• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

TimovieMan - 08 February 2015 07:33 PM

Those two semi-finals were so closely fought, it’s like they could have gone either way.

Glad to see my predicted final is the actual final. And Advie called it too. Officially even. If only betting had been possible. Tongue

Yeah, that’s my thought as well. I restrained myself of voting in the GK1 vs GF match. Couldn’t decide which was better and was afraid that my vote would be the one that matters. And the results showed it too. It’s like we’re having four “there can be only one” games Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

There is nothing official about this particular final.

It does, however, represent the sentiment of the active forum users of AG pretty accurately, given the apparent LucasArts favoritism on this board.

This is totally fine, but it does not necessarily has to represent a larger fanbase beyond the 50-odd people that consistently voted here.

Somehow, I would then expect a more balanced placement of the top spots (as with the AG Top 100 listing)....though that heavily depends on composition of the full fanbase, which still might shift more towards LucasArts…..

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Now that we have reached the final stage of the tournament, then I would like to thank Bogi for not only coming up with the idea for it, but also for doing all the hard work of organizing everything counting the votes etc.
Job well done

I has both been nail-bitingly exciting, and excruciatingly painful to watch (almost) all my favourite games being eliminated by lesser games. But it has also been educational and funny to learn about other members taste in games, and read about the reasons why they vote as they do

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Awwww… Thank you very very much! 

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Iznogood - 09 February 2015 08:00 AM

Now that we have reached the final stage of the tournament, then I would like to thank Bogi for not only coming up with the idea for it, but also for doing all the hard work of organizing everything counting the votes etc.
Job well done

I has both been nail-bitingly exciting, and excruciatingly painful to watch (almost) all my favourite games being eliminated by lesser games. But it has also been educational and funny to learn about other members taste in games, and read about the reasons why they vote as they do

Yeah, great job, Bogi! I wasn’t around for the entirety of it and only voted sporadically (mostly not to upset the odds in cases where I didn’t really particularly care about a game or the other), but I’ve enjoyed this tournament. Kudos!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Given the relative ease with which Grim Fandango is winning against DotT and GK1 is winning against Tex, and given how hard-fought and close the semi-finals were, I think it’s safe to say that the final should have been Grim Fandango vs. Gabriel Knight.

In other words: I agree with those that state that said semifinal was in fact the true final…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I agree.

But even in other tournaments I’ve always found the semi-finals more interesting than the finals.

Anyways, thanks Bogi for the great amount of work you’ve put into this Smile . I’ll miss the scrolling through each thread every hour-or-so.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Thanks!

I fully agree that the final placement should in fact be:

1. Grim Fandango
2. Gabriel Knight
3. Day of the Tentacle
4. Pandora Directive

Those semifinals were truly the final and the 3rd place match.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 11 February 2015 06:34 AM

I think it’s safe to say that the final should have been Grim Fandango vs. Gabriel Knight.

Nah… the final is The Final!

Once you go down that road, than you could make all sorts of claims, for example I have noticed that many that vote for Gabriel Knight also voted for The Longest Journey, so what would have happened if GK and TLJ had meet each other early in the tournament, or what if…

Just because DotT beat TLJ and GK is beating DotT then it doesn’t necessarily follow that GK would also beat TLJ, it simply doesn’t work like that.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Oh, I’m quite sure that GK would beat TLJ Grin

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Bogi - 11 February 2015 09:18 AM

I’m not. At all. Meh

I agree with Iznogood.

The Final is the final. Grim Fandango against Day of the Tentacle. That is a fact. End of story.

Everything else (like a comparison of DotT against GK) is highly hypothetical.

Of course that could change if this contest is done again, right from the beginning with different pairings/groups and we see if the results get different.
Interested Bogi? Tongue

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Sefir - 11 February 2015 09:58 AM
Bogi - 11 February 2015 09:18 AM

I’m not. At all. Meh

I agree with Iznogood.

The Final is the final. Grim Fandango against Day of the Tentacle. That is a fact. End of story.

Everything else (like a comparison of DotT against GK) is highly hypothetical.

Of course that could change if this contest is done again, right from the beginning with different pairings/groups and we see if the results get different.
Interested Bogi? Tongue

Ha ha, well maybe in a year or so Grin

But everyone can open one thread with GK vs TLJ match, I’m really curious about the result Naughty

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Bogi - 11 February 2015 07:35 AM

Thanks!

I fully agree that the final placement should in fact be:

1. Grim Fandango
2. Gabriel Knight
3. Day of the Tentacle
4. Pandora Directive

Those semifinals were truly the final and the 3rd place match.

Yes, now we’re talking. I completely agree. The tensed semi-final of GK vs Grim was the real final…..but I understand that you need to stick to the conventions of the tournament aswel.

Thanks for organizing the whole thing. It’s been inspirational and fun!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lets break down your arguments for why you think that GF vs. GK was the true final and GK morally should be declared 2nd place.

GF beast GK with a small margin in the semi and DotT beats TPD with an equally small margin in the other semi, now GF is beating DotT in the final with a large margin and GK also has a comfortable lead over TPD, therefore GK would also have beaten DotT if they had meet.

But that is nothing but a big pile of… assumptions and conjecture!

Lets say that the semifinals had been like this instead of what they actually were:
1. Grim Fandango vs. The Pandora Directive
2. Gabriel Knight vs. Day of the Tentacle

Base on the actual results, it is a fairly safe assumption that GF would have beaten TPD, but we can’t make any similar assumptions for the 2nd match.

Both GF and DotT are Lucasarts games and made by the same person no less, this means that the actual final is forcing Lucas and Schafer fans to decide between the two games and splitting their votes, but in a match between DotT and GK that wouldn’t be the case, and the Lucas and Schafer fans would most likely vote for DotT, whereas the Gabriel and Jensen fans would most likely vote for GK.

Now GF did actually beat GK in the semifinal, which means that we can with some confidence conclude that there are more Lucas and Schafer fans in this forum than there are Gabriel and Jensen fans, which means that DotT would most likely have beaten GK. So the only logical conclusion is that even if we switch the semifinals then we would still have ended up with a final between Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle!

Yes - I am also making some assumptions here, and none of us can know for sure how it would actually have played out, but I actually believe my analysis here is more likely to be true, then the simple number game many of you are playing with the votes.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yay logic problems. I love those Grin
We know 2 facts:

1- More fans in this tournament love Grim than DOTT.
2- More fans in this tournament love GK than PD.

We cannot jump to the conclusion that GK beats DOTT, or vice versa, because all I need is give you one counter example, and the conclusion is false.

Take this extreme counter example for the first conclusion: Suppose all LA fans will always vote LA, and none LA fans will always vote none LA. Well there are more LA fans because Grim beat GK, so based on this DOTT beats GK.

Take this other extreme counter example for the second conclusion: Suppose all LA fans vote for Grim, and a few of them will vote for GK over DOTT. Suppose all None LA fans vote for GK. Well knowing that, GK will win, because it has all the none LA votes plus a few of the LA votes.

My point is, it is folly to jump to any type of conclusion based only on the 2 facts we know above.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top