• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 08 January 2017 01:08 PM

I have the game too & couldn’t get it to run either!

I would be interested in playing Kathy Rain in a CPT!  Smile

I might be interested in Kathy Rain as well. Although from what I’ve read here on the forum when the game first came out there was a question as the whether this was an adventure game or an immersive video with options. I would risk $15 US to find out.

Side note: I have not scoured E-Bay for copies of Win98-SE. But I think many of the old games may need to have that installed on a partitioned drive if we ever hope to play them again. That not only includes Black Dahlia, but just about any of the games on Wilco’s Sierra playthrough list. I’m sure his current GK3 attempt would benefit greatly.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 08 January 2017 07:23 PM

Anyone tried this procedure with Black Dahlia?

He uses DXWnd
https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compatibility-tools/using-dxwnd/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

I have tried this and had zero success. I think one of the reasons is that this game had a major patch, partially to correct the rune puzzle problem. And there is no way to apply the patch using this system. I would love to play this game again, but I have not found a way to do it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Somebody needs to tally the votes and keep track of the nominations. I’ve done it before and don’t mind doing it again. Now, I also read the voting threads that took place in my absence from the forums and… OMG! If the petty arguments that broke out after every tie weren’t so damaging to the community here, they’d be hilarious. One’s gotta be crazy to want to count votes in here.

So I will propose a very simple tie-breaking format. The one tallying the votes only casts a vote (the decisive vote) in case of a tie (presumably, after hearing arguments from all sides). All possible tie-breaking procedures have their flaws. (Take it from me: I have a professional interest in these things.) The main flaw in this one is the disenfranchisement of the tally-keeper. Personally, I am willing to pay that price if that would produce less acrimony.

Also, keep in mind that ties are ex-ante quite unlikely.

So, until someone objects:

Kathy Rain (3): chrissie, Mikekelly, rtrooney*
Hotel Dusk (1): Mikekelly

rtrooney - 08 January 2017 08:07 PM

I might be interested in Kathy Rain as well. Although from what I’ve read here on the forum when the game first came out there was a question as the whether this was an adventure game or an immersive video with options. I would risk $15 US to find out.

Are you thinking of Heavy Rain, rtrooney?

Also, neither of these games is viable without a PT leader so step up if you want to lead a game: one of these or any other.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You are correct. I was thinking Heavy Rain, which is a platformer which I can’t play anyway. So my vote for Kathy Rain stands.

Not that it makes any difference in procedure, but this was what my policy was when I did the Casual Community Playthrough:

We will continue the standard process. Nominations and voting close on either September 15 or if we go three straight days with no new posts. If there is a tie, everyone, including those who didn’t vote, is eligible to cast one vote for one of the tied games. Tie-break voting will last five days. If there is still a tie, the person running the voting process, (me in this case,) will break the tie.

The only difference I see is that there is no tie-breaker vote. Which is fine by me. Of course, per Roberts Rules, if you are going to be the tie breaker, you can’t also vote for a game. Which again is fine by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TerminusEst - 08 January 2017 08:37 PM

petty arguments - damaging - hilarious - crazy - acrimony.

So I will propose a very simple tie-breaking format.

Why on earth would we need a new “proposal” (not really a proposal, is it) for a new “solution” to a potential problem. Just look at what YOU are doing right now: Bringing up the past for now good reason and showering us with your contempt.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Karlok - 08 January 2017 08:59 PM

Why on earth would we need a new “proposal” (not really a proposal, is it) for a new “solution” to a potential problem. Just look at what YOU are doing right now: Bringing up the past for now good reason and showering us with your contempt.

I do mean it as a proposal. The tie-breaking rule has been a huge sticking point in the past and it pays to resolve it before it becomes an issue. If someone else wants to tally the count, that’s more than OK by me.

No contempt meant. I certainly do not feel any towards anyone here.

Bringing up the past in the hope that we avoid repeating it.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TerminusEst - 08 January 2017 09:29 PM

For Pete’s sake, don’t you even see that you ARE repeating it? New proposals, new rules, whatever for??

I will be sensible and stop reading this thread.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TerminusEst - 08 January 2017 09:29 PM

I think the quote you are looking for is “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” by George Santayana. Although a version of the quote has also been attributed to Churchill. Both are eloquent statements of fact.

We can do one of two things. One, someone will step up and say I will run the thankless task of managing the vote according to the previously agreed upon rules. Or, two, we say that if TE is stupid enough to put himself in the cross-hairs for this playthrough, and in doing so he wants to change one rule, eliminating the tie-break vote for THIS PLAYTHROUGH ONLY, I’m OK with that.

Others may not be. But I would rather have a playthrough than spend another two months arguing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rtrooney - 08 January 2017 10:27 PM

We can do one of two things. One, someone will step up and say I will run the thankless task of managing the vote according to the previously agreed upon rules. Or, two, we say that if TE is stupid enough to put himself in the cross-hairs for this playthrough, and in doing so he wants to change one rule, eliminating the tie-break vote for THIS PLAYTHROUGH ONLY, I’m OK with that.

I was not aware that a tie-breaking rule reached consensus approval. That was not the impression I got from reading the history of this thread and others before it. I wouldn’t have volunteered for the task had I known that. I stepped up only because I felt that, as rtrooney said, someone had to volunteer for the hot seat.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sign me up for Kathy Rain and Hotel Dusk. I would love to play black dhalia, but like rtooney and chrissie, i ran into trouble before trying to get it to run. Now that I have windows 10 64 bit, it’s probably an even more difficult task.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 08 January 2017 08:57 PM

You are correct. I was thinking Heavy Rain, which is a platformer which I can’t play anyway. So my vote for Kathy Rain stands.

Not that it makes any difference in procedure, but this was what my policy was when I did the Casual Community Playthrough:

We will continue the standard process. Nominations and voting close on either September 15 or if we go three straight days with no new posts. If there is a tie, everyone, including those who didn’t vote, is eligible to cast one vote for one of the tied games. Tie-break voting will last five days. If there is still a tie, the person running the voting process, (me in this case,) will break the tie.

The only difference I see is that there is no tie-breaker vote. Which is fine by me. Of course, per Roberts Rules, if you are going to be the tie breaker, you can’t also vote for a game. Which again is fine by me.

Heavy Rain is on Playstation only and it is a Telltale like game. More acurately, Telltale games are like Heavy Rain because they came later and copied the formula of Heavy Rain.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

As someone who got a bit burned from the bickering last time, I will vote for games I’d like to play and not care one wit about how the voting process is organized. Not going down that road again…. In case of a tie, I will refrain from posting on the thread until the tie is decided by whatever means… Good luck TerminusEst Smile

I’d like to vote for Blade Runner.
Kathy rain is a good game (except that the ending brings more questions than answers) but I finished it last month so not going to vote for it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m trying to kickstart my sense of adventure gaming again (haven’t really played one in over a year, apart from two casual CPTs), so I’d prefer to do “my own thing” for a couple of weeks, hence I won’t be joining.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Kathy Rain (4): chrissie, Mikekelly, rtrooney, SoccerDude28
Hotel Dusk (2): Mikekelly, SoccerDude28
Blade Runner (1): giom

giom - 10 January 2017 05:41 AM

Good luck TerminusEst Smile

Thanks, giom. Counting should not be such a fraught job. We all mastered it at an early age, after all.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Mikekelly - 26 June 2016 11:19 AM

Kathy Rain - Mike Kelly leader

Mikekelly - 30 June 2016 06:35 AM

Put me in for Hotel Dusk as the leader.

Mikekelly, are you interested in leading either of these if they get voted in?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top