• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabegrizzlypantsVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, Guzman was funny and creepy, specially because of the voice acting. Where is the accent from? Was he supposed to be brazilian or from a spanish speaking country or other? Just curiosity.

TimovieMan - 10 March 2013 08:01 PM

Heh, I more or less “accidentally” solved that one. “Hey, that thing does something! Let’s try everything I have with it, just to see what happens!” Grin

Basic adventure gaming, imo. Tongue

My problem was that it in middle of all gizmos and gadgets I didn’t realize for a long time that I could do something there.  Pan

Jim Montanus - 10 March 2013 09:00 PM

<Draws deep breath> “GLOBBO! is a semi sentient quasi organic polymorphic playroom assassination device” - it is a boardgame published by Steve Jackson Games. It is the first game I ever computerized, and what I used to teach myself to program C++ in order to apply to Legend Entertainment for a job. I guess it worked. Smile

Here’s a link to the BoardGameGeek Website - pictures of the computerization (as well as my wife wearing a GLOBBO! shirt) can be seen here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2195/globbo

Thanks! Never heard of it before.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

wilco - 11 March 2013 11:52 AM

I agree, Guzman was funny and creepy, specially because of the voice acting. Where is the accent from? Was he supposed to be brazilian or from a spanish speaking country or other? Just curiosity.

That’s a funny story. The actor who did Guzman’s voice was born and raised in Brazil, and said he was doing an absolutely authentic Brazilian accent. It may be that we’re only familiar with Hollywood’s interpretation of a Brazilian accent, and/or that the actor was speaking with a dialect accent that we’re not familiar with, but it clearly didn’t sound as we expected it to.

One reviewer actually dinged us for that specific perceived failing, calling out Guzman’s accent as not sounding authentically Brazilian enough.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Josho - 11 March 2013 12:15 PM

That’s a funny story. The actor who did Guzman’s voice was born and raised in Brazil, and said he was doing an absolutely authentic Brazilian accent. It may be that we’re only familiar with Hollywood’s interpretation of a Brazilian accent, and/or that the actor was speaking with a dialect accent that we’re not familiar with, but it clearly didn’t sound as we expected it to.

One reviewer actually dinged us for that specific perceived failing, calling out Guzman’s accent as not sounding authentically Brazilian enough.

Great story. Portuguese is my first language but I’m not from Brazil so I really can’t say if it’s authentic or not but it did sound really weird to me. Not that I would hold it against the game, it just adds to the creepy nature of Guzman Smile

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Creepy? I didn’t think so mostly because he is so bad at being threatening - the way Jake and Josie shake him off in the temple’s courtyard is pure comedy gold. Grin Funny? You betcha, the guy is hilarious! His pre-flight monologue is a brilliant takeoff (pun most assuredly intended Wink) on airlines’ pre-flight BS.

Regarding his accent, I’ve known a few Brazilians in my time and I think the voice actor nailed some stuff but not everything. Still, I felt he was fairly genuine.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just went back into the ship and found the bathroom and the game room.  Great fun!  I poked about in the bar a bit but will wait patiently before starting the next installment.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

ATTENTION! FIRE IN THE TEMPLE!

It’s usually STARTING the fire that is a harder part of the puzzle - but now I can’t put it out. Foot in mouth (but I do love the cozy atmosphere and a crackling sound of it, though Tongue)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

diego - 11 March 2013 08:19 PM

ATTENTION! FIRE IN THE TEMPLE!

It’s usually STARTING the fire that is a harder part of the puzzle - but now I can’t put it out. Foot in mouth (but I do love the cozy atmosphere and a crackling sound of it, though Tongue)

We were supposed to put it out? I think I left mine going… I probably burnt down the temple.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, my idea was to put out the fire and remove the cooled pot - but now that you mention it, I guess I could just remove the hot pot with the right, eh, “accessory”. Grin Now, where should I find the “gloves” of some sort in the middle of a jungle? Shifty Eyed

EDIT: Ahh, I’ve figured it out.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

TerminusEst - 11 March 2013 02:50 PM

Creepy? I didn’t think so mostly because he is so bad at being threatening - the way Jake and Josie shake him off in the temple’s courtyard is pure comedy gold. Grin Funny? You betcha, the guy is hilarious! His pre-flight monologue is a brilliant takeoff (pun most assuredly intended Wink) on airlines’ pre-flight BS.

Regarding his accent, I’ve known a few Brazilians in my time and I think the voice actor nailed some stuff but not everything. Still, I felt he was fairly genuine.

That was exactly the response I was hoping for - thank you! Now, anyone care to comment on the different disguise game states for the player in Squish’s story? If I remember, I think there is one possible game state that is missing a picture, so there is an X’d out version of the player for that case.

“Thousands of your eath weekends” and “alternate backup garbage” were always memorable to me.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

wilco - 11 March 2013 11:52 AM

My problem was that it in middle of all gizmos and gadgets I didn’t realize for a long time that I could do something there.  Pan

Same here. I tried things on other whatsiehoosits that didn’t work but I didn’t realize that there was one that would. D’oh!

Anyway, I’m in the satellite, poking around. I just got by the maintenance guy (it took me a while to realize that I had to put that goopy stuff on MYSELF but I eventually got it.).

This story is definitely harder than the other two so far but it’s as fun as ever.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CoyoteAG - 12 March 2013 12:52 PM

I just got by the maintenance guy (it took me a while to realize that I had to put that goopy stuff on MYSELF but I eventually got it.).

That’s the part that had me stumped the longest.
I had a similar situation in Pyotr’s story, took me a while to figure it out then, too… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Getting past the robot was tough.  I kept putting the contacts back on and then couldn’t see to try something else.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Me on the other hand, had a problem to figure out what to do with ehmm….the extra hands.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Sefir - 12 March 2013 01:35 PM

Me on the other hand, had a problem to figure out what to do with ehmm….the extra hands.

Same here! The rest of the disguise came pretty naturally - looking at Squish’s keychain elegantly hints the recipe for it.

Lady Kestrel - 12 March 2013 01:28 PM

I kept putting the contacts back on and then couldn’t see to try something else.

I kept wondering why everything gave me the same description for a little while there. Grin

Jim Montanus - 12 March 2013 09:34 AM

If I remember, I think there is one possible game state that is missing a picture, so there is an X’d out version of the player for that case.

I have to see that!  Gasp

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

TerminusEst - 12 March 2013 03:01 PM

I have to see that!  Gasp

Me, too! I have no recollection of that!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top