• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I just want to apologize for not participating in the CP even though i voted for it. RL-things have just been getting in the way, and I haven’t been able to find the time to play Confused

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finally resolved my hard drive freezing issue (and it was the one where TWW was installed - I thought it was dying, but a format resolved it! Always format, kids!). A funny thing happened - I was stuck for half an hour looking for a vessel for a fountain water, not realizing [spoiler]I already had the flask because I thought I have only [/spoiler] 2 items in my inventory Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I just realized that I hadn’t thanked Sefir for leading this playthrough, so better late than never: Thank you for leading this playthrough Sefir.

And while I am it, let me also thank Diego and Becky for making it more interesting with their quizzes.

Oscar - 22 February 2015 09:01 AM

So, my overall verdict: 3.5/5
I think that’s slightly on the generous side too. Its place in the Daedelic catalogue, well it’s better than Deponia and Satinav but it’s not their best work.

Personally I think both Deponia and especially Satinav are better games, but yeah I agree, somewhere in the low to middle end of Daedelic’s catalogue and an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars, which is still above average and a relative high rating in my book.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 02 March 2015 03:48 AM

I just realized that I hadn’t thanked Sefir for leading this playthrough, so better late than never: Thank you for leading this playthrough Sefir.

Yeah, thanks Sefir for all your fine efforts. Great job! Smile

Oscar - 22 February 2015 09:01 AM

So, my overall verdict: 3.5/5
I think that’s slightly on the generous side too. Its place in the Daedelic catalogue, well it’s better than Deponia and Satinav but it’s not their best work.

Personally I think both Deponia and especially Satinav are better games, but yeah I agree, somewhere in the low to middle end of Daedelic’s catalogue and an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars, which is still above average and a relative high rating in my book.

Actually for me that puts TWW quite high in my Daedelic games list. I think the only games I liked better were Edna & Harvey and Night of the Rabbit.

It’s weird how the thread just stopped. Did people not like the ending? I thought there would be more discussion and reflection, but maybe this is par for the course for a CP.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks Sefir—this was a corker of a playthrough! I thought the ending of the game was magnificent. I didn’t see it coming at all the first time I played this game. This time, the journey through the story and gameworld was more poignant as a result of knowing the ending.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thanks everyone for participating in TWW playthrough and for the nice words. It is one of my favorite games of all time (and a personal favorite in the Daedelic games list) and it was really a pleasure replaying it with the community.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Why, thank you for leading it. A much more interesting game play for me thanks to all the fine people I got to share it with.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finished! Disappointed with the “alternate ending” (Not that they had much options, but you don’t advertise “ALTERNATE ENDING” if it’s just a little, well-hidden Easter Egg adding nothing to the main story, and not what you would had in mind when contemplating with “staying in Sadwick’s world” idea), but after this playthrough I have even higher opinion of the game, mainly because I liked the puzzles even more than the first time, and because TWW makes you laugh in a dire situations. It’s not a laugh-out-loud experience, but slight touches of humor here and there make such a brilliant juxtaposition to the desperate and melancholy world like The Autumn Forest or remnants of what was once a great kingdom. And enough had been said about the Sadwick & Spot duo - what adventure game really needs is a memorable character. Sounds too easy, but it’s the hardest thing to achieve, and that’s what makes games a classic. And like Becky said, Sadwick and Spot certainly fall into that category.

There’re only 2 minor drawbacks - the world seems even too desolate (though it makes sense in the retrospective), and the music is a tad repetitive, and could be more varied in terms of the style, tempo… Will add more thoughts later.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Thanks for the tip for the last valve, I continued the game then but took a pause at Station Agent and it turned out to be a bit longer pause than intended.

I finished the game now though and very much enjoyed the last chapter. I still got stuck to a puzzle here and there and got a bit annoyed, a few times I felt the solution was a bit harder than it should’ve been. Though I only checked walkthru once, for the funnel. (After going back and forth forever to get everything else, I seriously just couldn’t bother going through everything again and again for the stupid funnel, since I got no hint towards how I could get it. The solution in the end was logical enough, I was just exhausted in fetching at that point.)

I disliked the colour puzzle, I’m good at mixing colours and it didn’t seem to make any sense. I also didn’t really enjoy the planet puzzle though I got it right at the second try. First I was one off with the order counter clockwise. I enjoyed the moment playing solo as a Spot the most, and after that pretty much anything else that had something to do with Spot. While I have nothing against Sadwick and I actually like him more than an average protagonist, Spot is just pure excellence and could carry a game of its own.

Overall I think I enjoyed the last chapter the most, when the actual end of the world is near, the stakes are higher and things are finally really interesting. I was thinking about stopping after I get the items for the planetarium but eventually played it through because I needed to see what will happen (to Spot!).

I didn’t “see” the end twist but I did expect some kind of reveal. I didn’t really spend that much time speculating what it could be, perhaps if I had, I could’ve guessed it. I liked the ending though it wasn’t completely satisfying. And I also would have preferred a real alternate ending, even though this ending was obviously “the true one”. I’m just used to seeing alternate (bad) endings with all the visual novels I play.

I consider this a 4 star game. I adore Edna & Harvey almost above anything and I personally really liked The Dark Eye games too so this will probably be a tad worse than them but still not bad at all.

Thanks for organising the playthrough, even though I dropped out in the middle.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top