• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unfunniest “comedy” games

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

To go along with the Terrible Voice Acting thread, what are some comedy games that you have played that are not funny at all?

For me, Deponia was not funny at all. The Ankh series is another without really any funny jokes at all.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Simon the Sorcerer 4 and 5 do spring in my mind when thinking about unfynny comedy games. Simon 4 especially missed the mark for me almost constantly by being just simply horrible in all counts. Simon 5 was just merely not that fun.

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

From “ye olde days” I can’t recall a game that qualifies as unfunny.
Having looked at the games from the other thread though i’d have to pick the game i also think has the worst voice acting:

Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back

Some ‘funny’ remarks are so bad, they’re bordering painful :-D

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

BitingWit - 25 January 2017 09:28 PM

To go along with the Terrible Voice Acting thread, what are some comedy games that you have played that are not funny at all?

For me, Deponia was not funny at all. The Ankh series is another without really any funny jokes at all.

I feel the same about both of them. I didn’t finish them because of it.

Other not fun games (I must say that I’m not at all into the funny genre so I may come over as a bit of a grumpy person here): Runaway (one of the most horrible games I ever finished), Day of the Tentacles.

Funny games: Normality, Zork Grand Inquisitor, The Pawn (yes I’m that old).

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2017-01-13

PM

tsa - 26 January 2017 01:53 PM

...Other not fun games…Day of the Tentacles…

Day of the Tentacle is on my list of all-time favorite games. I recently played it again (remastered) and enjoyed it still. :-D

Speaking of LucasArts; even though I did enjoy Sam & Max - Hit the road, it felt like they tried too hard to be funny and it kind of backfired most of the time.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I also didn’t like Sam & Max. But I did enjoy Grim Fandango. Humour is a strange and fickle thing Wink.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

BitingWit - 25 January 2017 09:28 PM

German humor does not work well translated into English.

My pick would be Randal’s Monday. Horrible, horrible game.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

Someone told me The Whispered world was supposed to be funny. At least sort of? Maybe I just shouldn’t have played the game with a lifelong hatred/fear of clowns.

-DC

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

actually,  as you guys bringing this out:

there was NEVER an adventure game that be able to ***crack*** me up like any TV comedy series; maybe Seinfeld, for example??! ... all AGs the best they ever could reach to be described as humorous, NOT MI, not LSL .  never really cracked* me into real laughing.
And as we at it;  post any vid from adventures that you think is worth of a good laugh??...

that is why already i always loved serious AGs with dark tone ; and mostly Sci-Fi(s) (imo) as i happen to find out they bring out the best of the genre, FAR from that obsession to repeat LucasArts glories days kinda adventures again & again!  ..
HAH? how many AGs had LucasArts had given? 12..16? ..20? i can’t really remember how many exactly! but what is important is, how many AGs tried to Copy-Cat LucasArt’s games ??; 100, 200 900?? and didnt they fail actually ?.
how many adventures you read about as a part of their market campaign references directly for Monkey Island, sometimes it feels as if the genre isn’t called Adventure gaming but Monkey Islanding games mayhap, lol

thru adventure games i play ,i only 1st of all like to be challenged, to get my mind (working) into things that satisfy my ego when getting puzzles cracked; figuring out its/their’s mysteries… i am not* looking for jokes or any funny kinda things…etc! there are many better and almost-granted venues of entertainment that can provide me with much better chances.

but that does not hold anything against the genre, in the end, adventure games will always be GAMES, games made to challenge players, even if it’s supposed to be the most relaxed genre of all, ... yet gotta be challenged and anything else comes.. fourth or fifth Smile

Btw; its a good thread, i always had an idea of thread/poll about humorous ags vs serious ags, but this thread did it right simply. Cool

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

Supreme League of Patriots failed to really break into “funny”. The amount of one-liners it had just came across as snarky rather than actually humorous.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oh yeah, I remember Supreme League of Patriots. I managed to play the first episode around half an hour before I started to fear that my eye rolling would snap my optic nerves. Terribly written, laced with bad voice acting.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I think LucasArts games are funny but they’re over 20 years old and you’ve probably played them countless times.

Games that feel flat for me on the first run through were Runaway and Tony Tough. Although, I think I may have liked them a little more without the voice acting.

And just for the record, one game I initially hated and then grew to appreciate comedy wise: Stupid Invaders. The character designs and dialogue is fairly demented - it’s alright.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

I think AR-K was intended to be a humorous game, but for me it failed on all accounts.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Toonstruck - all this crazy universe, cool animations, lengthy dialogues, Christopher Lloyd - nothing works for me in this game Frown I’d still like to play the second part though of pure curiosity. Of the recent examples, Nelly Cootalot 2 comes to mind. While I remember enjoying the first game, this one felt flat and childish, like a bad standup act that lasts for 3 hours. Broken Sword 5, on the other hand, is not much of a comedy, just like other games in the series, yet it made me laugh many times. And that’s what I love about Revolution, wish other devs would follow their example instead of packing their games with cheap jokes, agreed with Advie on that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Day of the tentacle, never got the characters and humor
maybe it was good for its time, and nostalgia is the only way back
But playing it late now is boring as bad Saturday night cartoon

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 28 January 2017 10:38 PM

Day of the tentacle, never got the characters and humor
maybe it was good for its time, and nostalgia is the only way back
But playing it late now is boring as bad Saturday night cartoon

DotT it and its humor basically hits natives and a minority of the world which are very interested in the American history.
this game i only giggled at on my late replay.
when i first played it at my early teenage time i didnt understand shit of what this fictional game and its fictional characters was tallying about, i guessed one of the guys was named after a city in America and another after an invention that came to me at a science or physics class i had just a couple of days away

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top