• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Geeez is right. I think the discussion on several topics has turned unfriendly.

We’ve recently had Josh Mandel and others on his team participate on CCS. Both Scratches and ASA had designer participation. We even had the very same Dave Gilbert participate on the casual playthrough of Emerald City Confidential.

The point is, if the designer can be contacted, and is invited to participate in the conversations, and he agrees, the answers to the questions causing arguments can be given by the person who made the decisions. Why pixelated v high def? Why America v any other country on earth?

Offering the invitation may fall to chrissie because she is our leader. But maybe someone closer to the action, hint TimovieMan, might offer to step in here.

If Joel declines, then we can return to our bickering modes. Until then, let’s call a cease fire.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. It’d be great to have Joel around and I am sure he will enjoy seeing his game be played and discussed.

He is also active on Twitter at ClifftopGames, by the way.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 31 January 2017 06:31 PM
Renacimiento - 31 January 2017 04:35 PM

I think everyone beyond our nationalities has met people with a similar personality to Kathy, but to think that a character like Kathy can only be American I do not share that.

There is one way to find out why a Swedish game developer set the game in the United States and used American voice actors, etc. Ask him. We’ve certainly had game developers participate in our playthroughs before.

I wouldn’t know where to start, but I’m sure somebody out there knows how to extend an invitation.

I thought we were discussing whether it was a good idea to set the game in the USA - something the developer isn’t going to be able to answer any better than we can.

And it’s not a war, just a friendly debate. But, by all means, invite the developer. The more people the better.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

As for the interface, quite a minor gripe is that I need to click on object, and then again on “use” icon until the cursor become the object itself so I can use it somewhere on screen - why not the tried and true concept of just clicking or dragging an object (and use the right click for inventory menu). I like the “think about” option, I think (see what I did there?!) of it as an equivalent to a right-click in a typical smart cursor game, for an additional inspection.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TerminusEst - 31 January 2017 07:27 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. It’d be great to have Joel around and I am sure he will enjoy seeing his game be played and discussed.

Then might you be willing to make the introduction/invitation. We would really appreciate the effort.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I am not on Twitter but I can send an email. I’d rather wait until chrissie weighs in, though.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 31 January 2017 11:15 AM

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Look how much Gabriel Knight benefited from its unique and culturally rich and detailed New Orleans setting. Kathy Rain is obviously much less ambitious in scope, and there’s nothing wrong with it - I’m just saying a certain level of intimacy with its setting could have improved it.

I’m not really saying that an “international Everytown” is the best approach. I’m merely saying it’s a good counterpart for a unique and detailed specific location.
Two different approaches, both with their pros and cons. Not a case of “one is definitely better than the other”, especially since the effects are difficult to gauge.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Renacimiento - 31 January 2017 04:35 PM
chrissie - 31 January 2017 06:01 AM

or characters speaking with Swedish accents which possibly wouldn’t have suited Kathy’s personality & dialogue?

Why not? Maybe I misunderstand what you’re trying to say, but are you saying that Kathy’s personality can only have it an American character with American voices? That it would be “weird” if she were Swedish and not american considering her personality?

I think everyone beyond our nationalities has met people with a similar personality to Kathy, but to think that a character like Kathy can only be American I do not share that.

Oops, yes I’ve said things wrongly here!  No, Kathy doesn’t need to be an American with an American voice & yes, there are people from many different nationalities that have a similar personality & the story could be set anywhere! But I do work with & have met people of many different nationalities so I do know there are alternative expressions for the same sentiment the translation of which might not work (in MO) quite as well as Kathy’s ‘English/American’ terminology/dialogue which are more familiar to the widest audience. No offense intended or taken BTW!

rtrooney - 31 January 2017 06:31 PM

There is one way to find out why a Swedish game developer set the game in the United States and used American voice actors, etc. Ask him. We’ve certainly had game developers participate in our playthroughs before.

rtrooney - 31 January 2017 08:38 PM
TerminusEst - 31 January 2017 07:27 PM

Then might you be willing to make the introduction/invitation. We would really appreciate the effort.

TerminusEst - 31 January 2017 10:10 PM

I am not on Twitter but I can send an email.

That sound like a wonderful idea although I’m less interested in the reasons behind not setting the game in Sweden & more in the plot!
Please TerminusEst I’m not the only one who would appreciate you going ahead with an Email!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

*SPOILER ALERT*

I’ve tried to get the semblance of a timeline together to start with & a brief Day 1 re-cap. It maybe a little clumsy but just an attempt to get a few things into perspective so please feel free to add/disagree/alter!

1965? Nathan Myers (age 4) 1st ‘meets’ the Red Man? his imaginary friend who doesn’t change for 30 years. 
1971 (Spring) William Price sees 3 bright lights & founds the Church of the Holy Trinity

1974 Kathy’s birth year (deduced)
1975? Joseph visits Erica for the last time (with Kathy?)  
1975 (July 15th) Lily Myers drowns at the age of 16 (suspected suicide as she was suffering from depression}
1980 Beau Brunson becomes president of The Black Hats.
1980? Kathy’s mother takes her away from Conwell Springs.
A few years later after the death of Lily1980/81? Joseph (Kathy’s grandfather) visits Sue Myers to ask about Lily’s paintings. Sometime afterwards Charles Wade buys all of Lily’s paintings, except for one, for $5000
1981 (August 16) Joseph Rain is found covered in mud & in an unexplained vegetative state. He is confined to a wheel chair for the next 14 years. He visited Sue Myers just a few weeks before.
1983 Jimmy Cochran (Cocky), AF buddy of Joseph & Charles, is committed to a mental health institute. He became obsessed with circles.
1983 William Price dies suddenly. His son Isaac Price takes over but the church declines. Before that Isaac had worked as a substitute teacher at Lily’s high school.
1986 Lily Myers’ art is stolen from the home of Charles Wade
1989 A Nature Reserve, where the red scythe flower grows (& the 3 lights are seen) is established to protect the now endangered plant.

1989/1990? Kathy has an abortion (aged 14/15 years old? - speculation) & Kathy often dreams about it.
1994? Kathy has her mother committed to a mental health institute.
1995 Kathy age 21? is currently a journalism student sharing a dorm-room with Eileen.

Day 1: After attending her grandfather’s funeral Kathy meets her grandmother again after about 15 years away.

To start investigating what happened to her grandfather Kathy steals the report from the police station files along with a cassette player & tape from the evidence lockers.

This leads to searching her grandmother’s attic to finding an old AF photo + an unidentifiable over-exposed photo , an answer-machine tape & a newspaper clipping about a drowning in 1975 that had been locked in a briefcase.

Answer-machine tape (in briefcase):  The 1st message is from Charles (Wade?) inviting Joseph & Mrs Rain along with little Kathy to visit Erica’s 1st born who’s a boy - “Thankfully he looks nothing like his father” - Charles’ family? Which Mrs Rain? Kathy’s mother as Grandmother hasn’t mentioned this?
According to Kathy’s grandmother (in the present) Joseph & Charles who were best friends grew apart before Kathy was born. 
Is the 2nd message preceded by static from Kathy’s mother? stating her intention to leave & her disgust at the Rain family (which would fit into about 1980 or is it someone else?)-what happened to warrant her threatening to call the police if they tried to find/contact her?
The last message is a disturbing one from someone called ‘Cocky’ - “it happened to me too - and I’m not going to tell any of those bastards. They got it all wrong. you’re the only one I trust now.”
NB Were all the messages recorded within a narrow time-frame or was the tape re-used?

Kathy steals the report about the drowning from the police station & tracks down the Myers family namely the mother Sue & her disabled son Nathan – the father went off the rails shortly after the drowning & is in prison.
Kathy returns to the city. 

& as promised a…..
Trivia Quiz!:
1 What is the name of the cat that resided at the farm of Kathy’s grandparents?
Freckles
2 Name ‘one of Kathy’s favourite films’
The Thing
3 What was the original spelling of Kathy’s family surname & when was it changed?
Regn – after Kathy’s great-grandfather Erik Regn died
4 From whom did Charles Wade reputedly learn his engineering skills?
[spoiler]Former chief mechanic Niles Bloom -sorry that was a mean one![/spoiler]
5 In what film was Kathy’s room-mate an extra?
[spoiler]Titanic -not so anachronistic as the film isn’t out yet & the poster is a promo! [/spoiler]

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Let’s continue!
Day 2 is really very short with Day 3 being quite a lot longer so I thought that we could proceed & play both of those to aim for Monday (6 Feb) evening (to be extended if needed!)
So please go ahead & play through DAY 2 & DAY 3 & stop when you get to the beginning of Day 4.  Smile 

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

chrissie - 01 February 2017 02:49 PM

That sound like a wonderful idea although I’m less interested in the reasons behind not setting the game in Sweden & more in the plot!
Please TerminusEst I’m not the only one who would appreciate you going ahead with an Email!  Thumbs Up

I sent him an invitation over email. Let’s keep our fingers crossed now!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TerminusEst - 01 February 2017 04:15 PM
chrissie - 01 February 2017 02:49 PM

I sent him an invitation over email. Let’s keep our fingers crossed now!

Thank you TerminusEst!  Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Great, it’s always very interesting when a creator participates in a play through Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finished with Day 1, the briefcase puzzle was a standout, and some interesting story development. I hope it doesn’t get too much complicated!! Foot in mouth Tongue Thank you chrissie for a great, great recap, that’s exactly what this game is missing (a kind of a more informative diary Wink )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

2/5 at the quiz!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top