• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m in for Black Dahlia.

A word of warning to those who get it working: BD crashed a dozen or more times on my win98 computer when I played it many years ago. Annoying, but I could resume the game exactly where I’d left off, so no major problem.

EDIT: Someone got BD running on win10 with a program called DXWnd.

Over my head, I wouldn’t dare experiment with options I don’t understand. But you can copy his settings and see if it works.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In for Black Dahlia. FMV anytime, baby.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Feh, I’d hoped that after that discussion when we codified the rules and asked for community input, there wouldn’t be any more disputes and arguing about the CPT.

Come on guys! It’s not like it’s an important vote that will change the course of your life or condemn your country to economic oblivion like Brexit… We’re just having fun, choosing games so that we can all play them together and enjoy them. No point in Bickering!

Iznogood, I admire that you’re always up to lead an another CPT vote even with all this arguing. It’s hard and unrewarding work.

I vote for Dreamfall chapters now that it’s finally finished. I’ve only payed the first episode so far (which I really liked) but waited before playing the rest.

Oh and Oscar, regarding miscounting votes. Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to simple human error. From what I’ve seen of Iznogood since I’ve joined this forum, he’s never been less than scrupulously honest so I don’t see how you could accuse him of miscounting votes for his own interest.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 03 July 2016 03:16 AM

Iznogood, I admire that you’re always up to lead an another CPT vote even with all this arguing. It’s hard and unrewarding work.

Hard? We’re talking about counting votes from the few people who are still interested in CPs. Don’t make me laugh. But if Izsogood and Sefir find it so unrewarding, I’ll do it next time. I’ve done a year of 5 AGSotD pics a week, I’m used to unrewarding jobs. Hey, I’ll even take over now. Just say the word, Izsogood!

There. Settled.

Oh and Oscar, regarding miscounting votes. Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to simple human error. From what I’ve seen of Iznogood since I’ve joined this forum, he’s never been less than scrupulously honest so I don’t see how you could accuse him of miscounting votes for his own interest.

You’re twisting his words. Some people here are doing this a lot, it’s a form of dishonesty, and it always makes me angry. You should read Oscar’s post again. (That doesn’t mean I agree with him.)

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 03 July 2016 04:32 AM

Hard? We’re talking about counting votes from the few people who are still interested in CPs. Don’t make me laugh. But if Izsogood and Sefir find it so unrewarding, I’ll do it next time. I’ve done a year of 5 AGSotD pics a week, I’m used to unrewarding jobs. Hey, I’ll even take over now. Just say the word, Izsogood!

And at the end of the day, we all admitted that you did indeed a very good job in the AGSotD. No one kept nagging all the time, struggling to find whatever trivial reason to complain/hurt/insult you or the work you’ve done, no matter how difficult that said work was. However, this is exactly what is happening for the past 5-6 votings at least. You said you stopped reading this post. I almost quit this forums for the very same reason. Unfortunately, some things never change.

EDIT: I also believe that Oscar probably meant no harm, but complaining for a harmless fact that happened in almost every previous voting still adds fuel to the fire. Meh

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m glad you’re back, Sefir. Yes, I am. But I’m not going to discuss this subject with you again.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

You’re twisting his words. Some people here are doing this a lot, it’s a form of dishonesty, and it always makes me angry. You should read Oscar’s post again. (That doesn’t mean I agree with him.)

Don’t really want to add fuel to the fire but he did say “you’re now trying to eliminate competitors and miscounting votes” which sounds like an accusation more than anything else even with the qualifying he did.

Out of topic, I like your weekly avatar changes Karlok, it’s fun seeing which new avatars you’ll have each week and even got me to get The Path Smile

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

wilco - 02 July 2016 05:00 PM

I don’t know of any way to make it work easily on Win7/10. There is a patch to play it on XP al least
I’ve read VirtualPC with Win95/98 works. I’m using this Dosbox witn Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.
Maybe there’s a simpler way

If there’s a patch for XP then what about installing in XP Mode for Win7? Need to have Pro or above to get though.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

[deleted]

PS: I have enough female playable characters for the next two years. Smile

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Noddy - 03 July 2016 07:09 AM
wilco - 02 July 2016 05:00 PM

I don’t know of any way to make it work easily on Win7/10. There is a patch to play it on XP al least
I’ve read VirtualPC with Win95/98 works. I’m using this Dosbox witn Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.
Maybe there’s a simpler way

If there’s a patch for XP then what about installing in XP Mode for Win7? Need to have Pro or above to get though.

I tried that about 3 years ago Noddy. Installed ok and would start but wouldn’t play the video properly (black box) and I couldn’t get sound at all. The game itself worked fine, i.e. I could investigate, look, pick up, etc. This doesn’t mean to say that others couldn’t get it working of course Smile
I’m assuming the patch is still out there but I know I’ve still got a copy (and no doubt Tim (rtrooney version) and Karlok do as well) which I’ll cheerfully send out to anyone that wishes it.

wilco - 02 July 2016 04:09 PM

I’d like to nominate Black Dahlia.

I’m going to play it after I’m finished with Zero Time Dilemma so might as well but it up for voting to see if the community is interested. I can lead it but I never played it so couldn’t really tell much about the game story so would only set time frame (starting 15 July and finishing 8 August). Maybe other members could give hints and help.

With absolutely no disrespect to you whatsoever Wilco I really do think that it needs a leader (no, I’m not volunteering) that’s played it before. As has been said before it’s a very difficult game and also pretty long (and that’s without taking time to resolve the puzzles. There’s a puzzle box that you need to open and it took me two days and loads of notes to sort that one out. I did type up the answer though Smile ) and as a first-time player you may find yourself needing a walkthrough more often than you would like just to be able keep control. As to having backup support from another player(s) that could work and I might even offer to do that for you as well. I’m not voting for BD directly because, as yet, I’ve never completed a CPT that I’ve voted for so think it unfair to do so. I can see me digging out my WIN95 PC though and loading BD (here’s hoping everything still works).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jabod - 03 July 2016 11:27 AM

With absolutely no disrespect to you whatsoever Wilco I really do think that it needs a leader (no, I’m not volunteering) that’s played it before. As has been said before it’s a very difficult game and also pretty long (and that’s without taking time to resolve the puzzles. There’s a puzzle box that you need to open and it took me two days and loads of notes to sort that one out. I did type up the answer though Smile ) and as a first-time player you may find yourself needing a walkthrough more often than you would like just to be able keep control. As to having backup support from another player(s) that could work and I might even offer to do that for you as well. I’m not voting for BD directly because, as yet, I’ve never completed a CPT that I’ve voted for so think it unfair to do so. I can see me digging out my WIN95 PC though and loading BD (here’s hoping everything still works).

No worries, it’a good point. Should have said in the first post, if someone that knows the game wants to lead I would step down with no problem.
That said, I put it up for voting because I’m going to play whether it wins or not and some members expressed interest in playing it in other places so I think it should be up for voting. Also the only thing i know about it is that it long and difficult so I don’t think breaking a playthrough in stages would do it any good, probably would just make people give up (me included) because it might lead to lose track of everything. That’s why I proposed 3 weeks to play and discuss the game in community, no more set dates.
Now since the game is hard to play in modern systems I think the sensible thing is to vote only if sure the game will play, at the risk of most people abandoning the playthrough at the beginning.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m interested Wilco in that if you’re going to play the game anyway on what system & how? Just to add that I know that you’ve already posted possibilities with patches but is that the way you are going? I’d really like to play the game!  Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 03 July 2016 01:58 PM

I’m interested Wilco in that if you’re going to play the game anyway on what system & how? Just to add that I know that you’ve already posted possibilities with patches but is that the way you are going? I’d really like to play the game!  Smile

I’m using this. I have Windows 10

Wilco - 03 July 2016 11:27 AM

I’m using this Dosbox with Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 03 July 2016 03:52 PM

I’m using this Dosbox with Windows install but it takes a bit of time to set it up.

Have you already tested it?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I vote for Black Dahlia.
I have no problem with wilco leading the CPT.
My memory of Black Dahlia is that it was very linear, and it went from CD1 to CD2 to CD3 etc. without a lot of swapping back and forth between CD’s. So unless I’m misremembering, it’s probably not as difficult to direct a playthrough of Black Dahlia as a more non-linear game.

Anyone using a setup with Windows 95/98 would also have to install the Black Dahlia v1.10 patch from around the time the game was made. This patch is available at patches-scrolls.de as bdpatch.zip (and unzips to a file named bdpatch.exe from March 1998)

This is the description of the v1.10 patch that Google found (translated from Spanish)

Black Dahlia v1.10 Update
This patch fixes the following errors:

Error unsupported RGB mode.
    Random Crashes (associated with setting the music volume to zero).
    Error in the puzzle Rune (gem). Note: type the word “reset” during the
puzzle interface if it is currently (broken?) “Broken”.
    Problems with people who do not return objects.
    Error loading file to restore game (after CD 6).
    Full support of subtitles. To activate, edit the BD.ini file in the
directory where you installed the game. In the [Options] section, modify the
line: “subtitles = 0” by “subtitles = 1”.

Karlok’s suggestion of DXWnd might be the easiest to use—if it works for you.

You’d probably need to install the old v1.10 patch, since this doesn’t seem to be included in DXWnd. DXWnd appears to work similar to compatibility mode, only changing what happens when you run a game you configured inside of it, but not affecting the rest of the computer. Among other things, DXWnd provides an easy way to set affinity to a single processor. According to Inferno, Black Dahlia was one of the games negatively affected by hyperthreading and multiple processors.

As far as I can tell, if you are using XP and use the XP patch, you don’t need the v1.10 patch, but I’m not sure.
The XP patch looks like it may be more an “installer” than a “patch”

This is the description (Google translated from Spanish) of the XP patch (aka the NoCD No-Interlace XP patch)

Description Installer No-CD No-interlace XP

DETAILED DESCRIPTION installer, extracted from the onscreen instructions:

This installer installs Black Dahlia to your hard drive, eliminating the
change of discs, improves video quality and resolves the problems of rotation,
graphics and fatal errors.

Installation Steps:

Copy all files to the hard disk.
  Eliminates scan lines (scanlines) in the new monitors. Eliminates scan lines
(scanlines) video sequences. With this, the videos are much clearer in the new
flat screen monitors. This can not be undone!
  Reduces the rotation speed too fast mouse. In modern machines, there are
scenes that turn too fast and cause problems and errors graphics. This patch
solves this problem. You can undo if you want.
  Eliminates problems and errors graphics.
  Solves the fatal errors too fast processors. In multicore processors, Black
Dahlia tends to crack suddenly often. If this happens on your PC, it is
recommended to fix this. You can undo this later.

I found the XP patch available at adventure-treff, which I think is a more trustworthy website than some others Google found.
http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14685

At one time the XP patch was hosted at filefront, but filefront seems to be gone now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top