• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 03 July 2016 04:04 PM
wilco - 03 July 2016 03:52 PM

I’m using this Dosbox with Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.

Have you already tested it?

Yes. Works great

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

crabapple - 03 July 2016 04:36 PM

I vote for Black Dahlia.
I have no problem with wilco leading the CPT.
My memory of Black Dahlia is that it was very linear, and it went from CD1 to CD2 to CD3 etc. without a lot of swapping back and forth between CD’s. So unless I’m misremembering, it’s probably not as difficult to direct a playthrough of Black Dahlia as a more non-linear game.

That’s right. Glad you mentioned it. No annoying diskswapping. 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 03 July 2016 04:52 PM
rtrooney - 03 July 2016 04:04 PM

I’m using this Dosbox with Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.

Have you already tested it?

Yes. Works great

I’m hoping it works equally as well for Win7-64. I’m also hoping that you made notes of the changes you made, will post them for the rest of us to try.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 03 July 2016 01:58 PM

I’m interested Wilco in that if you’re going to play the game anyway on what system & how? Just to add that I know that you’ve already posted possibilities with patches but is that the way you are going? I’d really like to play the game!  Smile

I’m using this. I have Windows 10

Wilco - 03 July 2016 11:27 AM

Do you have 64 or 32 bit. Lots of the problems with old games I have noticed stem from the fact that they are built for 32 bit.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

crabapple - 03 July 2016 04:36 PM

I vote for Black Dahlia.
I have no problem with wilco leading the CPT.
My memory of Black Dahlia is that it was very linear, and it went from CD1 to CD2 to CD3 etc. without a lot of swapping back and forth between CD’s. So unless I’m misremembering, it’s probably not as difficult to direct a playthrough of Black Dahlia as a more non-linear game.

Don’t get me wrong crabapple, I have absolutely no problem with Wilco leading the CPT of BD. I was actually thinking of him and how his enjoyment of the game could well be lessened because, whilst it is fairly linear and only the places you have things to do are shown, it isn’t the easiest game in the world. It is one of the very few games that I know of that you really do have to think like an investigator. Whilst the clues are there you really have to find them and work out their relevance and how to use them. For a first time player, as Wilco will be, I think they’d lose a lot from the game if they were having to take charge of the play-through as well.
If Wilco feels otherwise then fair play and I most assuredly wouldn’t have any worries, complaints, paranoid delusions Grin about that.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 03 July 2016 08:02 PM

I’m hoping it works equally as well for Win7-64. I’m also hoping that you made notes of the changes you made, will post them for the rest of us to try.

I didn’t make any changes, just didn’t install all the stuff at the end, just the video and audo drivers, DirectX and something to read cd images. Half the time I didn’t even know what I was doing, just following the steps. I installed Windows 98. Should work in Windows 7

The method Karlok and crabaple talked about seems a lot more simpler, if that works it’s much better.

SoccerDude28 - 04 July 2016 03:01 AM

Do you have 64 or 32 bit. Lots of the problems with old games I have noticed stem from the fact that they are built for 32 bit.

64 bit.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

My old WIN95 PC has died Frown
Booted it up to be told that their was no disc controller. On the good side though I discovered my Noctropolis CD in the optical drive Thumbs Up
Mind you, the PC was a Compaq DeskPro 4000 which makes it about 20 years old so I can’t complain.

I’ve got it running though on an old XP machine but a hint for anyone else going to take this route.

You have to run the installation file with WIN95 compatibility set (right click file, choose properties, choose the compatibility tab and set Windows 95) and it installs fine apart from failing to install DirectX 5. Just go to the DirectX folder on the CD and do as per installation file. Once installed make sure you run the patch(which can be found here: http://mysterymanor.net/Atticsaves/index.php?act=view&id=35 ), which also has to be run under compatibility mode, otherwise you’ll have sound problems and you’ll not be able to solve the rune puzzle unless you get it right the very first time Grin I thought this patch was just to allow it to run under XP but my memory was obviously playing me up. Finally change the run BD file to compatibility mode otherwise the game will crash the moment you get into Jim Pearson’s office. After that you’re in business Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

No sign of Iznogood, so I’m taking over the tallying. If Iznogood objects, he is welcome to continue doing the job.

Nominees and Votes:

7: Dreamfall Chapters
- Iznogood (leader), Oscar, Chrissie, Noddy, Advie, Sefir, giom

5: Black Dahlia
- wilco (leader), Karlok, diego, crabapple, Sefir (tentative votes not included)

3: Spycraft
- Diego (leader), Oscar, Karlok

3: Goetia
- Chrissie, Karlok, Sefir

2: Kathy Rain
- Mikekelly (leader), Chrissie

2: Fran Bow
- Mikekelly (leader), Iznogood

2: Hotel Dusk
- Mikekelly (leader), Karlok

1: Zero Effect 3
- Mikekelly (leader)

1: Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick
- Oscar

Anybody is free to nominate or vote for whatever game they would like to play as the next community playthrough, just post the name of the game in this thread.

The voting will run until 11 July. If there is a tie at the end, a new vote will start between the tied games as agree upon in this thread.

EDIT: Updated

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I vote for Dreamfall Chapters, Black Dahlia amd Goetia.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A TIE!! AHA! WHAT NOW, KARLOFF?!! Tongue

edit: no, it’s not

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am NOT voting for Dreamfall Chapters. Period.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m voting for Dreamfall Chapters

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 04 July 2016 04:31 PM

A TIE!! AHA! WHAT NOW, KARLOFF?!! Tongue

edit: no, it’s not

LOL! I’d love to see you appointed as the Official Tiebreaker, diego. You’d be perfect for the job. But unfortunately that’s against the rules.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Jabod - 03 July 2016 11:27 AM
Noddy - 03 July 2016 07:09 AM

If there’s a patch for XP then what about installing in XP Mode for Win7? Need to have Pro or above to get though.

I tried that about 3 years ago Noddy. Installed ok and would start but wouldn’t play the video properly (black box) and I couldn’t get sound at all. The game itself worked fine, i.e. I could investigate, look, pick up, etc. This doesn’t mean to say that others couldn’t get it working of course Smile
I’m assuming the patch is still out there but I know I’ve still got a copy (and no doubt Tim (rtrooney version) and Karlok do as well) which I’ll cheerfully send out to anyone that wishes it.

Thanks Jabod. Just want to check which version of Win7 you tried this under, 32 or 64bit?

As SoccerDude points out there can be issues relating to 64bit, and XP Mode will be the same version as the parent Win7.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Noddy - 05 July 2016 05:37 AM
Jabod - 03 July 2016 11:27 AM
Noddy - 03 July 2016 07:09 AM

If there’s a patch for XP then what about installing in XP Mode for Win7? Need to have Pro or above to get though.

I tried that about 3 years ago Noddy. Installed ok and would start but wouldn’t play the video properly (black box) and I couldn’t get sound at all. The game itself worked fine, i.e. I could investigate, look, pick up, etc. This doesn’t mean to say that others couldn’t get it working of course Smile
I’m assuming the patch is still out there but I know I’ve still got a copy (and no doubt Tim (rtrooney version) and Karlok do as well) which I’ll cheerfully send out to anyone that wishes it.

Thanks Jabod. Just want to check which version of Win7 you tried this under, 32 or 64bit?

As SoccerDude points out there can be issues relating to 64bit, and XP Mode will be the same version as the parent Win7.

Interesting question Noddy but, I’m afraid, I can’t answer it definitively as I don’t remember. I suspect it would have been 64 bit though.
What I also need to add now is that, following setting up BD on an XP machine (see post above) I was obviously mistaken saying that the patch was to allow the game to run under XP. It wasn’t it was a general, and much needed, fix patch. But going through that exercise it makes me wonder if I didn’t set the game’s exe file to WIN95 compatibility. The PC I’ve got currently running Windows 7 is on Home Premium. On checking my various spare licences I find I do have a copy of 64 bit 7 Pro available so I think I’ll wipe that PC and rebuild it accordingly and we’ll see what happens. Be an interesting exercise whatever the outcome Smile

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top