent to share yet ...

thought of just letting you know .

No,no,no. That’s the wrong attitude. No participant in the community playthroughs is forced to write any comments if he/she doesn’t feel that way (at least not in those I lead). Part of the fun of participating however is to share your feelings/impressions about the game. You will post something when you feel you’re ready…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 11 June 2013 10:35 AM
Dag - 11 June 2013 08:46 AM

But he loves her! He takes care of her in his rich castle + he gave her eternal life! Just look in the intro the care that Shrowdy has for Mona and how Mona keeps yelling, insulting and ordering him all the time! Reminds me of real married couple arguements, really Tongue. He does his best to grand her every wish (except leaving him of course). I’m with Shrowdy!

Well, I’m not with him or against him, I just think they could have made him a better, more developed character. Not that kind of game, I suppose.

diego - 11 June 2013 06:00 PM

and I think the team did the right thing in switching to 3D models.

Oh yes, absolutely!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

There is one thing that has me puzzled, you could even say i find it rather disturbing. At one point Mona says:

What, are you crazy? I’d rather drink blood.

And then…..NOTHING!!! Not any sharp comments from Froderic! Not a single: But Mona…You do drink blood!
Whats up with that, has our little friend simply given up? Has he lost the will to remind Mona that she is a vampyre?
Dis-con-cert-ing i say!!

I must also admit that i was stuck for quite a while at the alchemy table, and had to consult a walkthrough, but i guess that is what you get for not properly reading the labels on your ingredients, though i also find it somewhat illogical, as the recipe only mentions the color, but nothing about the sugar content.

And now it is time for some very bad jokes:

How many vampires does it take to screw in a candle?
I don’t know, how many?
I’m not sure, but I’d say ..... one? Seems like a pretty easy job, if you ask me.

What has two arms and four legs?
A Chair?
You got it. However, I would have also accepted, “The pile of body parts in the corner of the Von Kiefer family torture chamber.”

I don’t think I need to speak to the oven. Maybe I’ll just use my hand to give it a small gesture of acknowledgment.
So, you’re saying you’ll give it a micro wave?

And one where i found the last line so bad that it made my toes curl:

That’s a bunch a malarkey! I have eaten this crap plenty of times when the old witch wasn’t looking.
Then they forgot a few side effects such excessive gas, body odor and a smart-ass attitude. He, he, he.
I think the operatic code forbids lame attempts at humor doesn’t it? (mumbles) Now who’s being a smart-ass?

And finally one i simply couldn’t resist posting:

FORGET IT! Forget it. Stop asking me to do disgusting things. I have feelings you know!
... You still wuv me, Froderic?
Eh, grunt.
My Frodey-Wodey? Don’t be mad at me my cute little snoogums?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 10 June 2013 09:13 PM

“how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood”

A woodchuck, would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

diego - 10 June 2013 05:24 PM
Sefir - 10 June 2013 05:01 PM

There are also a couple of DoTT references. Can you find them? Smile

I’ve found one Tongue :

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/5035/screenshot028f.jpg

And i have found another.

Has everybody found the reference to “The Wizard of Oz” and “Die Moritat von Mackie Messer”?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top