• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And I’m in as well. Thumbs Up

I still had the game installed from when I purchased it three years ago, but I never played beyond the boat house. This time I’ll finish it, darn it!

I just checked and my install still works (never doubted that it wouldn’t).

IIRC, I barely got further than obtaining the key three years ago, and I can already say that I’ll like the pace for this playthrough… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 03 June 2013 01:08 PM

i am not disrespecting or you are not being harsh its not about Sefir it a Q about how the playthough is being held here.
but any how i really SORRY as my post (i see now) is kinda discouraging for the whole thing here which had been taking months and above that for your effort .. i hope you take my post as a failed funny inquiry Sefir.. that last thing i want to do is to be disrespectful to the most nicest member of AGforums

No problem. I do reassure you however. This IS a fast pace playthrough! Really!! (a whole game in 3 weeks!! CCS was finished in 3 months! Not to mention TSB…) The best thing I can hope for is that you will get used of a playthrough’s pace (“the pace of the team” as I often call it) so that you would easier join any future playthroughs. I believe that AVS is the ideal game for this.

TimovieMan - 03 June 2013 01:10 PM

And I’m in as well. Thumbs Up

I was wandering when you’ll show up…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thanks Sefir for considering .

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 03 June 2013 12:19 PM

It’s about Froderick’s voice

I’m glad you mentioned it - easily one of the better performances in adventures. Also, his jokes might not always seem too “funny”, but I like to look at him like a lighthearted sidekick, and not the wisecracking comedian whose every joke needs to have me rolling on the floor laughing. He’s just full of character, much thanks to the voice actor. Rats’ voice is great, too, but Shrowdy’s is done poorly, mostly because it’s too silent and without the subtitles I had troubles to understand what was he saying in the tower scene.

Of course you like the backgrounds!

Actually, even though of course I agree the scenery is great, I’d like to nitpick here a bit - I’ve always found the (beautiful) backgrounds to have somehow too much “blur” to it. I can’t describe what it is actually, but compared to Monkey Island 3 they’re not really that “crystal clear” and vivid. It might also be an artistic approach, like the dominant purple/violet color palette.

and the inventory system that I believe there will be an interesting discussion

I said it already on couple of occasions - it’s an interesting idea, but it really boils down to the standard inventory items usage. It just adds to the realism, but I don’t think many players would complain if Mona would actually carry a mace in her pocket. Tongue I don’t know if there’s more to the interface later in the game, but as it is, it’s a nice idea but would need more twists to it to actually make some radical change to the usual type of interface.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Started and it was nice to see the music and vocals were handled by portuguese Smile
I will now keep repeating how the soundtrack is awesome! Tongue

The intro was ok, nothing special, liked the storytelling through the book pictures.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

millenia - 03 June 2013 03:21 PM

Think about Mona in the community playthrough that is just starting:

Hey millenia, are you playing some other version of A Vampyre Story than me:

Tongue

I like your colors better. Frown

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Nah, it was just a random picture linked from the depths of the internets. I hadn’t actually started playing yet.

But now I did. And I don’t think the pace is slow (not that I would speak of an experience, I only tried this game very briefly years ago), just looking around the surroundings took me over 2 hours. Hardly anything has happened yet. (This is a good thing and also a little bit of a bad thing - I’m one of the people that doesn’t want to miss out on the jokes so it really takes ages go everything through.)

Most of the puns are just horrible, but I guess they are supposed to be. Some of the other humour works better. I took screenshots and quotes from some of the better ones but I’ll post them later, not that they’d have spoilers, just heading for bed now.

I though the beginning was very nice, the opera song and the opening credits. Mona is a good character - I definitely understand she may annoy people but I prefer these kind of colourful characters to the overused boring-and-nice-protagonist. Her denial has been mostly funny so far.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

...There are people that actually can’t participate 24h/day playing. They can have use only a small amount of their time in playing….

I have limited time to play so I tend to play for hours as & when I can when I should be doing something else! So I really like the pace of this playthrough to not do that & also to be able to take time to really explore & try everything!

.......People, feel free to post your first impressions about the game. (Of course you like the backgrounds! It’s about Froderick’s voice, the game’s humour and the inventory system that I believe there will be an interesting discussion…)

I’ll put this in spoiler tags in case anyone hasn’t started yet In the introduction Mona & Froderick see Shrowdy get the key from the gargoyle to open the bridge door. Question: If the gargoyle has the key after Shrowdy left how did Shrowdy lock the door behind him & the gargoyle still have a key - was it a spare? - or maybe it was a yale lock where he handed the key back & was able to click it shut from the other side? 

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Froderick reminds me a bit of Arthur in JP 3.  He had some awful puns, too.  The voices don’t bother me at all, and I love Mona’s little fangs.

I’ve been wandering around collecting things and “possible” things and had a long conversation with the Iron Maiden.  So far I remember several things I have to do but have forgotten exactly how to do them, which is good.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 June 2013 08:44 PM

So far I remember several things I have to do but have forgotten exactly how to do them, which is good.

Yeah, me too!! Isn’t it funny to be stuck in the parts you’ve already played Grin

Lady Kestrel - 03 June 2013 08:44 PM

Froderick reminds me a bit of Arthur in JP 3.

Yeah, I think you’ve nailed it… also of Dalboz in Grand Inquisitor

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Question. When I’m ready to save I click save and it adds another save. Is it possible to over-write a save?

Among other parts, the woman who voices Mona also played Edna Strickland in TellTale’s Back to the Future series. Hard to believe it’s the same person.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am playing the game at a pace of about 1 hour/day. I feel as if I am falling behind. I have three days to find the key.

Overall impression is that I like the graphics. They are unusual. Voices are superb.

I’m sure I’m missing some hot spots. I will say that going through the “see, touch, connverse” on everything is entertaining, but frustrating if it doesn’t lead to anything. I’ve yet to find a use for the Fly option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2004-03-03

PM

rtrooney - 03 June 2013 10:13 PM

I’m sure I’m missing some hot spots.

Pressing a key (I think it’s Tab) will identify all the hotspots in a location.  The game is generally innocent of pixel hunting, but there is one particular item I don’t think I ever would have found without that feature.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There’s a navigation arrow I missed many times when I first played the game because it’s at the edge of one of the screens.  It’s the one that leads to the theater.  Fortunately, I found it fairly easily this time.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

chrissie - 03 June 2013 06:39 PM

I’ll put this in spoiler tags in case anyone hasn’t started yet In the introduction Mona & Froderick see Shrowdy get the key from the gargoyle to open the bridge door. Question: If the gargoyle has the key after Shrowdy left how did Shrowdy lock the door behind him & the gargoyle still have a key - was it a spare? - or maybe it was a yale lock where he handed the key back & was able to click it shut from the other side? 

You will find out that both the door and key are magically enchanted. My guess is that the key teleports back to the gargoyle on Shrowdy’s will.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top