• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I don’t know how everyone else solved the briefcase puzzle, but it was pretty tough to me. I enjoyed solving it, though I had to look up for a little hint at the end (I was at 90% percent to crack it on my own, though). Now, when I know the solution, I have to say I still think it’s good, but I expected that Blue Bookmark at the Fibonacci numbers page would mean that one number at the place of a Blue Violet would be a sum of previous two, and not just the first number from the page (number 1). Actually, the toughest part to me was to deduce that all I need is to take first numbers from the pages. And still it’s a little far fetched to gather that from “Pi” number 3.14159 you need to take 3, and 1 which is the first decimal. Tongue My “solution” was
“three red roses” (Red Bookmark on primary numbers page) - numbers 3, 5 and 7 as the primary numbers, “one blue violet” (Blue Bookmark on Fibonacci numbers page), number 1 AND 2, which makes 12 as the sum of previous two, which leaves us with “two yellow tulips” (Yellow Bookmars on Pi page) 2x3 = 6. So my combination was 357126 and not the winning 235131. Grin Grin Yes, I knoooow - I was overthinking it. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar,
The settings are a bit generic, but I’m not bothered by them.  Perhaps there are other reasons, not shown as yet, for the game to be set in the US.

Diego,
I did overthink that puzzle, too, but then tried the simpler solution.  I smiled when I finally heard the click.  Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

One thing I don’t know is whether there were any dubbed versions of the game for the European market. Is there a French version? Italian? Spanish? German?

I would imagine that the cost of voice acting all the dialog in languages other than the one it was written for would be an expensive proposition. Plus you would have to re-code all the subtitles and dialog trees. Maybe he only had enough money to create the game one time, and doing it in English was purely a business decision.

I live in the US. Location names in the game are American sounding. Even the people’s names, Kathy, Sue, Nathan, Lenny have an American flavor.

That said, if I were playing a French version of the game with American subtitles, there would be nothing in the game that screamed American.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I’m almost sure that if he had had all the money in the world, there would probably be voices in different languages and subtitles in many languages, however the background of the story would still be from the USA.

Nothing that screamed American? What about the flag at the police station?

Oscar - 30 January 2017 12:35 PM

I’m not against setting a game in the USA, but I like to see the unique facets of a culture displayed in a game, which is why I would encourage developers to work with what they know.

That’s what I mean. You are a small independent company from Sweden, you know that your game will not break box office records, use that in your favor, do not necessarily tie yourself to pre-established conventions or borrowed atmospheres. Why the character or locations can not be in Canada or Sweden?, I don’t know ... something like that, always the same background.

Oh it seems that Im not enjoying the game with these comments, but it’s not like that, I like it a lot, Kathy is great and I can not wait to start with the second day.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Renacimiento - 30 January 2017 03:04 PM

Nothing that screamed American? What about the flag at the police station?

Well, I kind of assumed that if the original was in French, using French locations and French names and I was playing using English subtitles, that the flag in the Gendarmery would not be an American flag. As such nothing about the game would scream American.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 30 January 2017 01:53 PM

That said, if I were playing a French version of the game with American subtitles, there would be nothing in the game that screamed American.

Isn’t that a good thing for an attempt at mass appeal? The game taking place in an Everytown is just as effective as being in a specific and very American/Canadian/Swedish/etc. place, but less polarizing.

More than likely, it was a conscious choice.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

chrissie - 30 January 2017 09:54 AM

Re the little guy in the cemetery I had no doubt in my mind that when I got to Kathy’s dream at the end of Day 1 that he was her son at the age he would have been at the time if born

Glad to hear I am not the only one Tongue

chrissie - 30 January 2017 09:54 AM

I’ve got part-way to trying to starting a time-line to try & fathom out where everything fits in & to be added to as we go along which I will post before the beginning of Day 2. I’m wondering why something that happened in 1975 has any relevance to what happened to Kathy’s grandfather in 1981?

Sorry! I will also be posting a Trivia Quiz! (no worries as the answers will be in spoiler tags!)

I’d be very interested in either of these.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

One thing I don’t know is whether there were any dubbed versions of the game for the European market. Is there a French version? Italian? Spanish? German?

The game is available to play with German or French subtitles at least in the GOG version.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finished Day 1.

I completely agree about the GK vibes and that’s always going to be a great thing for me!

Although it isn’t that long since I played this first time I had forgotten the briefcase puzzle and enjoyed solving it again. I think it’s really well balanced by being difficult/complicated enough but not feeling like the designer is just throwing unnecessary obstacles into your path. It’s the sort of puzzle that makes you feel quite clever for solving it, or at least it did for me!

On the whole I like the voice acting, although one or two characters aren’t quite as fitting as the others i.e. Lily Myers’ brother

I won’t comment on some of the speculation about the boy in the cemetery at this stage.

I do think that Kathy is a likeable character and enjoyable to play. I’m not sure I’m 100% with you on the Gray Matter similarities Diego. Although both characters seem to come from a troubled past (and there’s the goth/rock chick thing) I think that the effects of it are much clearer on Kathy than they are on Sam (was it Sam?) from GM, who seems to be relatively untouched by her past other than loneliness. [/personal opinion]

To be honest, I’m not sure I understand the objection to the game being set in USA. I mean if the dev wants to set the game there then what difference does his own nationality make? I’m not American myself, but clearly a version of American society sits comfortably in the consciousness of just about anyone from just about any country (or at least more so than most other societies) so it is at least something we can all understand isn’t it?

Anyway, if there was one thing I wasn’t so keen on from Day 1, it’s a slight over reliance on distracting the cops. I think you have to do it 3 times (I did it 4 times but one not necessary).

Also, I really like the character in the police cells, although I’m not sure why he would be so helpful to Kathy here. I do think he’s very well voice acted though!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 03:52 PM

The game taking place in an Everytown is just as effective as being in a specific and very American/Canadian/Swedish/etc. place, but less polarizing.

The game could have been set in a number of places but I wondered whether the choice was because of the voice-talent pool provided by Dave Gilbert? There would have been nothing worse than a game set in Sweden voiced by American actors & to use Swedish actors possibly more expensive? & requiring the game to either have English subtitles or characters speaking with Swedish accents which possibly wouldn’t have suited Kathy’s personality & dialogue?
I liked the hint of Sweden though by way of the Dalarna horse & wondered whether some of the paintings were views of Sweden.

Intense Degree - 31 January 2017 05:57 AM

Also, I really like the character in the police cells, although I’m not sure why he would be so helpful to Kathy here. I do think he’s very well voice acted though!

Kathy offered him money? but I’m surprised he didn’t ask for more when she wanted him to distract Lenny again. There’s always the possibility that Kathy could have switched the annoying TV back on! Laughing 

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 03:52 PM

Isn’t that a good thing for an attempt at mass appeal? The game taking place in an Everytown is just as effective as being in a specific and very American/Canadian/Swedish/etc. place, but less polarizing.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Look how much Gabriel Knight benefited from its unique and culturally rich and detailed New Orleans setting. Kathy Rain is obviously much less ambitious in scope, and there’s nothing wrong with it - I’m just saying a certain level of intimacy with its setting could have improved it.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I’m done with day 1 as well. The story is pretty engaging and I finished day 1 in one session.
I think the puzzles are on the easy side so far (including the briefcase one, though I started out with overthinking the math as well Laughing), but quite sensible and logical, which is nice.
For my part, I quite like the pixelated artstyle. It might not be ideal for the character sprites, but I think the backgrounds look much nicer and “deeper” than in most low-budget games that use other graphic styles.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 31 January 2017 06:01 AM

or characters speaking with Swedish accents which possibly wouldn’t have suited Kathy’s personality & dialogue?

Why not? Maybe I misunderstand what you’re trying to say, but are you saying that Kathy’s personality can only have it an American character with American voices? That it would be “weird” if she were Swedish and not american considering her personality?

I think everyone beyond our nationalities has met people with a similar personality to Kathy, but to think that a character like Kathy can only be American I do not share that.

~

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Renacimiento - 31 January 2017 04:35 PM

I think everyone beyond our nationalities has met people with a similar personality to Kathy, but to think that a character like Kathy can only be American I do not share that.

There is one way to find out why a Swedish game developer set the game in the United States and used American voice actors, etc. Ask him. We’ve certainly had game developers participate in our playthroughs before.

I wouldn’t know where to start, but I’m sure somebody out there knows how to extend an invitation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

rtrooney - 31 January 2017 06:31 PM

There is one way to find out why a Swedish game developer set the game in the United States and used American voice actors, etc. Ask him.

Whaaat? Of course it’s a question that only the developer can answer, I’m just replying to something that Chrissie said. We are just talking, sharing our opinions and feelings about the game. Geezzzz..

~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top