• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

General Gaming News Thread

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

1 hr in Wolf2 , Kojima dethroned and 10 mins standing for just Mick gordons Music
You can tell things will goto places

THAT preorder bonus is still not showing up and now as season pass
Same thing happened with extra weapon in Evilwithin2 preorder bonus, didnt get the weapon

Meanwhile Hellboy makes an entrance

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

Origami - 27 October 2017 08:35 AM
SG59 - 26 October 2017 05:12 PM

I need a reason to push forward and get lost in a games world.

If you want to get lost in a games world story heavy games are not the way to go. Since they always tell you where or what to do next. Breath of the Wild is a fine example of getting lost in a world, finding your way through exploration and experimentation.

Open world games tend to have really big empty worlds and so does BOTW. Heck, even reaching objectives in that game gives you the same animation and rewards. The devs were clearly having a laugh at the players when they made collecting poo a mission too.

I’d much prefer a smaller, but packed world like Majora’s Mask or Shenmue.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SG59 - 27 October 2017 12:04 PM

Open world games tend to have really big empty worlds and so does BOTW

Playing Darksiders2 remaster right now, made me realize how empty Botw was and almost all zelda games have redundant and stoneage combat against Dsiders,Dsouls or Okami etc

But Zelda will sell more ofcourse, not to mention all 3 games mentioned also do story,bosses and puzzles better

The devs were clearly having a laugh at the players when they made collecting poo a mission too

You forgot chu chu jelly enemies repeated 100 times Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Breakdown of SWars Ragtag debacle

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Jade and executives wanting typical hooks , poor management, Hardline DLCs , Frostbite sucks, lack of staff, 100 million cost estimations , game was in production in mid 2015 with few people,Amy centralizing power etc

In short shitshow

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

If you want to get lost in a games world story heavy games are not the way to go. Since they always tell you where or what to do next. Breath of the Wild is a fine example of getting lost in a world, finding your way through exploration and experimentation.

Open world games tend to have really big empty worlds and so does BOTW. Heck, even reaching objectives in that game gives you the same animation and rewards. The devs were clearly having a laugh at the players when they made collecting poo a mission too.

I understand what you are saying now. 10 years ago I also had an aversion towards sandbox games because of their emptiness and the same elements being placed every x meters. Nowadays there are a couple of sandbox games that are playable to me because of their detailed nature like Red Dead Redemption. I always preferred more linear games and only played JRPG’s steering away from western ones. But Odyssey isn’t truly a sandbox game, it has a main hub and you can access different worlds from it. I haven’t played Odyssey yet but if Mario Galaxy is of any indication the game should offer enough variety in that every collectible has a unique way of obtaining it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 27 October 2017 04:25 PM

https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Jade and executives wanting typical hooks , poor management, Hardline DLCs , Frostbite sucks, lack of staff, 100 million cost estimations , game was in production in mid 2015 with few people,Amy centralizing power etc

In short shitshow

What a mess but the game sounded great. Hope we get to see that demo footage someday
But some of those quotes “Where is Chewbacca?” “needs to have multiplayer” “What is this game gravity’s gun?” - lol. It’s a Star Wars single player action-adventure game not enough?
Amy didn’t seem to trust the Visceral team but the EAs execs kept mining the project

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 27 October 2017 05:36 PM
nomadsoul - 27 October 2017 04:25 PM

In short shitshow

What a mess but the game sounded great. Hope we get to see that demo footage someday
But some of those quotes “Where is Chewbacca?” “needs to have multiplayer” “What is this game gravity’s gun?” - lol. It’s a Star Wars single player action-adventure game not enough?
Amy didn’t seem to trust the Visceral team but the EAs execs kept mining the project

Thats an issue, she should have gone to studio with same expertise as Ndog else expect compromised vision and result
The irony of them executives demanding the innovation as if they are making very innovative games Pan
And i totally agree that whole band of scoundrels concept was cool as well as team mechanics, like extension of BinaryDomain, but thats something Sony first party can do not others
Also SW execs need to pass some elements fitting the brand and universe is another complex F up layer of management , not a flexible IP to work with

In ideal world Amy should go back to CD and SEnix give her team to finish off BloodOmen/SR with one final game on UE4 Innocent

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Interesting read. Amy Hennig comes off as your usual difficult-to-work-with perfectionist/control-freak.

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

Origami - 27 October 2017 04:28 PM

I understand what you are saying now. 10 years ago I also had an aversion towards sandbox games because of their emptiness and the same elements being placed every x meters. Nowadays there are a couple of sandbox games that are playable to me because of their detailed nature like Red Dead Redemption. I always preferred more linear games and only played JRPG’s steering away from western ones. But Odyssey isn’t truly a sandbox game, it has a main hub and you can access different worlds from it. I haven’t played Odyssey yet but if Mario Galaxy is of any indication the game should offer enough variety in that every collectible has a unique way of obtaining it.

I’m sure it’s going to be good fun. One thing about open world games I wish we saw more of is less direct stories through exploration. Take Bioshock 1, it’s packed with these mini stories around the main one about how the antagonist(s) effected everyday people.

Imagine that in BOTW. You walk through an old abandoned village that has a creepy atmosphere and if you chose to, you can explore it to discover diaries from some of the people who lived there explaining what’s happened. As you dig deeper, you discover that the village under constant threat from a monster that was living nearby…you could then chose if you wanted to fight such monster.

Nothing major, but little stories like that really add to the game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hahaha great stuff , totally missed it

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So after recent announcements here is how early 2018 looks

Yakuza6
Ninokuni2
428:Shibuya scramble
Acecombat 7
FatalBullet
SotcRemake
Papa of war
MonsterHunterWorld
FF Dissidia
We Happy few
DragonBallFightersZ
Farcry5
Dynastywarriors9
A way out
Detroit
Reddead 2

Rekt

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Sony’s latest financial report fro fiscal Q2’17 see the Japanese company enjoying a staggering 739% spike in YoY net income, or bottom-line income after taxes and expenditures, to $1.263 billion (142.8 billion yen). The company managed to deliver a meteoric 2600% jump in net income attributable to stockholders in the period to $1.158 billion (130.9 billion yen), which ensures holders of Sony stock look favorably on the company.

During the three-month quarterly period, Sony recorded sales and operating revenue of $18.252 billion (2.062 trillion yen), up a mighty 22.1% year-over-year and about 11% quarter-over-quarter. The PlayStation and subscription-led Games and Network Services segment earned the lion’s share of sales with $3.83 billion (433.2 billion yen) or 21% of total sales revenues.

Thats great, with Single player games

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

None of that loot box naff either.

Concrete Genie looked good and although previous games from QDreams have been rough, Detroit has my interest. I just hope they can get the story right. SoTC has my interest too, but I need to see how it runs.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SG59 - 31 October 2017 05:14 PM

Concrete Genie looked good

Yes this game was like TimSchafers dream game he never made
Neat idea and looks beautiful

SoTC has my interest too, but I need to see how it runs.

Check this Extended demo gameplay

Looks and runs phenomenally , remake this game forever Smile
Also game has 60fps support on Pro
Its also on the showfloor

Funny its 3 months away , my best game ever getting a remake like this
However i dont have any issue with the remake except Wanderer hair and face, i hope they get cutscenes right too where there are closeups on face

Joined 2017-09-25

PM

It does look great, I just hope for those of us with original PS4’s aren’t getting a bad version. If possible, I’d like them to copy other games in having a quailty mode (great visuals, 30FPS) or performance mode (lower visuals, 60FPS).

Either way, I hope they keep the FPS consistent. Even if it is 30, it’s better to lock it at 30 then have it jumping around.

With Xbox One X on the way, I wonder what Sony will do next. It seems way too early for another console. I’m kind of tired of these mini upgrades too. Might stick to PC if they continue.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top