• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2016 06:52 PM

But I think it would be a good idea to have some new contributors waiting in the wings.

I would be open to starting a retro AGSOTD series for one day a week, but only if there is interest in such a thing. From what I’ve seen there aren’t very many people willing to take a look at older games unless they’re Lucasarts or Sierra. I hope I’m wrong. AGSOTD should be about discovering interesting games, not retreading over our favorites again and again.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And one is heard from! Thanks Oscar. As I thought I said, if someone takes over a day, it is their’s to do with it what they want

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I know, but it’s no good doing a theme no one wants. There have been complaints in the past. I really like diego’s Hybrid Tuesday because they are games I haven’t heard about. But if no one wants to know about older games, there’s not much point me doing a retro theme. I notice there is not much interest in older games in the CP voting thread. Is that due to unavailability or disinterest?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - You can do whatever you want. That’s the magic of it. Don’t you remember the thought of casual games being represented was an anathema to some? Worked out quite well by my thinking. Don’t pre-judge what you want to do based on what you thnk other people will think

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2016-01-21

PM

Oscar why not a text adventure scene of the day? Huh?  Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 1667

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Oscar - 22 April 2016 07:21 PM
rtrooney - 22 April 2016 06:52 PM

But I think it would be a good idea to have some new contributors waiting in the wings.

I would be open to starting a retro AGSOTD series for one day a week, but only if there is interest in such a thing. From what I’ve seen there aren’t very many people willing to take a look at older games unless they’re Lucasarts or Sierra. I hope I’m wrong. AGSOTD should be about discovering interesting games, not retreading over our favorites again and again.

That sounds great, Oscar! I always love to look at some forgotten or more obscure games. I think that even those games deserve a little attention from us! There is really no need to post same (famous) stuff all the time. Most of these older games are more appealing to me than all those ugly 3D games released around year 2000. I’m looking forward to this retro stuff! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 15 April 2016 09:56 PM

That “contract” runs out on May 31.

When I started this I said that I would do it as long as I thought it was fun, and I still find it to be fun (though also hard work), so I have no plans on stopping by the end of May.

I might however at least from time to time, drop the puzzle theme, as it has also turned into a bit of a straitjacket, and there are some games that I would also like to feature that doesn’t fit into this format.

I would be open to starting a retro AGSOTD series for one day a week, but only if there is interest in such a thing.

Sure I would be interested in that.
But by interest, you shouldn’t expect a lot of comments or vivid discussions, most people including myself, will in my experience read the post but only very rarely post any comments.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Iznogood - 23 April 2016 04:47 AM
rtrooney - 15 April 2016 09:56 PM

That “contract” runs out on May 31.

I might however at least from time to time, drop the puzzle theme, as it has also turned into a bit of a straitjacket, and there are some games that I would also like to feature that doesn’t fit into this format.

I’ll be happy to continue reading your game scene of the day. I really loved the riddle you gave us once from The Samaritan Paradox, it was really a lot of fun trying to all workout the riddle.

I would be open to starting a retro AGSOTD series for one day a week, but only if there is interest in such a thing.

Sure I would be interested in that.
But by interest, you shouldn’t expect a lot of comments or vivid discussions, most people including myself, will in my experience read the post but only very rarely post any comments.

I’d love to read that too but, yes, while I read every single game of the day posts, I tend not to post if I don’t think I have anything to say.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 23 April 2016 04:47 AM

When I started this I said that I would do it as long as I thought it was fun, and I still find it to be fun (though also hard work), so I have no plans on stopping by the end of May.

I should probably clarify my position as well. I don’t necessarily want to step down either. But I would really like to share the workload with somebody. With other things going on, cutting back to every other week would be a godsend. And the other 26 weeks needn’t be a continuation of Casual Friday. It could be another topic altogether.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney, I could do every other week on a Friday.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If you want to share Retro Friday with Casual Friday, that would be fantastic!  Thumbs Up

That seems to take care of Wednesday and Friday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Anybody else planning to continue?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, I haven’t really thought about it yet to be honest. If anyone wants to take over Mondays or share them (freeware or otherwise) I’d be up for it. If no-one does then I could probably try and carry on. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The current AGSOTD year is coming to an end but it’s great in that there’s the core group of players that have expressed that they would like to continue : Intense Degree, rtrooney, Iznogood & wilco, + Oscar has expressed a desire to contribute to an alternative Friday with retro-games between Tim’s CG contributions.
I would dearly love to offer my services but can’t commit this year -perhaps next year but what I can continue to do is post in lieu of you when you can’t - you just need to PM me!
I have gleaned that the category idea that has been happening for the last year has now become too restrictive which I thought worked well for a while.

It would be good for the Freeware & Casual AGSOTD to continue (& the addition of retro games sounds great!) but aside from that I see no need for categories & I think that youse that have expressed an interest to carry on (aside from Intense Degree, Tim & Oscar that have already expressed what you want to do)  i.e.  Iznogood & wilco that perhaps feel confined by the categories it would be great if you could carry on presenting anything you like!

Is there anyone else that would like to commit to presenting an AGSOTD for just 1 day of the week?

EDIT: Sorry diego, I’ve just thought that you’ve been doing a great job posting at weekends & filling in on the Tuesday slot - are you intending to carry on?
Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 20 May 2016 05:11 PM

EDIT: Sorry diego, I’ve just thought that you’ve been doing a great job posting at weekends & filling in on the Tuesday slot - are you intending to carry on?  Smile

Although not confirmed, I just kind of assumed that Lady K would continue for a while. She hasn’t posted enough to be burned out. But I could be wrong!  Smile  Even if they re-up, we’re one day short of a full week.

In addition to needing someone for the one missing day, it would really be nice if we had some people waiting in the wings in case something happens. Witness Dag’s motorcycle accident. Stuff happens. We were lucky that he was a survivor. We were also lucky that there was someone who could fill in until he was able to return.

So I echo chrissie’s post. If you are interested in participating either now or something in the future, let us know.

Edit: Kurufinwe and Bastich ran the marathon. Karlok and chrissie ran the mile. The current crew is running a relay race. So the paradigm has shifted a bit, in a good way I think. FWIW, I have found it difficult at times to do just one day a week. And I am grateful for the opportunity to cut that in half. I’m embarrassed to say that, of late, on the way home from our Thursday morning grocery shopping, my wife will ask if I’ve done “that thing I need to for Friday.”

There is often an *expletive deleted* statement. Which, once the groceries are put away, results in a search for games that haven’t already been posted. Plus a download, if needed, so I can re-familiarize myself with the game. And then the search for the screenshot that exemplifies the game’s atmosphere. And then you start drafting the editorial. To me, for those guys who ran the marathon, that would be a full time job. I don’t know how they did it.

For Karlok and chrissie, Karlock was doing a half-marathon while chrissie was “only” doing a 10K, but STill! What an effort!

If there is a game topic that you think is deserving, that you think can be conveyed by a screenshot, PLEASE volunteer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top