• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 04:31 PM

Well, I think I have finished Day 1. But it would appear that I haven’t. I’ve been riding the cycle, and have returned to all four locations, and there is nothing that pops out as an unfinished objective. I resorted to a walkthrough, and it says that when I finished talking with Sue at the Lakeside Cabin I would automatically be returned to the Dorm. I got on the Katmobile and nothing happens except a long ride through rural America. Any thoughts about what I might have missed?

Did you show the photo of the three airmen to Sue?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes, and I actually finished Day 1. I went back, and there were three, THREE!!!, snippets of (to me, irrelevant) conversation I had missed. Two with Lenny and one with Grandma.

Edit: I was actually coming back to amend my post to say I had finished Day 1. But now I am wondering whether inadvertently missing a snippet or two of dialog is sufficient to keep you from progressing, even though the dialog is not relevant to completing the game.

And, as a side note, I think some people who have played the game before (I have not) are posting material that we aren’t supposed to know yet. E.g., somebody posted a possible link between the small boy in the cemetery and Kathy Rain’s abortion. We don’t even learn about that until we see the dream sequence between Days 1 & 2. Just be cautious that you’re not giving away thing we’re not yet supposed to know.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 04:59 PM

And, as a side note, I think some people who have played the game before (I have not) are posting material that we aren’t supposed to know yet. E.g., somebody posted a possible link between the small boy in the cemetery and Kathy Rain’s abortion. We don’t even learn about that until we see the dream sequence between Days 1 & 2. Just be cautious that you’re not giving away thing we’re not yet supposed to know.

I posted this. I haven’t played the game before. That’s pure speculation. Discussing the plot is part of the purpose of a CPT, as I see it.

Since Kathy’s abortion is information one learns unavoidably while finishing Day 1, that seemed like fair game. Especially when it’s in spoiler tags.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I was able to finish Day 1, it was fine. I spent some time in determining what the combination of the briefcase was, and at one point Kathy said “I think I’m overthinking too much about this” and she was right, in the end it was simpler than it seemed.

About the dream that refers to her abortion, I was surprised, but I liked that we could know a little more about Kathy’s personal past and not just about her relatives.

The only thing I ask myself is, this is a small independent game made by a Swedish studio, which in fact consists of a person named Joel Staaf Hasto, right? then why to make the game set in Usa? That is to say, if it were a big company that tries to capture the largest amount of public possible I would understand that everything was to be set in the USA. But this is a small game and is made by a Swedish company then why to use something we see almost always, always American characters, someone who fights in the worldwar, etc, etc, we put the USA flag at some point, etc,etc. I think it is resource used many times, why they did not make a Swedish character?, using a little history there, you don’t have to change too much, in fact you could leave the voices on english if you want, I really don’t understand why always use the same background to tell a story.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TerminusEst - 29 January 2017 07:55 PM

I posted this. I haven’t played the game before. That’s pure speculation. Discussing the plot is part of the purpose of a CPT, as I see it.

Since Kathy’s abortion is information one learns unavoidably while finishing Day 1, that seemed like fair game. Especially when it’s in spoiler tags.

I’m sorry, but

Obviously, the mysterious kid at the cemetery is related to Kathy’s abortion (and what a topic to broach, too!).

doesn’t even approach speculation. It’s a statement of fact.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

On this topic honestly I saw the boy in the cemetery and at no time did I realize that it might have to do with Kathy’s abortion, until some of you said it.

~

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 08:24 PM

I’m sorry, but

Obviously, the mysterious kid at the cemetery is related to Kathy’s abortion (and what a topic to broach, too!).

doesn’t even approach speculation. It’s a statement of fact.

I have no idea if it’s a fact. Seems to fit though: a strange boy who says his mother is nearby, while there is no one but Kathy and the boy around, before he vanishes into thin air. EDITed to add: he also looks quite a bit like her..

P.S. Also, please put the bit you are quoting in spoiler tags.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Renacimiento - 29 January 2017 08:05 PM

The only thing I ask myself is, this is a small independent game made by a Swedish studio, which in fact consists of a person named Joel Staaf Hasto, right? then why to make the game set in Usa?

I don’t know, so this is pure “speculation” on my part. But my guess is Joel is designing his game for maximum sales potential. So, while the whole of Europe represents the largest market for games, the largest single language market is North America. So he designed the game with the American market in mind Knowing the Canadian market would understand.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 08:32 PM

I don’t know, so this is pure “speculation” on my part. But my guess is Joel is designing his game for maximum sales potential. So, while the whole of Europe represents the largest market for games, the largest single language market is North America. So he designed the game with the American market in mind Knowing the Canadian market would understand.

It could be ... I was establishing a parallelism with the cinema, I thought .. if I’m going to see a big blockbuster hollywood movie I’d understand that all the characters are from de USA, that they are the good ones, etc, etc. Of course, what can I expect?, of course it will be that way, but if I’m going to see a little Swedish movie, give me a Swedish movie, do not give me USA characters and USA places seen hundreds of times to tell your story, you can tell the same story, I don’t understand why always use the same background, anyway…rant over.

~

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@TerminusEst

Sorry. I just don’t believe that explanation. There could have been any number of reasons why the kid and KR were connected. Including no reason at all.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 08:41 PM

@TerminusEst

Sorry. I just don’t believe that explanation. There could have been any number of reasons why the kid and KR were connected. Including no reason at all.

Fair enough. We are sure to find out one way or the other.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TerminusEst - 29 January 2017 08:30 PM

Sorry, but when you excerpt a quote from a larger message, the spoiler tags don’t always transfer. Witness your quote of my inventory which was in spoiler tags in the original message.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 29 January 2017 08:49 PM
TerminusEst - 29 January 2017 08:30 PM

Sorry, but when you excerpt a quote from a larger message, the spoiler tags don’t always transfer. Witness your quote of my inventory which was in spoiler tags in the original message.

I totally get it. You can still go back and edit the spoiler tags in your post, though. Wrong or right, my theory definitely counts as a spoiler for those who haven’t reached the end of Day 1.

Also, I didn’t include your inventory in the bit I quoted.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Re the dorm room & Kathy’s room-mate:
I’ve got to tip my hat off to youse that identified the posters that you can’t click on & it was very interesting that a couple didn’t quite fit the year but .....

You know after visiting the cemetery & talking to the priest that Kathy has no time for religion so it’s quite a surprise that Kathy gets on so well with her room-mate but they seem to have mutual respect for each-other’s ways & I just love the contrast between them & the two sides of the room!

Re the little guy in the cemetery I had no doubt in my mind that when I got to Kathy’s dream at the end of Day 1 that he was her son at the age he would have been at the time if born

I’ve got part-way to trying to starting a time-line to try & fathom out where everything fits in & to be added to as we go along which I will post before the beginning of Day 2. I’m wondering why something that happened in 1975 has any relevance to what happened to Kathy’s grandfather in 1981?

Sorry! I will also be posting a Trivia Quiz! (no worries as the answers will be in spoiler tags!) 

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Renacimiento - 29 January 2017 08:40 PM
rtrooney - 29 January 2017 08:32 PM

It could be ... I was establishing a parallelism with the cinema, I thought .. if I’m going to see a big blockbuster hollywood movie I’d understand that all the characters are from de USA, that they are the good ones, etc, etc. Of course, what can I expect?, of course it will be that way, but if I’m going to see a little Swedish movie, give me a Swedish movie, do not give me USA characters and USA places seen hundreds of times to tell your story, you can tell the same story, I don’t understand why always use the same background, anyway…rant over.

When I played the game I did feel that its American setting and character was more borrowed from movies and pop culture portrayals of the country, rather than being genuine. But perhaps our American friends in this playthrough can confirm? I’m not against setting a game in the USA, but I like to see the unique facets of a culture displayed in a game, which is why I would encourage developers to work with what they know.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top