• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finally managed to get the game installed and spend an hour or so with it. I haven’t really got that far yet, but thought I would post some first thoughts.

I did start this game years ago but gave up on it quite quickly so I was determined to come at it with an open mind this time and hopefully enjoy playing it through.

The introduction is very strong. The music is really good and fitting and I like the back story of Mona’s entrapment told in the pictures along with the credits. Visually, this isn’t necessarily my favourite style but it is well drawn and engaging and fits the scene and tone of the game well. Basically, it looks nice!

I did get a sinking feeling when, at the first point you take over control of the game, there is an unfunny wisecrack from Froderick and an annoying laugh from Mona and I remembered what I had a problem with on the first attempt! However, determined not to let that cloud my vision of the whole game, I pressed on.

The locations look good, the humour isn’t as bad as I remembered it although it does verge on the excruciating at points. Mona’s denial of her “condition” is presented in a family friendly way and although the basic premise is a dark one, the game feels smooth and light hearted, which seems to work OK so far.

So I have been “collecting” inventory items, talking with Iron Maidens and have even ventured into a puzzle or two. However, most of the time has been spent looking at things and getting the two fold commentary from Mona and Froderick. It is entertaining and once you are adjusted to the pace of it quite enjoyable.

Anyway, hopefully I will have time to dive back in tonight and try and find out how exactly I can grease that second hinge as I can’t remember it at all!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Trivia - just saw this early trailer (spoiler-free) for the game. Funny Grin

Lady Kestrel - 04 June 2013 09:04 PM

I also had a small glitch where escape wouldn’t take me to the main menu for some reason, so I had to force quit without a save.

Have you patched the game, LK? I know it fixes few bugs and glitches.

Yes, it is cozy if you ignore the wilted flowers and the “vases.”

Fair enough. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 04 June 2013 06:30 PM

I’ve just remembered:

This has to be one of the COZIEST adventure locations! Smile

I agree, though I think this could be said about almost every background in this game Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Regarding the actual bed, does Mona think she sleeps there when in reality she spends daylight hours in the coffin? Just wondering..
Meh

The fact that Froderick’s eyes and lashes aren’t physically attached to his head I assume to be symbolic to bats having very poor vision.

Anyhow I think the soundtrack is great and really fits the overall mood of the game. Admittedly some of the dialogue exchanges can be a little overbearing but I certainly have to appreciate the effort that went into it all. As for the talk icon, well let’s just say you’re not punished for wanting to use it on everything, even uhm, a hanky.

No glitches or bugs encountered with the first round.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

diego - 05 June 2013 06:38 AM

Have you patched the game, LK? I know it fixes few bugs and glitches.

I’m not sure if the patch is Mac compatible, Diego, but in any case, everything is running smoothly now.  I’ll just save a bit more often.

I love the trailer, by the way.  Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2992

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 04 June 2013 09:02 PM

Well, I’ve encountered a technical glitch that may keep me from completing the game.

Save Game doesn’t. When I save a game and return to that saved game all inventory items in the coffin at the time of the original save are gone. Thus requiring me to replay to re-acquire them. It’s a very tedious process, and by the time you’ve done it four times, seems hardly worth the effort.

I searched the entire net for any information available for the bug you encountered, but alas, this seems to be a first… Frown
The only advice I can give is to try the game’s patch…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Interplay - 04 June 2013 12:10 PM

I’m undecided about the mechanics of the inventory system.  The only purpose I see for it so far would be to make the game more realistic.  But is this really a game striving for realism?

That’s what I thought. Oh, so the game is sensible enough not to let you stuff everything in your pockets? Oh okay, that make sen… wait a minute, I’m carrying a giant coffin around. And there’s a talking bat. And I’m a vampire.

Of all the games which a realistic inventory system could possibly improve the game, you’d think AVS would be among the last. And yet I do like the system! Smile

diego - 04 June 2013 06:30 PM

This has to be one of the COZIEST adventure locations! Smile Seriously, I think it’s a combination of a snowing weather, comfy-looking bad, candle lights… and music, that gives me a great feel of “warmness” each time I climb up in to the room.

Yes, it is cozy if you ignore the wilted flowers and the “vases.”

Don’t forget the torture chamber and lava hell-pits. I do agree it has a cozy feel Smile

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve got to the point where I have the key & will venture no further until the next part of the playthrough starts!

I’m so glad I took part in this as I’m enjoying it so much more than the 1st time I played - no advantage there as I just don’t remember any of the puzzles!

I love the rapport between Mona & Froderick & feel pleased that, in her predicament, Mona has a reliable friend! I love the voice acting but some of the jokes/puns that Froderick comes out with really grate - grr! I like the way though that Mona titters at some of them but what’s funnier is when she uncharacteristically teases or jokes herself then laughs! You can find out that Mona is irritated by Froderick at times if you: use him on some of the torture devices

I think the voice acting is brilliant & I especially liked Barb with such a motherly way about her who comes across as very nice but indifferent/resigned to her duty of….
I also loved the rats!

I’d forgotten about the inventory system - I think the 1st time I played it I thought there was going to be a lot of back-tracking but not so! I like the idea of keeping something in mind - I’m not quite sure whether the game needed that but I enjoyed the novelty of it & the cut scenes to retrieve something!

I found all of the puzzles very logical but it took me a long time after collecting things & trying everything to progress! After getting the key I have replayed through the section in a different order & found that depending on that: Edgar will either be outside of his home washing with stuff pegged on the line or inside with door shut & nothing on the line! 

I liked the background music - some of it reminded me of the Casper game!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

After a little backtracking I figured out what triggers Edgar’s whereabouts. Acquiring the newspaper

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Interplay - 04 June 2013 12:10 PM

I’m undecided about the mechanics of the inventory system.  The only purpose I see for it so far would be to make the game more realistic.  But is this really a game striving for realism?

Oscar - 05 June 2013 04:37 PM

Of all the games which a realistic inventory system could possibly improve the game, you’d think AVS would be among the last. And yet I do like the system! Smile

Good points, but I must also say that I’m undecided as for now until I see more of the game. I do, however, agree with chrissie about the “novelty” factor as it brings a nice change of pace. But how about this: What if Guybrush was to “memorize” a hammer on Scabb Island, and then needs to use it on Booty Island? Is it in game’s favor to adopt this system when the puzzle spans through bigger space and distant locations?

However - there IS one thing this system might be good for - in some games, you can’t pick up stuff until you need it, and with some poor design you might totally forget about it or think that you don’t need it in order to progress. Here, the character doesn’t say: “I don’t need it” which might deceive you, nor “I don’t need it now” without picking it up, which might make you forget about it, but it places the icon in the inventory, always reminding you that it’s needed actually.

Dag - 05 June 2013 10:47 AM

I agree, though I think this could be said about almost every background in this game Smile

I don’t know, the Entrance hall seems pretty “cold” to me (even though there’s a fireplace there) Tongue

chrissie - 05 June 2013 04:50 PM

I also loved the rats!

Absolutely, and a nice “crime” feel to them!

@millenia Nice quote selection! I won’t say which is my favorite quote in the first part because it’s a puzzle spoiler, but here’s two others I liked:

And how about that “Space” key function? Life savior! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Okay!  I finally got the key.  I have to say that I do prefer Rufus this way.  Oh, and I think they missed another awful pun about him, maybe something like What’s this on the bridge ahead? Laughing

By the way, what does the space bar do?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 June 2013 06:17 PM

By the way, what does the space bar do?

Skips the dialog line, cut-scenes, transitions between screens and whats more - walking to a desired spot. Quite useful when wanting to breeze through the already-played parts of the game.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah!  I’ll keep that in mind if I need it.  Thanks.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 05 June 2013 03:51 PM

I searched the entire net for any information available for the bug you encountered, but alas, this seems to be a first… Frown
The only advice I can give is to try the game’s patch…

Well, I did install the patch last night, and everything seems to be working. So I guess I will be participating in the Playthrough after all.

But I must come clean, even though it is humiliating to do so. I’m not sure the patch had anything to do with it. In any other adventure I have ever played that allowed fo multiple saves, I remember the newest save resided next to the next available save location. Not so with this game. In AVS the most recent save resides at a point farthest from the next available save location. Thus it is possible that my “problem” resulted from reloading the wrong saved game. Pan

Tomorrow is the 6th, and I await the next objective.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Don’t feel bad.  I had some confusion loading saves as well because the dates are set up with the day first.  I looked at them and was wondering where my March 6 saves came from.  Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top