• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

CoyoteAG - 18 February 2013 06:18 PM

2. I found it very eerie when you ask the street vendor about the mug with the Statue of Liberty and he says that they had one with the Twin Towers but they kept falling over. Yes, that is a little creepy. I’m sure the screenwriters for Trading Places felt the same way.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Sefir - 17 February 2013 03:23 PM

And most importantly, all the word contests are now behind us!! Tongue

Awwww!

CoyoteAG - 18 February 2013 11:47 AM

I really only got stuck on #10. I figured out that the second clue was ores so I just started using synonyms for thud with an “ers” ending. The game actually accepted “Pounders”  as an answer (is that a band?) I didn’t realize it was supposed to be The Doors until I came here!

It was The Doors? Man, it accepted The Boomers for me! I did wonder what on earth The boomers were, but just figured I’d never heard of them.

I have started on Josie’s story, but because I am clicking on absolutely everything, I’m a bit slow to get through the chapter in the beginning. Once I’ve heard all the possible dialogues and clicked on everything I can really get started… at least until the next location!

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Hey, guys,

Here’s some info about one of the stories I proposed that never made it into the game.

Spider has a lot of time-travel stories in his books, and a fair number of “message” stories with distinctly liberal themes. At the time, politics, religion, and other hot-button topics were generally forbidden in games, because the game publishers are terrified of alienating a sizable percentage of their audience. But I thought it was worth a shot. (Not much has changed in the industry, unfortunately.)

The game would start with a stranger in the bar—a woman from the near future. Dressed for success, overworked and distraught. As her story comes out, we learn that she works for the District Attorney of New York, in one of the city’s Prenatal Crimes Divisions. At this point in history, fetuses are considered citizens with full rights. That means that there are vast numbers of crimes that require investigation and prosecution, everything from obvious cases (like abortions, stillbirths, and miscarriages) to jaywalking and speeding and hundreds of other low-level illegalities which automatically carry child endangerment charges.

She was pregnant herself, and going to be a single parent, which was also seen in her time as an offense. But she had no intention of abandoning her own timeline permanently, and did not want to live life as a fugitive.

I don’t remember many of the details of what the outcome was going to be, and how the denizens of Callahan’s helped her. I DO remember specifically that the bar was strongly divided about the method, and propriety, of helping her—I wanted a give a variety of viewpoints in the game, presented fairly and honestly, and it would end up a time-traveling story with a very bittersweet ending.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Nice story. Without knowing any details, I imagine that it would have been difficult to find puns and jokes to lighten such a serious and heavy story to match with the game’s humorous general concept…

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

CoyoteAG - 18 February 2013 11:47 AM

I don’t think anyone responded to this so I will jump in. There is a saying Thrill of victory, agony of defeat   It took me a couple of times saying it to make that connection!

Ah, thanks. I would never have found that one.

Finished Pyotr’s chapter so it’s on to Brazil for me. Smile

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

I have to say that I had an ulterior motive in the Chocolate Story. (This is something I’ve never confessed to anyone before.)

The book “Charlie & The Chocolate Factory” was a huge influence on me. It was the first book I’d ever read that made me actually crave a particular food. By writing so vividly about chocolate, and making me feel compelled to actually experience the joy of eating some, Dahl was bringing the notion of “shared pleasure” to tangible life.

So I wanted do the same thing, in the hopes that people playing the game would, at some point, feel compelled to actually eat some chocolate and share some pleasure.

Josh

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Josho - 20 February 2013 01:43 PM

The book “Charlie & The Chocolate Factory” was a huge influence on me. It was the first book I’d ever read that made me actually crave a particular food. Josh

And all along I thought it was the fact that the Ghirardelli chocolate factory was just down the road in SF.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Naah, I was living alone on a huge farm in Virginia when I worked for Legend.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I have to say that I had an ulterior motive in the Chocolate Story. (This is something I’ve never confessed to anyone before.)

The book “Charlie & The Chocolate Factory” was a huge influence on me. It was the first book I’d ever read that made me actually crave a particular food. By writing so vividly about chocolate, and making me feel compelled to actually experience the joy of eating some, Dahl was bringing the notion of “shared pleasure” to tangible life.

So I wanted do the same thing, in the hopes that people playing the game would, at some point, feel compelled to actually eat some chocolate and share some pleasure.

Josh

Ooh a confession!

I loved the book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. I must have read it dozens of times when I was a kid. Cool that you used that for inspiration.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

As promised here is a promotional piece using art from the chocolate story - I think this differs slightly from the finished game art due to some copyright issues. I don’t believe there are any spoilers in these pictures (although if you haven’t arrived at these scenes they show you what scenese are yet to come). I had originally mentioned how the quality of the art was degraded by the need to have restricted palettes - to be honest, I think the palettes were created around the rooms, so these should look pretty close to what the game looks like. What was sadly degraded was the coloring on the character animations, but since I don’t have any of the original animation art to compare that with, I can’t show you that.

Image Attachments

photo3.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Jim Montanus - 21 February 2013 12:59 AM

As promised here is a promotional piece using art from the chocolate story - I think this differs slightly from the finished game art due to some copyright issues. I don’t believe there are any spoilers in these pictures (although if you haven’t arrived at these scenes they show you what scenese are yet to come). I had originally mentioned how the quality of the art was degraded by the need to have restricted palettes - to be honest, I think the palettes were created around the rooms, so these should look pretty close to what the game looks like. What was sadly degraded was the coloring on the character animations, but since I don’t have any of the original animation art to compare that with, I can’t show you that.

Yes, I can see that these are very close to the final games quality. Slighly smoother colours perhaps. And yes, sometimes the quality difference between the background graphics and the animation is clear in some locations (f.e. in Callahan’s), but it’s ok since the game’s warm impression and general feel is still left intact.

Hehe, worked for me.  Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks for posting those pictures, Jim.  I think the quality was maintained very well in the game.

Regarding chocolate, there’s no need for arm twisting.  (See my current signature.)  I’ll be off to help Josie tonight.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 February 2013 01:16 PM

I think the quality was maintained very well in the game.

I totally agree with that. I like the graphics very much and even on the large monitor the game looks very nice.

So, I landed safely in Brazil and am already out of chocolate…

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Well I’ve finished Josie’s story and had a good time with it. I only got stuck once and that was because I missed the parachute hanging in the forest. I knew that I wanted the jack from the jeep to lift the tree but I had no idea how to get it, especially because it wasn’t being used anymore. It wasn’t until an hour or so of going back through every spot that I finally found the parachute and the walkie-talkie and was able to move on.

I thought this quest was easier than Pyotr’s. Maybe because the locations were a little more limited? I’m not sure.

And I did crave chocolate the during this quest, especially toward the end. I had to rummage through my cupboards until I found some semi-sweet chocolate chips to nosh on while I played!

I can’t wait to start the next one!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I’d fallen a bit behind on the schedule and only finished Pyotr’s quest on Wednesday. Started Josie’s quest then, too, but did nothing more than read all the comments in New York. I’ve found some time to continue today and made it all the way to Brazil.

I have laughed out loud on numerous occasions throughout this game and I’m loving every minute of it!
This remains one of the funniest games (if not THE funniest) I’ve ever played!!! Grin

Thank God for the slow playthrough pace, though. I spend almost an hour per screen, just clicking everything before actually doing anything to further the quest, because it’s just so much fun… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top