• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge!  (Gabriel Knight 2)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, that was a cakewalk after the Chapter IV. Easiest chapter, also. But pretty intense, most “cinematic” and movie-like so far.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Challenge completed. Finished the game today. The final chapter was awesome, not really a bad thing to say about it.
- Setting up stuff with Grace, gettign the opera, prepping up the trap, even the weird boiler stuff had a purpose by the end
- That great opera cutscene! I knew there would be one since it was in the movie cutscene list but I was not expecting it to be so good. Great stuff the music and just watching Gabriel just being a disaster Dean is better at comedy Smile This and the final stuff completely justified the FMV and having to suffer through the bad acting in some places.
- I also enjoyed the last puzzle which is pretty rare in adventures.

Karlok - 14 January 2016 06:21 PM

No, no… what’s all this about not being a fan of the supernatural? You think werewolves are NOT supernatural?? When Gabe turns into a werewolf, the communication with fellow werewolf Ludwig of course gets much easier. I love how he shows Gabe what has to be done.

Alright, I concede Smile Looking back now it does like the final help from Ludwig setting up the finale and the Van Glower downfall with the original plan. And Gracie getting to the opera only by investigation would probably make even less sense since it was lost for over a century

Karlok - 13 January 2016 05:56 AM

Wilco, when yo’ve finished the game, be sure to watch the prologue again. Smile

Watched it, just to be clear that was kid Van Glower watching his dad Van Rolick/Black Wolf being burned? The real tragic character…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 14 January 2016 06:38 PM
wilco - 13 January 2016 11:55 AM

Today I dreamt Chapter 6 was played in the past controlling Ludwig…

Do you hear that, Jane?! A prequel! Kickstarter!

Better than Moebius!

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

diego - 13 January 2016 05:56 PM

I was inspired by that music, and just imagined the continuation… and did a short cover on a guitar.

That’s lovely, diego!

wilco - 13 January 2016 11:55 AM

Today I dreamt Chapter 6 was played in the past controlling Ludwig…

Your dreaming mind has good design instincts… Smile

Due to filming expenses and the large file sizes involved, the eight-chapter game Jensen originally envisioned had to be trimmed to six. Some segments intended to be playable, such as a flashback during which the player would have controlled King Ludwig, were shown in long cutscenes instead. (GamesTM)

I’ve read that the Ludwig sequence involved hiding the opera, though at the moment I’m having a hard time finding a more direct source to confirm that than Wikipedia. (The Gamasutra article that Wikipedia cites doesn’t actually include that detail.)

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

diego - 14 January 2016 09:24 PM

Well, that was a cakewalk after the Chapter IV. Easiest chapter, also. But pretty intense, most “cinematic” and movie-like so far.

Did you have no trouble at all during the chasing Von Zell to the chasm sequence? I found it rather tricky during my first playthrough, as you had to figure out the map of the forest and try out how to steer Von Zell. He wouldn’t always react how I expected. I must have been killed many many times there

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 14 January 2016 09:24 PM

Challenge completed. Finished the game today. The final chapter was awesome, not really a bad thing to say about it.

The opera and the music are marvelous. Von Glower scared and sweating, looking trapped, with dear Detta at this side. Smile

Karlok - 13 January 2016 05:56 AM

Wilco, when yo’ve finished the game, be sure to watch the prologue again. Smile

Watched it, just to be clear that was kid Van Glower watching his dad Van Rolick/Black Wolf being burned? The real tragic character…

I thought so too at first, but that can’t be true. (You can’t understand the prologue until you’ve finished the game, that’s why I said you should watch it again.) He can’t be watching his father burn to death, who didn’t live in Rittersberg and was taken there after his capture. At least, that’s what Grace discovers in chapter 2. The major tells her that the pursuers were going after Von Ralick’s family, so the boy must be watching flames at his own home before they flee. During the community playthrough it was argued that it was his mother who set fire to their home, not the pursuers. That’s possible, I suppose. Maybe Jane just wanted to show us Von Glower twice through flames, as a boy and when he dies, and didn’t really care about the details. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

subbi - 15 January 2016 03:16 AM
diego - 14 January 2016 09:24 PM

Did you have no trouble at all during the chasing Von Zell to the chasm sequence? I found it rather tricky during my first playthrough, as you had to figure out the map of the forest and try out how to steer Von Zell. He wouldn’t always react how I expected. I must have been killed many many times there

Nah, not much. Yeah, I died a couple of times, but had pretty clear idea what to do, and I think I got lucky a little in the way the wolf behaved (it was going by the shortest route to the ravine). Yes, his movement is randomized.

The puzzle from the 4th Chapter - using book on the phone remains the hardest IMO, whoever solved that without help has my full admiration. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I think I got that puzzle right by pure luck. If I remember correctly the game does tell you that you need the phone at some point or at least gives you a hint that something is missing….I’m not exactly sure which…..but Grace’s inventory is fairly limited, so I tried each and every item on the phone until I got it right. Then once the cutscene appears, you suddenly understand and it makes sense Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

subbi - 15 January 2016 07:36 AM

I think I got that puzzle right by pure luck. If I remember correctly the game does tell you that you need the phone at some point or at least gives you a hint that something is missing….I’m not exactly sure which…..but Grace’s inventory is fairly limited, so I tried each and every item on the phone until I got it right. Then once the cutscene appears, you suddenly understand and it makes sense Laughing

Yeah, if I hadn’t seen it in the Let’s Play video on Youtube, I think that would also be the way how I solved it (if ever). But I’m also sort of mad at myself for being lazy to go over the documents and dialogues, because, even though the puzzle is not always solved how the designers imagined it, this is one of best examples I can think of a good puzzle design. Like I explained earlier first in the game, you get the book, pay or pay not attention to the author’s name, and then later you talk with the Ludwig’s expert who also mentions that name (it did sound familiar to me, and it struck me as unusual that Grace doesn’t ask for his contact, or that Ludwig’s expert himself never reached him as wilco mentioned). But the game doesn’t make connection, it’s you who have to do it (OR solve the puzzle by pure chance Grin ).

Status report - got the lost OPERA! The puzzle where you have to wait for the guard to leave is great (earlier in the game the guards’ movement was randomized, and now the game tries to trick you with the guard in the “blue” room whenever you first enter it). I’m in the time race now! How appropriate, I know there’re some timed sequences awaiting me.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Caliburn - 14 January 2016 09:48 PM

I’ve read that the Ludwig sequence involved hiding the opera, though at the moment I’m having a hard time finding a more direct source to confirm that than Wikipedia. (The Gamasutra article that Wikipedia cites doesn’t actually include that detail.)

It’s the only part of that long cut-scene that actually makes sense to turn into a gameplay segment.
I’m kind of surprised they didn’t, but because it seems to me you’d actually save on file size, by trimming down the length of the cutscene and add a short gameplay segment to hide the opera. Most of the art assets would have been there already. Filming the sequence requires at least the same assets and seems much more costly to me. (and ending up with a much larger filesize, especially in 1996, when they couldn’t compress long video’s much without sacrifice on quality)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Challenge is officially over. I’m still at the opera, finding a proper seat for our dear friend… and will be finishing the game probably later today because I do remember the ending puzzle. I did fail at my own challenge, but if anything, it forced me to replay the game and cemented it as one of the best, if not the best game I’ve ever played.

Thank you everyone for your comments, and a special thanks to my Schattenjäger comrades - br305893, wilco and Karlok who made this run much more interesting, with their insightful comments, and made me feel better while playing it. Karlok is to open a new challenge.

A question: Did anyone remembered the urn? Grin That might have been a good puzzle. Like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Choose wisely!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m sorry that I didn’t have time to take part diego but having played the game twice I followed the thread with interest which is a nice one to refer to as & when I get time to play the game again.  Smile

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

That puzzle near the end where Gabriel is trying to lead Von Glower to the boiler was so hard for me. I got very turned around since a lot of the rooms looked the same, and the fact that it was timed just made it worse. I had to use a walkthrough for that part. Excited to hear what game Karlok picks!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 14 January 2016 09:48 PM

Your dreaming mind has good design instincts… Smile

Due to filming expenses and the large file sizes involved, the eight-chapter game Jensen originally envisioned had to be trimmed to six. Some segments intended to be playable, such as a flashback during which the player would have controlled King Ludwig, were shown in long cutscenes instead. (GamesTM)

Oh wow, someone is trying to send me messages… Ludwi’g Nights has to happen now! (Now that I think about it, Jane Jensen could make a kickstarter game about Ludwig without any problems with licenses and rights mmm… Smile )

Karlok - 15 January 2016 03:32 AM

I thought so too at first, but that can’t be true. (You can’t understand the prologue until you’ve finished the game, that’s why I said you should watch it again.) He can’t be watching his father burn to death, who didn’t live in Rittersberg and was taken there after his capture. At least, that’s what Grace discovers in chapter 2. The major tells her that the pursuers were going after Von Ralick’s family, so the boy must be watching flames at his own home before they flee. During the community playthrough it was argued that it was his mother who set fire to their home, not the pursuers. That’s possible, I suppose. Maybe Jane just wanted to show us Von Glower twice through flames, as a boy and when he dies, and didn’t really care about the details. Smile

Watched another time now, that does make more sense. The mother burning down the house thing seems a bit forced but I guess it could be.

Fantasysci5 - 15 January 2016 03:27 PM

That puzzle near the end where Gabriel is trying to lead Von Glower to the boiler was so hard for me. I got very turned around since a lot of the rooms looked the same, and the fact that it was timed just made it worse. I had to use a walkthrough for that part. Excited to hear what game Karlok picks!

Is it really timed? I thought that as long as you go straight to close the doors in the exit, you could have all the time in the world to trap Von Glower in the boiler. I did die a lot of times because at first I was trying to trap him in a single room instead of pushing him to the boiler… The timing of pushing the wolf inside the boiler was a bit tricky

And thanks diego for the challenge, it was a lot of fun and one less game in the pile of shame! Smile (only missing GK3 from the trilogy now!)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve been thinking very hard what the next challenge should be. Went from 16 candidates to two: Fate of Atlantis or The Wolf Among Us. My heart wants to replay TWAU, but my mind tells me FoA is the more sensible choice. I’ve forgotten so much and it’s high time I tried the unplayed path(s).

Any takers? If there are, I’ll start a new challenge thread.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top