• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

So, done with day 5.
Most of the puzzles are a bit on the easy side, but I guess that’s the price for them being so natural and logical. The safe puzzle had me stumped for a bit, liked that one.

I think Kathy is bit too quick with the advice in some cases, it takes some of the joy out of discovering it for myself - even when I already figured it out.

Really hooked on the story, hope it doesn’t stumble too much on the ending. And really like Kathy and her grandma. But goddamnit breaking into the Myers Cabin and destroying Lily’s painting, that felt even worse than the flower! Being a typical inconsiderate adventuregame protagonist just doesn’t feel right in this game.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think you’re two days ahead of us in the playthrough, Duck, so I’m not going to look at your spoilers yet.  Most of us are just starting Day 4.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 06 February 2017 06:30 PM

I think you’re two days ahead of us in the playthrough, Duck, so I’m not going to look at your spoilers yet.  Most of us are just starting Day 4.

What Lady K said. I’m hoping to start Day 4 tonight. But if I can’t, I still have until Friday to get the job done. And, since I seem to be the last person posting when I finish the current assignment, my guess is that I will be posting on Friday. I catch up, but am rarely ahead until the end. Current mantra of the New England Patriots.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Duck of Doom - 06 February 2017 06:20 PM

So, done with day 5.

Don’t go too far, the rule was to finish the 4th day and stop at the beginning of the 5th.

I just finished 4th day, the story is still very intriguing and has complicated a little more, making it a bit darker and gloomy, which I like,  but at the same time it has forced me to pay much more attention to the story, I’m still not quite sure what’s happening, for example, who the man in red is?, the priest said something, but I still do not understand his existence, not yet,  in any case I feel that I am near the end (I do not know how many days are) although I hope I am wrong.

I must admit that the poems/tombs puzzle to be able to determine the numbers of the safe, I solved it by pure luck, I did not know exactly what I had to do, and I think there is nothing worse when you can not solve a puzzle but not because you aren’t thinking “enough”  but because you do not know exactly how it works, in any case I solved it as I said by pure luck (I didn’t use any help/hint/walkthrough).

After that I was lost in the forest trying to find the correct directions, but I kept walking in circles, so I started reading the fragments of the bible to see if there was any indication about the directions where I had to go, but I did not find anything . Almost by chance I decided to start visiting the old locations looking for something that would help me (and in this sense, I think it is a good idea that the game makes me unable to travel to certain locations, indicating that I no longer need to go back to certain places) anyway finally I was able to pick up the thermometer and everything worked out.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Really hooked on the story, hope it doesn’t stumble too much on the ending.

Lady Kestrel - 06 February 2017 06:30 PM

Renacimiento - 06 February 2017 11:55 PM

So, done with day 5.

Don’t go too far, the rule was to finish the 4th day and stop at the beginning of the 5th.

It looks like you’re done with Day 4 & not Day 5 Duck of Doom?  Smile

Lady Kestrel - 06 February 2017 04:02 PM

I got 4.5 correct in the trivia.  I knew the first part of the Latin name for #7 but not the second.  I also got 8, 11, 13 & 14 correct.

Not as easy as I thought then! Laughing

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I too am done with Day 4. Excellent game so far! Can’t wait for Day 5.

I loved the safe puzzle. The plot is becoming truly [spoiler]Twin Peaks-ian[/spoiler].

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Mikekelly - 03 February 2017 12:44 PM

Ok, I finished days 2 and 3. Thanks Joel for joining us! I just love your game - it does look great on my iPad!

Glad you like it! The game is a little bit clunky on smaller phones (some hotspots are kind of small), but on tablets I’m very happy with how it turned out! Smile

Lady Kestrel - 03 February 2017 02:20 PM

I finished Day 2.  I liked the clues Kathy gave for the sound editing puzzle.  I had gotten it within the ballpark when Kathy tweaked it for me.  I’m wondering if this was based on a certain amount of unsuccessful attempts or how close I finally got.

I do use adaptive clues in some cases (like the briefcase attic puzzle), where Kathy gives gradual hints depending on the number of failed attempts, but for the tape splicing puzzle it’s only dependant on the player input. You just have to assign the correct keywords in the correct order, and then Kathy will clean it up for you.

Lady Kestrel - 03 February 2017 02:20 PM

I like the banter between Kathy and Eileen, especially the teasing over their middle names and their Scrabble challenge.

For the people who enjoyed that, you might want to examine some stuff around the dorm room with Eileen present! Smile

Detective Mosely - 05 February 2017 11:17 PM

It’s kind of crazy how many locations and minor plot points seemed pulled straight from GK1.  Like really, in how many games do you visit your grandmother and search her attic for clues about your dead grandfather’s past?

Yeah, I get this a lot. Some of the references and homages throughout the game could’ve been more subtle. Another example like that is the initial encounter with the red man. (If you youtube “Lost Highway mystery man” you’ll see what I mean.)

I think Kathy is bit too quick with the advice in some cases, it takes some of the joy out of discovering it for myself - even when I already figured it out.

Yeah, I see your point. These things are hard to calibrate since each player is different. I usually opted for “rather too many hints than too few”, to be inclusive and minimize the frustration for less puzzle-savvy players getting stuck. In future games I’m considering implementing two difficulty levels (like Monkey Island 3) to adhere to both the hardcore adventure game fans and the players who play primarily for the story.

By the way, for those of you who enjoy compiling timelines, facts, and trivia, a fan created a Wiki recently, feel free to make contributions there! Smile

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Krusbert - 07 February 2017 05:59 AM

It’s kind of crazy how many locations and minor plot points seemed pulled straight from GK1.  Like really, in how many games do you visit your grandmother and search her attic for clues about your dead grandfather’s past?

Yeah, I get this a lot. Some of the references and homages throughout the game could’ve been more subtle. Another example like that is the initial encounter with the red man. (If you youtube “Lost Highway mystery man” you’ll see what I mean.)

Personally, I love all of the references & homages throughout the game which I find all the more special for exuding that GK1 vibe as after all we’re not going to see another GK or any more games whatsoever from JJ! But despite a few similarities I find Kathy Rain to be completely different so don’t see a problem! I just had to look up Lynch’s Lost Highway mystery man on You Tube - yes! & he’s very creepy! Here seems to be a good place to add a thought from TerminusEst!

TerminusEst - 07 February 2017 04:04 AM

The plot is becoming truly [spoiler]Twin Peaks-ian[/spoiler].

Yeah, I see your point. These things are hard to calibrate since each player is different. I usually opted for “rather too many hints than too few”, to be inclusive and minimize the frustration for less puzzle-savvy players getting stuck. In future games I’m considering implementing two difficulty levels (like Monkey Island 3) to adhere to both the hardcore adventure game fans and the players who play primarily for the story.

My thought was that in this game as there is a lot of detail in the plot the puzzles, for me,  had just about the right balance between ease & a little more challenge. I find if I get too bogged down with a difficult puzzle it can detract from the story. I can see that not all players agree but personally I would prefer just the one level of difficulty with a hint system if the game is on the more difficult side.

By the way, for those of you who enjoy compiling timelines, facts, and trivia, a fan created a Wiki recently, feel free to make contributions there! Smile

I’ve played lots of games but this is the 1st one I’ve come across where I was compelled to compile a timeline after playing the game through the 1st time to try & place what happened when to try & make sense of the story.
The trivia questions (optional of course) I just randomly chose for a bit of fun but I did look at your link Joel so may think about adding to it.  Thanks for dropping by again!  Smile

Renacimiento - 06 February 2017 11:55 PM

.............  in any case I feel that I am near the end (I do not know how many days are) although I hope I am wrong.

I must admit that the poems/tombs puzzle to be able to determine the numbers of the safe, I solved it by pure luck, I did not know exactly what I had to do, and I think there is nothing worse when you can not solve a puzzle but not because you aren’t thinking “enough”  but because you do not know exactly how it works, in any case I solved it as I said by pure luck (I didn’t use any help/hint/walkthrough).

There’s just Day 5 to go now Renacimiento!
I’ve yet to replay Day 4 but from what I can remember the poems/tomb puzzle is quite well referenced.

I’ll just mention that I’ve caught up with the recap of Day 3 on page 7 for anyone that’s interested. It’s a bit wordy but hopefully it includes all that’s relevant (& probably a bit more too!  Laughing )

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

chrissie - 07 February 2017 03:54 AM

It looks like you’re done with Day 4 & not Day 5 Duck of Doom?  Smile

Yes, of course! Duh, I’ve arrived at day 5 - sorry. Pan
I haven’t played ahead, I promise, even though it’s been very tempting. Innocent

In general I would say that I like the difficulty level of the game. I like that I was able to figure out most of the puzzles with the ol’ noggin and not trial-and-error. I also think hints in-game in adventure games are a good thing - as chrissie said being stuck can detract from the story, and even more so if you need to look up a walktrough. But I guess I would prefer if the hints waited till I either ask for them in some way (like showing granma the poem) or am obviously stuck.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

One thing that occurred to me just after finishing the game is that you seemed to be influenced just as heavily by Twin Peaks as by GK1, but it feels different because with Twin Peaks there were more wink-and-a-nod references to it.  (Hell, there’s a reference to a sheriff named Harry Truman.  That’s pretty specific.)  I didn’t see any similarly obvious references to Gabriel Knight.

I think adding in even one clear joking reference, like having Eileen say “More research?  I’m beginning to feel like Grace Nakimura.” would’ve given it a more homage-y feeling and less of a steal-y feeling.

I agree with the sentiment that the influences being so heavy didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the game at all though.  It seems like every time I think maybe I’m just not into adventure games so much anymore since there’s a lot of games nowadays I just don’t end up finishing, a game like this comes along that hits all the right notes and I’m just as addicted to it as I was to games I played when I was growing up.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished Day 4 late last night and had to hold myself back from continuing.  The tomb puzzle stumped me for quite a while, especially the clue about the dates, but I finally figured it out.  Also, I had forgotten all about the tape found in grandpa’s storage unit and did a lot of wandering before I realized what I had been missing.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have also finished day 4, and what a great day it was! However, now the FUN will begin next….....I can see some REALLY great discussion coming when we are all done with this game! it’s starting to get REALLY creepy!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also finished Day 4. But I made one colossal mistake in the poem/tomb puzzle.

Whenever I post an AGSOTD I use the European date method. I.e. Day/Month/Year. It’s just the convention that everyone has adopted. However, this is a game set in America. Why would I not expect the game to use American-style dates? I.e. Month/Day/Year. Because Joel is not American, he used what was natural for him. Which is why I’m guessing that players on the other side of the pond had far less trouble with this puzzle. I spent more than a few cemetery/church trips before I found the error of my ways.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I had the same problem with that puzzle rtrooney, despite me being on the ‘other side of the pond’. I made the same assumption you did.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

But, you guys, some of the dates were after the twelfth…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top