• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckychrissieDalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hi diego—I’m not one to argue about the implications inherent in words (okay, maybe I am), but “clone” sounds like an non-creative replica of something. Would you ask someone to take on a job of writing about comedic piratical adventure games by introducing it as “Monkey Island Clone” Saturday?  Cool

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I know - name it however you like - as long as you take the job! Grin Cool

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I agree with Becky.
It’s probably better to call it “First Person Puzzler Saturday” or even “AFGNCAAP Saturday.”

The term “Myst Clone” has been used in a derogatory fashion so often that it’s impossible not to see it as derogatory.

Besides, it’s inaccurate—like calling every single third person comedic adventure a “Monkey Island Clone” even when the game has nothing else in common with Monkey Island other than being comedic and using third person.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Personally I like Super Solitary & Spectacular Scenery Saturday  Crazy

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

How about “Myst-inspired Saturday”?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 05 April 2016 12:33 PM

Personally I like Super Solitary & Spectacular Scenery Saturday  Crazy

Why not drop the ‘Spectacular Scenery’ bit (just in case the game doesn’t actually have any Laughing ) & condense it to ‘Super Solitary Saturday’.

rtrooney - 05 April 2016 12:34 PM

Well. we’re just back to Myst Tim & there are so many games now that play through so differently in solitary 1st person perspective which are nothing like it!    Smile

Sorry, I agree with the comments of Becky & crabapple.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 05 April 2016 01:15 PM
rtrooney - 05 April 2016 12:34 PM

Well. we’re just back to Myst Tim & there are so many games now that play through so differently in solitary 1st person perspective which are nothing like it!    Smile

I won’t argue about that. In fact there were only three games I could name, other than the Myst sequels, that I know were created as Myst-inspired games. Shivers 1 & 2 and Lighthouse.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

PLEASE - stop the debate about how the sub-genre should be called. Step forward if you wanna take the Saturday, and call it whatever you want. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 05 April 2016 01:22 PM

PLEASE - stop the debate about how the sub-genre should be called. Step forward if you wanna take the Saturday, and call it whatever you want. Grin

Sure - Anybody willing to take over the Saturday slot from diego, should also have free hands to do whatever they want with it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ll do it, since I have a love of 1st person games.  I’ll have to cogitate on the title.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Woo-hoo! Lady K you rule!  Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yesssss! Can’t wait to see the title! Tongue (just kidding… you know there dosn’t even have to be the title, right? Smile )

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m also giving my best Woo Hoo to Lady K for volunteering to take over the Saturday AGSotD.

Unfortunately there is another topic that needs to be addressed. Several people committed to continue the AGSotD thread for another year almost a year ago.

That “contract” runs out on May 31.

I’m not saying that any of the current volunteers want to quit. But I am saying that it is an appropriate time to start looking for new people who are willing to take over.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, there were no replies to the above post. With the exception of Lady K, the rest of us have only five or six more posts left before the first of June rolls around. And for all I know, she may have only volunteered to serve out the current term.

So I think it is time to start discussing what’s going to happen. This thread started when chrissie and Karlok made their announcement that the AGSotD was going to end when they had finished serving their year in hell. I think the announcement was made sometime in mid-to-late April. And for those who have been with this thread since the beginning, you know we pretty much went down to the deadline. The first “group” AGSotD went out on June 1. But getting there wasn’t an easy process.

I can’t speak for the other contributors. I have no idea whether they want to do this for another year or not.

But I think it would be a good idea to have some new contributors waiting in the wings. And remember, those new contributors aren’t bound by any constraints. If someone said they would like to take over on Friday, there is no reason that has to remain Casual Friday.

I think it would be unwise to think that everyone in the current group wants to do this for another year. So, unless you want to see some of the Ds in the AGSotD disappear, you need to think about keeping the AGSotD alive and kicking.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t mind carrying on for more time but I will probably have to leave the console/portable theme at some point. Of course if someone wants to take over just say it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top