• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 28 January 2017 05:49 AM

Edit: the one below Pulp Fiction is Death Proof.

In 1995?! Anachronistic much? Laughing

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It’s great to see so many unexpected participants for the playthrough & ALL VERY WELCOME!  Thumbs Up

Whether you want to play along at ‘my’ pace, race ahead, re-play and/or add your thoughts I would just ask that you keep comments relevant to the game as far as we’ve got in the playthrough & please to use spoiler tags when appropriate! 

Please feel free to proceed with Day 1 (you can click on the door now if you haven’t already! Laughing ) & stop when you get to the end of it (you will know!)
There’s a lot to do but I think it only took me about 2 hours so I thought we could aim to start Day 2 on Wednesday evening?

rtrooney - 27 January 2017 08:50 PM

I know this has been the style of late, but I find the extreme pixelation a real turn off. This is 2016 product, not 1994 product. Don’t know whether this was a conscious design choice or a budget choice, but I don’t like it. Am hoping the story will overcome initial misgivings.

I hope so too Tim but I gleaned from another thread that you’ve got a 28” monitor? which I guess will exaggerate the pixelation? 

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m having some trouble figuring out the combination for the briefcase.  I’ve tried some of the numbers in the math book, but Kathy indicates that more info than that is needed.  I’m going to see if any of the dates work.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ah-ha!  I figured it out.  Sometimes it clicks after staring at something long enough.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 28 January 2017 12:48 PM

I hope so too Tim but I gleaned from another thread that you’ve got a 28” monitor? which I guess will exaggerate the pixelation?

I’m not sure exactly what monitor size does with pixelation. My display is 1920x1080, and I’m guessing the game is designed in something like 320x240. So you can see the problem. I am getting used to it, although still not liking it very much. (FWIW I would have had the same problem with Al Emmo.)

I’ve arrived at the sheriff’s office. I’m not sure what you meant when you said that we will know when to stop. Because, if I’ve passed the stopping point, I didn’t have a clue.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 28 January 2017 09:04 AM
TimovieMan - 28 January 2017 05:49 AM

Edit: the one below Pulp Fiction is Death Proof.

In 1995?! Anachronistic much? Laughing

Paris, je t’aime is a 2006 film and Titanic a 1997 one, so the posters are a bit of an anachronism stew…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve reached Day 2, the stopping point.  Kathy did quite a bit of motorcycle riding before I figured out where certain things had to happen, but happily everything finally fell into place.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I suspected it earlier, but the moment I stepped into the Granny’s house I got the overwhelming GK1 vibe! Really cool! And there’s a bike, too! (it also reminds me of Gray Matter - similar type of female leads). And now I’m stuck with the suitcase puzzle, I know that I must combine the two hints - Joseph’s message, and the math book, I also suspect that “Red rose” stands for red page mark in the book - and so on, but I still can’t find what I’m supposed to do exactly with those numbers.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Just bought and installed the game. I will join in with my own comments and observations but I really look forward to reading other people’s.

If not today, I hope to have time to finish Day 1 on Tuesday.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I finished Day 1 and liked it a lot. Kathy pretends to be hard and cold but, in actuality, she is an empathetic softie and cares deeply about human suffering. And I love the Katmobile.

So far, the game makes me think of Fargo meeting Gabriel Knight: SotF, which, in my book, is a very good thing. I don’t mind the resolution but the voice overs are only so so, despite being directed by Dave Gilbert, who is normally excellent. The sheriff’s voice stood out for me as being obviously poorly recorded.

The plot is progressing nicely so far. Obviously, the mysterious kid at the cemetery is related to Kathy’s abortion (and what a topic to broach, too!). I just wonder how this relates to the rest of the mystery.

The puzzles so far are on the easy side. I liked the simple light bulb swap (other games would have sent you on a wild goose chase for the spare bulb, KR has you do what you would do in your house) but the convincing of the AFB phone operator made no sense: why would he think that the police needs him to find out Charles Wade’s contact info?

Also, a small Easter Egg from the game developer’s home country: a red herring Dalarna horse in Grandma Rain’s house.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My sister had one of those wooden horses when she was a kid.  Her dolls used to ride it all over the house. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished Day 1 and liked it a lot. Kathy pretends to be hard and cold but, in actuality, she is an empathetic softie and cares deeply about human suffering. And I love the Katmobile.

I am also done with day 1. And yes, I am also getting a GK1 vibe from this game. As I loved GK1, this is a good thing. And yes, I suspect that Kathy is also a softie at heart.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I reinstalled the game and I’ll see if I can keep up in between playing Mass Effect 2 and Monkey Island 2…

It can’t be a coincidence that the first game ‘suggested’ when running the GOG installer is Gabriel Knight 1 Smile

I remember that in the beginning I found it hard to relate to Kathy - apparently I wasn’t as much a rebel as some of you… But she grew on me while playing the game. She starts showing more and more of what’s behind that abrasive exterior as the game goes on.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t had & won’t have too much time until tomorrow but have read all the comments with interest. Smile

rtrooney - 28 January 2017 07:07 PM

I’ve arrived at the sheriff’s office. I’m not sure what you meant when you said that we will know when to stop. Because, if I’ve passed the stopping point, I didn’t have a clue.

I’m sorry Tim I should have been more specific & you have more to do before finishing Day 1. When I said you will know, you just need to keep playing until it comes around to the beginning of Day 2 which will show up similarly to the screenshot I posted for Day 1 - hope that helps!  Smile

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I think I have finished Day 1. But it would appear that I haven’t. I’ve been riding the cycle, and have returned to all four locations, and there is nothing that pops out as an unfinished objective. I resorted to a walkthrough, and it says that when I finished talking with Sue at the Lakeside Cabin I would automatically be returned to the Dorm. I got on the Katmobile and nothing happens except a long ride through rural America. Any thoughts about what I might have missed?

FWIW current inventory contains: Notebook, Taser, Lighter, Cigarettes, Police Report Rain, Tape recorder, Tape cassette, Math book, Overexposed photo, Solier photo, Newspaper clippint, Key, Police Report Lily.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top