• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Got the key, not really liking it so far, but I guess it’s still early in the game. Everything is so sloooow, and Mona’s unnerving voice doesn’t help.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

millenia - 09 June 2013 07:43 PM

I tried it immediately and I haven’t played the game before Smile

Was the attempt successful?  I just left Rufus where he was.  I figure he’s not going anywhere until he’s needed anyway.  Smile

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 09 June 2013 08:58 PM
Lady Kestrel - 09 June 2013 06:38 PM

There really is no reason to do that yet, RT.  At this point in the game, there’s no clue that would make you even think about doing it.

Then how have others already done it? Unless, of course, they…well, let’s leave the possibility that they might be…I should leave that unsaid.

Actually i don’t recall anybody posting about “the rats taunting Rufus’ head” yet, apart from you of course.

What i posted was:

Iznogood - 07 June 2013 07:01 PM

And yes i also liked the burial scene, but the rat-pack, taunting Rofus and the de-nile is also pretty high on my list.

With a “listing comma” between “the rat-pack” and “taunting Rofus”, meaning that i liked the whole rat-pack thing with the reference to Dean Martin etc., AND I liked taunting Rofus!

I am looking forward to also hear the rats taunting him, and remember it from when i originally played it, but that is another story.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Iznogood - 09 June 2013 12:28 PM

...but if you define it as not everybody has exactly the same experience when playing the game, which is how i define it, then it somewhat non-linear.

You do have some influence on what order you want to do the things in, e.g. if we compare the save games from all players that has the key and is ready for the next step, then we would have different items in our inventory, and we would also have completed different task, not all the task we have been able to do so far, is necessary for getting the key. And there is of course also a lot of optional dialog, and things you can try, that isn’t necessary for the progress of the game.

I think that pretty much any game would fit that definition of non-linear wouldn’t it?  In most games you can choose which location/room you visit at what time (from the ones available to you obviously) and the order you might find inventory items and do puzzles would probably be different too.

In Gabriel Knight for instance, you might well find the flashlight on day 1 which is several days before you need it.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeah, that’s like a basic non-linearity (some games are even without it, mostly casuals) but - the amount of things you can do in different order/way varies from game to game: Day of the Tentacle/Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon are pretty much non-linear in that regard, interactive movies are usually linear, and A Vampyre Story is moderately non-linear.

That, and more solutions to the same puzzle which is rarely seen could mean even more “non-linearity” than “multiple stories”/“multiple endings”.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Just to clarify things a bit, wikipedia defines non-linear gameplay as:

A video game with nonlinear gameplay presents players with challenges that can be completed in a number of different sequences. Each player sees only some of the challenges possible, and the same challenges may be played in a different order. A video game with linear gameplay will confront a player with a fixed sequence of challenges. Every player sees every challenge and sees them in the same order.

Full description here.

I agree with Diego that AVS is moderately non-linear, we might all see every challenge (linear), but the challenges can be played in different order (non-linear).

Edit: Also note that wikipedia distinguishes between non-linear gameplay and none-linear narrative, though both can add non-linearity to a game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, I haven’t played enough to the game to say really but from what we have played so far… on that definition I suppose you are right as

SERIOUS puzzle spoilers
To get the key you need to give Edgar the paper and the corpse Jerkey and those items are obtained by opening Shrowdy’s coffin and sending Froderick down the trapdoor…

…and you can do either one of those (and their constituent parts) first. However, I stand by the comment that it could apply to almost any Adventure Game!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 10 June 2013 11:13 AM

However, I stand by the comment that it could apply to almost any Adventure Game!

You’re right, but like I said, it’s the amount of these stuff in the gameplay that will probably and ultimately make a game pretty non-linear, linear or something in-between. Monkey Island 2 is much more non-linear in that regard than Tales of MI, even though Tales of MI does have few things that can be done in different order.

Or for example, Fahrenheit has a non-linear narrative, but is pretty much linear regarding number of possible order of things that can be done inside the scenario. The Last Express is one of the most non-linear adventures exactly because it features both non-linear narrative and non-linear order of things.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

If I recall, today is the deadline for the first assignment. Will the next objective be posted soon? It’s tough to resist temptation.  Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Here we are again!! Now that we have a head start (do you hear me Rufus??), we are all ready to proceed to the next chapter, which involves lots of Alchemy, a theatrical desception, a golem and a kitten assassination!!

We heard a stabbed Shrowdy yell,
We opened the stinking Death Pits of Hell,
Rats and fountains we met,
Crows we fed,
Gargoyles we destroyed with fun,
Key obtained - done.

You have a week (until 17/6) to ESCAPE FROM CASTLE WARG, but do not proceed any further. Stop at the moment you take control, exactly after meeting the most interesting character in the game (you will see…)
For the moment, start by trying the key to the door…an interesting cinematic awaits….

EDIT: In this chapter we meet one of the 2 Great Bugs in the game. If you have emptied your perfume bottle, DO NOT REFILL IT because you won’t be able to empty it again, while actually you need the vial for something else!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 June 2013 12:37 AM
millenia - 09 June 2013 07:43 PM

I tried it immediately and I haven’t played the game before Smile

Was the attempt successful?  I just left Rufus where he was.  I figure he’s not going anywhere until he’s needed anyway.  Smile

Mona’s reply was pretty much “not yet”.

Not sure about how much I can play this week, very busy again. And next week there’s a birthday party and Midsummer. I’ll catch up on the last part though if I get left behind.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Woohoo… One of the best quotes so far is right at the start of the second part in the library:

Mona (looking at Shrowdy’s coloring book): Glad to see he was at least a normal child.
Froderick: Except he did this as an adult.

And BTW, just now I’m fully aware of the whole diary thing. It’s quite an interesting addition, and luckily the site still works.

And of course, one of the best quotes of the first part is (already mentioned) when using Fruits and nuts on crusher - “Let’s crush Froderick’s fruits and nuts” Grin

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

And of course, one of the worst quotes of the first part is when Froderick is presented with the idea of a bath in Edgar’s washtub and compares his way of washing (similar to cats according to Mona) to that of humans. You humans should lick yourselves clean, you don’t know what your missing.  Yum

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

There are also a couple of DoTT references. Can you find them? Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 10 June 2013 05:01 PM

There are also a couple of DoTT references. Can you find them? Smile

I’ve found one Tongue :

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/5035/screenshot028f.jpg

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top