• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It’s interesting to see release years of games that will seem to pass to the best 32 round:

1990 - 2
1991 - 1
1992 - 2
1993 - 3
1994 - 2
1995 - 4
1996 - 3
1997 - 2
1998 - 2
1999 - 2
2000 - 1
2002 - 1
2006 - 1
2009 - 2
2011 - 1
2012 - 2
2014 - 1

23 games from the 90s, 5 from 2000s and 4 from 2010s, and we have ‘93, ‘95 and ‘96 as the leading years.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

This is such a fun thread & I appreciate the tremendous amount of work that’s gone into it but the biggest flaw is that all of us that are voting haven’t played everything! I’m voting for games that I like that are in competition with games that I haven’t played that I might have liked better! & then I’m not voting for any games at all because I haven’t played them! What more can I say other than it’s interesting to see how it’s going & what the outcome will be & also I appreciate what you’ve set out to do Bogi!

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Thank you Chrissie, glad to hear that Smile

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m thinking to start with the first half of R32 brackets tonight, after the voting for R64-Brackets 3, 4, 5 is closed or should we wait for the whole R64 round to finish?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think you should start. Keeps things going and doesn’t clog the forum now.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m now looking at the scores games got in the reviews on this site and how far did they make. It’s really all over the place and some are completely crazy:

Curse of Monkey Island - 3.5 stars Grin (and I even don’t like Curse that much)

L.A. Noire - 5 stars (perfect score Crazy )

Artistic liberties indeed Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Dig - 3 stars

Full Throttle - 3.5 stars

Sanitarium - 3.5 stars…!!!

Edit: Space Quest IV also only got 3 stars!

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I didn’t look at those yet, wow Gasp

(I better don’t start with the ones that got 4.5 Smile )

It would be interesting to compare the final standings with these.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The score on the site was assigned by the single reviewer that reviewed the game. Given the differences of opinion people have here, it’s perfectly normal that those scores don’t match the game’s standing in our tournament (and the AG Top 100 for that matter)... Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think tournament’s and the AG Top 100 scores will be somewhat similar, which is very good in a sense that we can very objectively say that these are the games that represent the very best of our genre and it’s a stance that both critics and players share.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeah, it would take some sort of an average score to compare, like metacritic though they could be garbage too Tongue The best bet is an average score from a well established adventure game sites

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 12 January 2015 07:44 AM

I’m thinking to start with the first half of R32 brackets tonight, after the voting for R64-Brackets 3, 4, 5 is closed or should we wait for the whole R64 round to finish?

That’s actually a great idea. It keeps the tournament moving forward (and maintaining momentum) and we’re reaching the stage where we’re no longer clogging the entire forum. I don’t know about everyone else, but I’d say “go for it”! Thumbs Up

As an aside, I’ve added this image in the overview thread, with an expanded version of this image planned for the Round of 32. I’d use similar images for the rounds after that with the exception that I’d delete the previous round each time (so it’s not an oversized full bracket).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Then that’s solved.

That’s great Tim! Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Bogi - 12 January 2015 01:34 PM

I think tournament’s and the AG Top 100 scores will be somewhat similar, which is very good in a sense that we can very objectively say that these are the games that represent the very best of our genre and it’s a stance that both critics and players share.

Actually to me it looks like there might be some big differences between the two, perhaps not at the very top but in the secondary places. And I think that a large reason for this is the difference between a knock-out tournament like this, and the way the top 100 list was made. It doesn’t mean that one is better or more right than the other though, just that their purpose is different.

Regarding the review scores: Yeah it is “just” one persons opinion, but equally important it is also made at the time of release, so it doesn’t include how well it have withstood the test of time, which both this tournament and the top 100 list does.

BTW the biggest surprise for me so far is that Larry lost to Machinarium Cry
I would never have been able to predict that, and I still can’t quite wrap my head around it. I’m sure there is some reason or meaning to it, but what it is, is beyond my understanding.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood - 13 January 2015 03:00 AM

Regarding the review scores: Yeah it is “just” one persons opinion, but equally important it is also made at the time of release, so it doesn’t include how well it have withstood the test of time, which both this tournament and the top 100 list does.

I don’t think either does, actually. Newer games are bound to be rated higher, since they’re fresher in the memory, have hi-res graphics and more accessible interfaces. Look how many people played GK for the first time with the remake, and loved it. If Curse of MI or Zork Nemesis were released today, I don’t doubt they would be 4-5 stars games. And if Primordia was a 1991 game, it would be no more than a 3, without even a mention in this tournament.

BTW the biggest surprise for me so far is that Larry lost to Machinarium Cry
I would never have been able to predict that, and I still can’t quite wrap my head around it. I’m sure there is some reason or meaning to it, but what it is, is beyond my understanding.

Perhaps there are *gasp* women voting?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top