• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Renacimiento - 03 February 2017 08:02 PM
TerminusEst - 03 February 2017 12:18 AM

At the beginning of Day 4 (right before the game gives control back to the player after the end of Day 3), did anyone else notice the Red Man peering into Grandma Rain’s house? Creepy!

Really? Wow ... I did not notice that.

Went back for some photographic evidence.  Wink  This link is a spoiler!

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Joel for taking the time to call in on our playthrough & address some queries thanks to TerminusEst! Thumbs Up I hope you will stick around as I’m sure we will have a few more (if not many!) questions for you on concluding the game!  Smile
Meanwhile thank you for posting that larger shot of the dorm-room as there’s quite a lot more clarity especially appreciated by those of us trying to identify the posters!  Also I loved the revelation that Kathy is of Swedish descent via the name Regn!

Kathy Rain is such a strong memorable character it would be great to have a sequel!

I see that the general scores for the Trivia Quiz were quite low with Lady Kestrel doing well with 3/5! I probably would have only have got 2/5 at the very most myself!  (2 & 3 as they stuck in my head) but never mind as it’s exactly what it is - interesting detail but trivia! 

Renacimiento - 02 February 2017 03:55 PM

I finished on the 2nd, and the truth is that there is not much to say, it is very short and also very simple regarding the activities and things to do.

The puzzles of day 2 were fun. The whole sequence was very redolent of mid-1990s PC geekery. The audio-editing puzzle was very reminiscent of a similar one in GK2.

Lady Kestrel - 03 February 2017 02:20 PM

I finished Day 2.  I liked the clues Kathy gave for the sound editing puzzle.  I had gotten it within the ballpark when Kathy tweaked it for me.  I’m wondering if this was based on a certain amount of unsuccessful attempts or how close I finally got.  I also liked the results from trying to edit the third recording. Gasp

I was very amused in Day 2 with ‘bad girl’ Kathy Rain being introduced to a computer hacker by her seemingly religious ‘good girl’ room-mate!
No, not so much to do but I agree that there was plenty of very enjoyable puzzling in Day 2. But, a little artistic license exercised here maybe? - scanning an audio tape in 1995 on a scanner? If I tried doing that I’d just get a picture of an audio tape! Laughing 

Re the audio-editing Lady kestrel - it did seem that you just had to include enough keywords.

The final message that Kathy got was a little disturbing & the dream at the end of the day was a little perplexing! I haven’t yet had time to re-play Day 3! 

Mikekelly - 03 February 2017 12:44 PM

Thanks for putting this out on the iPad - it will be among my favorites on the system! It has made a few “best of” lists.
Heart

Thanks MikeKelly, it’s useful to know that the game works well on a hand-held gadget! Smile

I know that those of you that have got to the beginning of Day 4 are keen to get on but please can we stick to at least Monday afternoon before moving on to give time to other participants. Smile 

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

chrissie - 04 February 2017 01:27 PM

I know that those of you that have got to the beginning of Day 4 are keen to get on but please can we stick to at least Monday afternoon before moving on to give time to other participants. Smile 

It’ll be tough, but I’ll be good.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Day 2. Was at a loss at the beginning. Didn’t realize at first that everything I needed to do was written out for me. Have started Day3. Should finish before the Monday deadline.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I am enjoying the slow reveal of Kathy’s backstory and feelings about her family.

Similarly, I like that the characters, both living and dead, are not one-dimensional good/evil cardboard cutouts. I enjoyed hearing Beau’s denunciation of Joseph Rain’s self-righteousness… It stood in stark contrast with how most others felt about old Joe.

Favorite puzzle: all of Day 2. Least favorite: I did not enjoy picking that flower up Naughty  Angry

But I gleaned that Beau also had a little respect for Joseph & regarded him as the ‘real’ law but very narrow-minded.
Yes, it did seem like a terrible thing to pick that rare wild flower!

Renacimiento - 03 February 2017 08:02 PM

* When we visited the motorcyclists’ bar I was surprised by Kathy’s reaction when she talked about her father, a wound that is still open much more than I anticipated.

* The revelation at the end of day 3 where we found out that the priest was involved in the theft of the paintings it left me anxious to start the 4th day as soon as possible and go and confront the priest, what will he say about it? Hmmm speculations for now.

* In the last dream/ nightmare where we see the red man with the boy we saw in the cemetery (Kathy’s son?) they were in the house of that girl who supposedly committed suicide?

Yes, it had to have been the current priest that was involved in the theft as his father Bill died in 1983 & the paintings were stolen in 1986

In the last dream where you see the boy you saw in the cemetery in Sue’s cabin the red man says something like ‘you’re both unwanted’ one of them I guess being Kathy’s son - is the other Nathan?

At the beginning of Day 4 (right before the game gives control back to the player after the end of Day 3), did anyone else notice the Red Man peering into Grandma Rain’s house? Creepy!

I think I saw that the 1st time I played & missed it the next time.

Lady Kestrel - 03 February 2017 11:21 PM

I just finished Day 3 and am very anxious to continue.  The mystery has been unfolding nicely.  I liked the head of the Black Hats but was happy to use the tazer on that groping jerk.  I’m starting to think that something is off with the priest.  I suspect he knows more than he’s letting on.

Yes, I liked the whole BH part as it also gave you an insight into the life of Kathy’s father & the kind of allegiance that that kind of ‘gang’ have in that they accepted Kathy & the reasons why Kathy feels so ‘bitter’ about her father.

I’ll try & up-date the time-line tomorrow & do an update of events as much as I can as it’s getting a little more involved & complicated. But there will be some light relief to be had from another Trivia Quiz to cover days 2 & 3! Laughing 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Day 3. A lot of backtracking. Not sure how much of it was necessary. [spoiler]Minimum three visits to the Forest Preserve. Well, they were all necessary, but everything could have been done in one visit[/spoiler].

Re: The priest. The reference from Beau is that it was a bearded priest, so it was obviously “Father Bill” and not Isaac. While Isaac probably knows what his father did, there is nothing concrete (yet) that indicates he was involved.

Like the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, I caught a glimpse of him as he was walking away.  Definitely creepy!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 05 February 2017 04:16 PM

Finished Day 3. A lot of backtracking. Not sure how much of it was necessary. [spoiler]Minimum three visits to the Forest Preserve. Well, they were all necessary, but everything could have been done in one visit[/spoiler].

Possibly depending on what order you do things? Smile

rtrooney - 05 February 2017 04:16 PM

Re: The priest. The reference from Beau is that it was a bearded priest, so it was obviously “Father Bill” and not Isaac. While Isaac probably knows what his father did, there is nothing concrete (yet) that indicates he was involved.

Like the game.

If you’re referring to Beau being approached for the theft of the paintings they weren’t stolen until 1986 & Bill died suddenly in 1983….

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game Tim!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 05 February 2017 04:26 PM

Possibly depending on what order you do things? Smile

I was thinking more of the game’s design. You had to go once to meet the Red Man. Again to pick up the torn paper and again to pick the flower. Needing to go back three times, (and possibly more that weren’t require,) seems more of a way to extend gameplay than a necessity.

If you’re referring to Beau being approached for the theft of the paintings they weren’t stolen until 1986 & Bill died suddenly in 1983….

I am not paying nearly enough attention to the timeline. In fact, I have been paying NO attention to the timeline!  Pan

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

diego - 28 January 2017 10:21 PM

I suspected it earlier, but the moment I stepped into the Granny’s house I got the overwhelming GK1 vibe!

It’s kind of crazy how many locations and minor plot points seemed pulled straight from GK1.  Like really, in how many games do you visit your grandmother and search her attic for clues about your dead grandfather’s past?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, I caught a glimpse of him as he was walking away.  Definitely creepy!

This sent chills down my spine! The plot is getting VERY interesting - can’t hardly wait for day 4!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finished days 2 and 3.

As others have said, Day 2 is short but enjoyable enough. I really like the way that all the puzzles feel focused and like they are leading somewhere concrete with possibly one exception on day 3.

One of the things I think makes the game stand out is how well the conflicts in Kathy are presented. Not forced down your throat in a kind of “look at me I’m doing something clever!” way but arising from the circumstances. For instance…

Kathy’s attitude to her father. As Renacimiento said it’s clearly a wound that’s still open, but in getting Beau to talk she is relying on the club’s goodwill to her father and hearing about “the good old times” they had with him. It prompts a negative reaction towards him from Kathy but how easy is it to judge the conduct of parents back when she was a child?

Things aren’t really black and white, can we unequivocally hate this father as Kathy appears to do or is he kind of a good guy/shades of gray?

From Kathy’s perspective, is he perhaps more like her (or is she like him) then she realises or would like?

I love the feel of day 3 where it really feels like the game is opening up, so much to investigate and questions that you care about and want answers to. A properly involving mystery.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 05 February 2017 04:44 PM

I am not paying nearly enough attention to the timeline. In fact, I have been paying NO attention to the timeline!  Pan

I’m not sure how helpful it is but as connected events in the game seem to take place over 20+ years I thought it would help to put them into perspective.

I’ve just up-dated the time-line to incorporate info from Days 2 & 3 which you can find under the ‘SPOILER ALERT’ post on Page 5 of this thread. Please feel free to let me know if you disagree & have other thoughts!  Smile

Intense Degree - 06 February 2017 06:47 AM

I love the feel of day 3 where it really feels like the game is opening up, so much to investigate and questions that you care about and want answers to. A properly involving mystery.

Yes! It certainly was an interesting day that compels you to want to know more! & it’s now time to unravel a little more of this mystery after starting with a re-cap of Days 2 & 3.

Day 2:[spoiler] Kathy, with the use of Eileen’s computer & the help of hacker Dave, is able to enhance the over-exposed photo which shows 3 strange lights in the pattern of a tilted triangle, & an unusual red flower. The pattern matches the logo of the Church of the Holy Trinity (the only church in Conwell Springs)
Eileen through research is able to identify the flower & also pinpoint the exact location of where the photo was taken.
Kathy also, using a spliced recording, is able to prompt Erica Wade (Charles’ daughter) to call her & answer some questions.  Kathy learns that Charles & Joseph hadn’t been talking for some time before the incident in 1981. Erica mentions that she had met Kathy when she was a baby although Kathy’s grandmother claims she hadn’t seen Charles since Kathy was born.
Is that the last time Joseph visited Erica & why on Day 1 Erica told Kathy when she asked to speak to Charles that she was 20 years too late?  The 1st answer-machine message on the tape inviting Joseph to visit Erica & her 1st-born son seems to obviously precede that visit.
There is ‘static’ on the tape following that message which briefly on the computer shows up in place of it as a repetitive message “I see you Kathy Rain” [/spoiler]

The day concludes with Kathy dreaming about the Red Man & his grey-scale ‘alter-ego? hanging upside down the location being in a decrepit alternative reality of Sue Myers’ cabin. They are playing chess.
ae: “Turning your pawn into a queen. Is that the plan buddy boy”
RM: “You know me. I’m always playing the long game, old friend.”
ae: “That may be, but you’re running out of pieces. First you lost your queen, then your knight.”
RM: All that matters is the king.”
ae:  “Delusional as always. The king is dead.”
RM: “Long live the king. Check.”

Day 3: Kathy goes to the Nature Reserve & the Red Man appears.
“We’ve met before haven’t we” he says seeming to know her claiming that Kathy told him her name.
Kathy feels strange as if she’ dreaming.  The Red Man says a few interesting things:
“It’s the mending. I will try to facilitate.”
“Focus Kathy. Listen to the drowned girl.”
“She’s the anomaly, the missing refrain. The convergence point of things past, and events yet to happen.”
“I knew you wouldn’t disappoint. I’m glad given how much trouble I went through to be here. You see, my name was taken from me, so I claimed a colour in its stead. The next time we meet, you’ll know the exact hue of red.”
“You’re on the right path Kathy,. Follow your grandfather and everything will work out in the end.”
Kathy suddenly finds herself at her grandmother’s house.
Kathy goes back to find the Red Man again but instead finds a torn page with Nathan’s drawing of the Red Man.
Kathy goes to Sue’s cabin & completes Nathan’s picture with the torn page.
The Red Man is apparently an imaginary friend that Nate’s had since he was small.
Sue confesses that she used to smoke the scythe flower before it became endangered.
You also learn from her that Lily painted a similar picture to the photo of lights except that they were depicted above the lake with a hand reaching out of the water trying to touch them. In the background the forest was burning.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Day 3 (cont) Kathy visits Charles Wade who is a patient at the local clinic & learns that ‘Cocky’ is the 3rd person in Joseph’s photo - Jimmy Cochran who gets committed to a psychiatric hospital after becoming fixated on circles & trying to harm himself.
Charles tells Kathy that he & Joseph grew apart because of the “vile & destructive behaviour” of Brian (Joseph’s son) & Sharon i.e. her parents but Kathy also learns that Charles helped with the expenses for her grandfather’s healthcare from 1981.
Charles bought Lily’s art speculatively.
The paintings were later stolen from his mansion with the break-in witnessed by Franklin Goldlarb who turns out to be Goober. Goober is able to match up the inscription on Kathy’s lighter with that on a ring he picked up (& pawned) dropped by one of the burglars. This leads Kathy to the club-house of a biker’s gang that her father associated with called The Black Hats where she learns from their president Beau that they were hired by a bearded preacher to steal Lily’s paintings.  To get this info from Beau though she offers him a drink called a Bloodier Mary, a drink concocted by her father Brian which has the extra ingredient of the red scythe flower.
Beau tells her that her father possibility went to Mexico to get away from newfound responsibilities & that her mother was a paranoid- delusional.

Kathy visits priest Isaac Price who tells her that the Church of the Holy Trinity was founded by his father William T Price after seeing 3 bright lights in the sky (hence the logo) when he was on the brink of committing suicide.  William aka Father Bill collaborated with Joseph who was not a religious man (or a member of the church) to do charity work together.  Isaac took over the church when his father died suddenly but the church declined.
It turns out that Isaac knew Lily Myers as he worked as a substitute teacher at the high school she attended.

The day again ends with Kathy dreaming
This time in the decrepit alternative of Sue Myers’ cabin, Kathy sees ‘her son’ with the grey-scale ‘alter-ego? of the Red Man. Only he speaks as they both turn to look upon Lily’s painting:
“Do you see?”
“You are both unwanted. Both discarded”
Lily’s painting then goes up in flames.
“Good, lick the flames, buddy boy! Lick the flames and feel the hatred burn!”

But to conclude here’s your chance to know (but only if you want to! Laughing ) how much attention you’ve been paying with this next Trivia Quiz (easier questions than those for Day 1?):

6 What is Kathy’s middle name?
Agatha
7 What is the latin name for the red scythe?
Rosea falcis
8 Where did Eileen get her computer from?
Eileen borrowed it from the school
9 What film does hacker Dave make a reference to in jest?
Silence of the Lambs
10 What’s grandma’s name?
Mary-Elizabeth
11 How old is Charles Wade?
71 - dob: 08/14/24
12 What was the name of the Wade’s family dog?
Roffles
13 At the clinic, who is ‘employee of the month’?
Carlita Mendez
14 What’s the Sheriff’s name?
Boyks
15 Who found Lily floating in the lake?
[spoiler] Goober’s dad - according to Goober [/spoiler]

Otherwise just now go ahead to play through Day 4!

I thought to allow anyone that has fallen behind to have a chance to catch up that we could aim for finishing this Day by Friday(10th) evening & stop when you get to the beginning of Day 5 Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I got 4.5 correct in the trivia.  I knew the first part of the Latin name for #7 but not the second.  I also got 8, 11, 13 & 14 correct.

I’m looking forward to continuing later on tonight.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top