• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkLittleRoseseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I doubt anyone considers it a nuisance!
But, yeah, these AGSOTD generally don’t spark as much discussions as one could hope for, it isn’t just your scenes but all of them.

I understand if you want to cut down to one or two a week, but am NOT volunteering to do more than the once per week I’m doing now. I also don’t really see it as a problem if there aren’t one every single day, if someone wants to take over then fine, but otherwise don’t feel obliged to continue posting 3 days a week.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

diego - 08 December 2015 11:25 AM

I feel like posting 3 times a week is tiring people

lol

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think the posts are getting a lot of views, but the average number of replies is around 4 or 5. I think most people look at the screenshot and think that it is nice, that it looks like a game they would enjoy playing, or that it brings back memories of when they played it themselves. But that doesn’t automatically result in a them writing something. I think chrissie said something to the effect that it’s OK if they’re not writing, but if they stop looking, that’s a problem.

Keep up the good work. I look at the posts every day, and I don’t write something most of the time either. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Also it is hard to discuss something you haven’t played before. I tend to comment on stuff that I have played before, and have something that might be useful to say, but that doesn’t mean I don’t look at them.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 08 December 2015 11:25 AM

It worked for a while, but my latest offerings have sparked ZERO conversation! I feel like posting 3 times a week is tiring people and imposing a certain one-sided contribution that is working against the collective format idea. I enjoy posting, but not when it becomes nuisance, or even worse - when it produces indifference.

I know how no-response makes you feel, diego. Got the T-shirt to prove it.
Cheer up, you’re still doing a great job.

PS: And forum traffic is not what it used to be. Frown

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 08 December 2015 01:35 PM

PS: And forum traffic is not what it used to be. Frown

^ This.

It’s more of a general thing than specific to the AGSotD, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh, guys, you’re the bestest! Kiss I’d really wish you for a friend, chatting and having a beer in a pub after being dumped by my girlfriend or something! Cool

But, this is a resignation - my last 4 AGSOTDs had total of 0 replies! No forum traffic is enough of excuse for that! It’s a red lamp signaling for fresh blood! Of course, AGSOTD was always voluntary, so I’d love (and the only proper way) if it’s done by a person who feels like doing it, and ready to share something on the matter of Hybrid adventure games, Cartoon adventure games or Special feature. (or propose new ideas)

edit: And why nobody told me I missed the Sunday, 29 November? HA! Grin One more reason for a resignation!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 08 December 2015 04:58 PM

edit: And why nobody told me I missed the Sunday, 29 November? HA! Grin One more reason for a resignation!

I’m only sure someone missed a date when it’s too late, and saying something then would make me feel like a dick. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would certainly hope that your decision to resign only affects one or two of the three posts. How many and which one is your decision. But please don’t abandon them all.

I can’t tell you how many times I wake up on a Wednesday, possibly Thursday, and say “WTF! I know what game it’s going to be, but I don’t have a screenshot I like and I haven’t written a word. I wonder if anyone will notice if I don’t post Casual Friday.”

But I do it, and the post gets four replies, two of which are mine because I am responding to the two who actually took the time to write something. And I wonder, just like you, whether this is worth it. And it’s only been six months of our one-year commitment.And I also say that this isn’t nearly as easy or rewarding as I thought it was going to be.

But then I also say to myself, (muttering expletives as I do so,) “If Kuru, Bastich, Karlok and chrissie got through this, I’ll be damned if I’m going to be the first one to throw in the towel.”

So pare down the workload. My favorite of the three is Cartoon Sunday. And, yes I did notice the missing Sunday. But who knows what circumstance got in the way. So I, and I’m sure other contributors, figured there was a problem. I’m sure if I missed a Friday, I’m quite positive that I would not enjoy getting up from my sickbed to read spiteful hate mail. Or worse…TimovieMan telling me to get my post in promptly or I’m fired.

Chose one or two to proceed with. But don’t leave. We put a lot of effort into the continuation of this thread.

When we get together at that pub, my libation of choice, being Irish, is, of course Guinness. I’ll buy the first round.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 08 December 2015 04:58 PM

But, this is a resignation - my last 4 AGSOTDs had total of 0 replies!

WHAT!?!

I didn’t expect your resignation after you said you ENJOYED posting them.  Cry
You’re free to do as you please of course, but then so am I.  Naughty From now on, I’ll try to reply to all your AGSotDs.  Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I read all the AGSOTD religiously (it’s a great couple of minutes pause while I’m waiting for something to deploy when working) but often enough I’m not sure what to write as a comment when I haven’t played the game up until now so I just read and don’t really reply.

I like reading all the AGSOTD and It’s been a lot of fun reading your posts Diego, I really love the Hybrid and the Cartoon post. It’s great to add to my backlog (I really like Hybrid games)...  Likewise I really love the Puzzles from Iznogood (by the way, Iznogood, any relation to the comic?), the freeware games from Intense Degree and I enjoy discovering console games with Wilco (I’ve got to try ICO).

I’ve discovered a lot by reading rtrooney’s casual games posts (which I initially dismissed due to my hatred of HO games).

So all that to say, that I really enjoy all of your work, I’m sorry that I tend to not comment much but I really appreciate it and wanted to say thanks.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I love looking at and reading them as well.  I spent all of last Saturday looking at the whole year’s worth of AGSOTD and I love them.  They make me want to drop what I’m doing and play the game no matter how obscure…  I lurk a lot more than I used to these days so don’t generally post replys very often.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Diego

As others have said, it’s your choice, but unless you are fed up posting them then I would say definitely continue, even if you drop one or two of the days. I know it can be disheartening to get the zero replies response (just like my last one! Wink ) and there have certainly been times when it has felt like I have had “sympathy” replies from one or two people just so I don’t feel left out (Thanks Becky & Chrissie & others!) but ultimately I still think people like them - even some of my obscure AGS nonsense.

I am definitely the same as most people here in that I generally read all the AGSOTD posts but very rarely reply. Maybe it’s because AGSOTD is somehow more like reading a short article on a website and somehow less interactive, but my lack of posting certainly doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy the posts, whoever has been making them over the years.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Intense Degree - 09 December 2015 04:48 AM

Maybe it’s because AGSOTD is somehow more like reading a short article on a website and somehow less interactive, but my lack of posting certainly doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy the posts, whoever has been making them over the years.

Yes, actually that’s probably the best way to describe it. For example, your last post, Intense Degree, I read it and enjoyed and it makes me want to add this game to my backlog (but after I play The Visitor) but it’s hard for me to know what to reply to the topic. I could say “thanks for talking about the game” but then I feel that it doesn’t really advance the discussion. It’s like reviews on the main site, I would comment (back when the comments were still there) if I add something to add because I played the game but if I don’t it doesn’t feel right to leave a relatively empty comment?

But that said, I could definitely comment more. For example I could have commented on Quest Of Glory’s screenshot from Diego, on Runaway’s screenshot or on Ankh (especially since I love that game). So, I’ll definitely try to comment more on games that I do know in the future

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 08 December 2015 07:29 PM

From now on, I’ll try to reply to all your AGSotDs.  Tongue

Hehe. Grin Hey, posting forced replies is the same as posting no replies at all! You do that, and I’ll come back here to complain how people are posting forced comments, and I’ll resign again! Grin Naughty

rtrooney - 08 December 2015 06:58 PM

I would certainly hope that your decision to resign only affects one or two of the three posts.

Thanks everyone - I mean, I KNEW everyone is feeling that way, and I’m the same - after all, the point of AGSOTD are not the comments (like when it ran on the front page with no comments at all), but I still feel the current format would work better if everyone was entitled for one day. This is an open call for a member who thinks he can contribute to the current format (or propose a new day) and is willing to do it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top