• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Iznogood - 13 January 2015 11:24 AM

Actually I do consider myself a liberal and I love the Larry games. Wink
(Though liberal in the word’s original meaning, and not as in left-wing)

subbi - 13 January 2015 11:00 AM

Well, we should worry more for potentially losing both Longest Journeys to the next round Cry

Fortunately that won’t happen… Right?... It won’t happen, you will all vote for them? ... RIGHT!

I meant in left-wing sense this time.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 13 January 2015 11:32 AM

OK, I’ll oblige. I’m left-wing, and I voted for LSL7.
I really like the Larry games. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 13 January 2015 03:15 PM
Bogi - 13 January 2015 11:32 AM

OK, I’ll oblige. I’m left-wing, and I voted for LSL7.
I really like the Larry games. Wink

You are ruining my hypothesis Shifty Eyed  Smile

Well what a heck, it seems the rule is that there are no rules for liking Larry Laffer - old school gentleman and charmer Cool

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am a bit surprised that there was any more love for Edna and Harvey and that it only got a meager 7 (read: seven) votes against Gabriel. I’m not surprised it lost as many love the GK series and many still haven’t played Edna Pan

But I expected a more equal match.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It’s a bit difficult to keep track of how all games are doing due to the sheer amount of thread and info (not complaining!), and I don’t have the time to keep up with all threads and voting, just wondering: how are Lucas games faring compared to the rest?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Pretty much as expected.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

And yep! Its now official.

Riven lost to…the Neverhood…
Zork GI lost to…Primordia…
TLE lost to….Blackwell Epiphany…

In other words, instand Top-10 classics lost to games that will pretty much get exterminated in the next round. By far the greatest surprises thus far…

Poor 1st person Adventure games…no love…. Frown
(Tex excepted. He seems to fight quite well.)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 15 January 2015 06:06 AM

No love for text adventures either Frown

AG fans. No respect for their elders!  Angry

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

In other words, instand Top-10 classics lost to games that will pretty much get exterminated in the next round. By far the greatest surprises thus far…

Well Blackwell Epiphany is currently at 8-9 Vs KG6, so I wouldn’t call that extermination. Admittedly the other two are losing by more considerable margins, but taking into account the opposition, that’s hardly surprising. I doubt Riven or Zork GI would have done much (any?) better. You are right re 1st person games though - it does look like there’s a definite 3rd person preference (from me too!).

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well, in all reality it’s only a fight to determine who will be destroyed in the next round Grin Grin

And I’m pretty sure Blackwell Epiphany will get that honor in the end.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Bogi - 15 January 2015 09:47 AM

Well, in all reality it’s only a fight to determine who will be destroyed in the next round Grin Grin

True enough lol. Though Blackwell might well get my vote if it makes it (though it will be hard to vote against Secret of Monkey Island), so at least it won’t end on zero Laughing. Not as definite as you that it will make it - it’s clearly going to be a close run thing.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m pretty sure it will make it and would even predict that will be less than 7 point difference against SoMI Wink

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

(Tex excepted. He seems to fight quite well.)

I used to visit the AG forums in the 2000-2003 range, and even in those days the forum membership as a whole seemed slanted toward fans of third-person adventures over fans of first-person adventures. (By third-person and first-person adventures, I mean the sub-genre of gameplay style, not just the visual perspective that we’ve sloppily come to name those sub-genres by.)

Back then, lots of first-person adventures were still coming out, so it’s not like there was lack of opportunity to discuss first-person adventures on the AG forums, either. I think JustAdventure, GameBoomers, and perhaps some other forums had better representation of first-person adventure fans.

I think Tex Murphy gets a pass in the tournament partly because it plays and feels so similarly to what people expect from the third-person adventure sub-genre, even though it is played from a first-person perspective. So basically I’m saying I think you are right, and there is a bias.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Bogi, I’m liberal and I love Leisure Suit Larry   Grin

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 10 January 2015 05:06 PM

This is such a fun thread & I appreciate the tremendous amount of work that’s gone into it but the biggest flaw is that all of us that are voting haven’t played everything! I’m voting for games that I like that are in competition with games that I haven’t played that I might have liked better! & then I’m not voting for any games at all because I haven’t played them! What more can I say other than it’s interesting to see how it’s going & what the outcome will be & also I appreciate what you’ve set out to do Bogi!

That is a very fair point, but unfortunately, that’s the way these things are usually. Even when magazines/websites are trying to figure out the best games of the year, or the best games of all time, not all their staff have played every game in existence. There is just not enough time to play every adventure game. Another separate point is that nostalgia can skew results sometimes. Not only was I a different person back in 1994 when I played my first adventure game, my mental state back then was probably different, so I might have loved games then that if I played now wouldn’t impress me as much.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top