• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

LK, I’m sure Woodstock will go along fine with the Yaki-bird:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 18 January 2015 03:32 PM

LK, I’m sure Woodstock will go along fine with the Yaki-bird:

Grin Grin
Good one!!

Tempted to call it a bit spoilerish though… She is 2 chapters behind!!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 18 January 2015 08:17 AM
Zifnab - 18 January 2015 06:58 AM
Sefir - 18 January 2015 06:32 AM

FULL SOLUTION CONCERNING THE “FAST” YAKI
Step 1:Blow off all the candles in the screen.The yaki appears automatically.

WHAT. I had NO idea you could do that. So why on earth can fat spot blow the foghorn but not candles? Bad puzzle, bad BAD puzzle.

Thumbs Up

Because blowing the candles is something Sadwick can do on his own. Sadwick doesn’t have the power to blow the horn. He even mentions it. The puzzle is very good as it is in that department. Smile

Oh, nonsense. Bad logic is bad logic. The axe puzzle is another example.

Why do you keep defending the game against every fair criticism? You don’t need to be hurt if someone doesn’t like a puzzle.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Chapter 2 is my least favorite chapter. I don’t like Bando and his boss, they’re unfunny. Some contrived puzzles.

Well, compared to one it’s not as good so far. Not a bad chapter by any means, but not as good as the first one.

Maybe it get better at the end of the chapter however.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 18 January 2015 04:12 PM

Oh, nonsense. Bad logic is bad logic. The axe puzzle is another example.

Why do you keep defending the game against every fair criticism? You don’t need to be hurt if someone doesn’t like a puzzle.

Hurt is a very wrong word. I just see logic through these particular puzzles you mentioned either through Sadwick’s comments or through a different way of logical thinking. My comments are fair too you know…I just present you some thoughts or details that you might have missed/not thought off and offer a different perspective.  I find nothing wrong in discussing about the game we play together.

About chapter 2 in general:
I also believe that this chapter is slightly weaker than the first one. Using the rat on the pantaloons was stupid. At least the game is completely self aware of that and Sadwick humours the solution in an appropriate way. I do like Mulachei, the yaki and the new Spot transformation.  But what Sadwick did to poor Spot was completely out of character IMO. There are some comments from the developers about that moment that I heavily disagree.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I´m done with chapter 2 as well. And quite liked it, even though the island feels a bit small and empty. Found the puzzles quite logical, at least compared to the last CP..

And I, for one, liked Bando- at least his german incarnation. Didn´t like the boss character, but definetly poor Bando who loves noise.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The way I see it, if the solution to a puzzle is to cut/burn/extinguish something, and you have two ways of cutting/burning/extinguishing, the game should either let me do both, or give me a reason why I can’t do one.

I have had problems with Daedelic’s ‘one puzzle, one solution’ mantra before. Even Sierra is much fairer at most times. The best AG puzzles ask the player to first say ‘okay, I need to do this, but how?’. When the game doesn’t respond to a sensible way of accomplishing a task, it’s rational to think you are looking at it the wrong way and that the task doesn’t need to be accomplished after all; and irrational to use every cutting device you own because only one will cut a piece of string.

This is where the AG genre’s reputation for illogical puzzles comes from. You can blame the player for not using everything on everything, but I prefer to blame the developer for artificially inflating the difficulty for no reason and punishing rational thinking.

Edit: It also misses the opportunity for some great jokes. Take the Space Quest series, you could try something and the narrator would say ‘Now there’s an idea! If only…’ and make a very clever joke/hint which often put you on the right track through innuendo. TWW does that occasionally, but not enough.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Duck of Doom - 18 January 2015 06:53 PM

...the island feels a bit small and empty. Found the puzzles quite logical, at least compared to the last CP..

1) EVERYTHING is more logical than the Discworld riddles. That’s not a fair comparison! Tongue
2) Yes, it feels empty. This is something that you will notice in other chapters as well. Of course, there is a perfectly well reason for it, but the number of characters could have been bigger.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also believe that this chapter is slightly weaker than the first one.

This is true, but it is starting to pick up now that I am towards the end of the chapter.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still a bit behind here, not even sure what am I supposed to do here Smile

Bando voice is great! Love to hear him yell all kinds of random stuff

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 19 January 2015 03:50 PM

The main goal is, of course, to find grandpa’s pantaloons. Smile

SoccerDude28 - 18 January 2015 01:23 PM

you should be able to solve a puzzle in multiple ways, but none of them work because the designer had this one specific way in their mind.

The only problem I had in that regard is getting the pantaloons. Is the mouse really so stretchy to reach further than the ladder, or a shovel? But, like Sefir, I have to defend this puzzle also - if it was proven that socks are like “cheese” to mouse before, imagine what a “desert” pantaloons would make to it! And since you’ve used your hook already, the mouse is the only thing in your inventory that can securely “grab” the pantaloons. Smile

BTW, how does Ruben know he’s missing exactly one pearl only by smelling it? Grin Also, I knew Mulachei is reminding me of someone…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 19 January 2015 04:08 PM

I knew Mulachei is reminding me of someone…

Famous Yoda Quotes: “One who votes not for The Whispered World, a traitor is!!”
Naughty

EDIT:

BTW, how does Ruben know he’s missing exactly one pearl only by smelling it?

Have you ever heard of Scrooge McDuck?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

wilco - 19 January 2015 03:50 PM

The main goal is, of course, to find grandpa’s pantaloons. Smile

It had to be. I beginning to wonder when they would show up! (Spot should have a pantaloons form by now Smile )

Sefir - 16 January 2015 02:57 AM

Tip 1: To find Spot’s new transormation you have to be kind of a sadist. Don’t worry. Catterpillars are famed for their flexibility.

Kind of sadist?!? Smile That was some nightmare Inquisition torture. I was just trying for the response and couldn’t believe Sad(ist)wick went with it. Foot in mouth
Poor Spot!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The main goal is, of course, to find grandpa’s pantaloons

I have them. Now what on earth we are going to do with them in the future I’m clueless.

Heart

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m stuck, need a little wink, wink nudge, nudge

The factory is working and I got the 5 spot form
I have half a cog.
I think I either need to find the other half to open the door or use something on the creature under the bed- a yaki?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top