• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamBeckyKeybordzNico2021walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Karlok - 15 May 2015 05:32 AM

Standards…? Please! There are no standards, everybody has their own way of doing it and I’d love to see you take care of one or more days a week. If people want AGSotD to continue, Chrissie’s approach is the best one: 5, 6 or 7 posters with different themes. You have played every humorous adventure game, so you’d be perfect for posting that type of screenshots and there haven’t been enough of them this year.

You didn’t mention Wreck, who started the whole thing ten or more years ago. You probably hadn’t discovered AG yet. You know what he did? He posted a screenshot without any comment. Not even the name of the game. Sometimes he said: “Happy Sunday, everybody”. Smile That was Wreck’s way and his threads were very popular, you can still see them at the old forum (except the screenshots themselves).

Go for it, Dag!  Cool

Yes, Wreck was before my time here, but if he started it all, then I applaud his incentive. Thank you, Karlok, this makes me a little more confident. Humorous cartoon adventures is one of my passions in life, so I guess I should be able to handle a screen a week within that cathegory. Like Izno, I wouldn’t want to commit to a full year or anything, but I’d do it for as long as I enjoy doing it. Would I suffer horrible consequences if I were to produce the screen a day too late on occasion? I have a history of being late for appointments… Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would prefer to have the Casual post occur on Friday. “Casual Friday”  Content  Cool

I’m committed to doing a year’s worth of posts. (As much as anyone can commit to anything that far in advance.) Only problem is that due to prior commitments I will be unable to start until June 19.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Dag - 15 May 2015 03:18 PM

Would I suffer horrible consequences if I were to produce the screen a day too late on occasion?

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 15 May 2015 01:33 PM

I’d appreciate it if you stopped being unfunny at my expense.

Sorry, it wasn’t meant as being on your expense. If anything it was aimed at Diego as I’m not convinced that his offer was sincerely meant.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We can safely assume that Diego’s offer was not serious. But of course he might change his mind… Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Would I suffer horrible consequences if I were to produce the screen a day too late on occasion? I have a history of being late for appointments… Tongue

Brings up an interesting question. All prior AGSOTD posters live in Europe. In fact all current volunteers, except for me live in Europe. Time zones are a bitch!

Suggestions as to how we all post so that stuff kind of appears at the same time for everyone? GMT?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 16 May 2015 09:17 PM

Suggestions as to how we all post so that stuff kind of appears at the same time for everyone? GMT?

The answer to that question is simple - We don’t!

Apart from the time-zone differences, then people might also have different work schedules or for that matter, changing work schedules. As long as they are posted on the correct day, then I don’t really think it makes much difference if one posts in the morning, another in the afternoon and a third perhaps late evening.

In fact I haven’t even noticed if previous AGSOTD posters always tried to post at the same time? If it was there when I first log on, fine, if not then I would read it later or perhaps not until I log on the next day.

Would I suffer horrible consequences if I were to produce the screen a day too late on occasion? I have a history of being late for appointments… Tongue

As long as you backdate it, then I don’t think anyone will notice pull out the pitchforks if you are a day late Tongue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

To tally up the score:

Rtrooney - Casual Friday (Starting June 19)
Dag - Humorous games
Wilco - Handheld/console
Chrissie - Freeware / (perhaps regular if others want freeware)
- (Only after a months break, and only after giving it some extra thought)
Iznogood - Puzzles

If talking about weekdays then I would prefer Wednesday, as Wednesday is named after Odin or Woden, Odin is the king of the gods in the Nordic mythology, and Puzzles are king of AG Cool
(Doesn’t sound as cool as Casual Friday though Shifty Eyed )

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 17 May 2015 03:47 AM

The answer to that question is simple - We don’t!

I agree. The volunteers with the commitment to do this, can post the AGSotD at their leisure without additional rules, imo.
If that means that some get posted at 11:55 PM and the next a mere 10 minutes later at 0:05 AM, then so be it.

The more you try to establish rules to ‘streamline’ this, the more you’ll lose every poster’s individual angle, and the faster people will get “burned out”. It’s still supposed to be fun, no?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The only area I’d feel comfortable posting about would be console/handheld adventures, so once/if Wilco feels he’s no longer up to that I’d gladly jump on that. Provided the pool of games I’d post about hasn’t been completely exhausted at that point.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 16 May 2015 01:26 AM

If anything it was aimed at Diego as I’m not convinced that his offer was sincerely meant.

Karlok - 16 May 2015 03:52 AM

We can safely assume that Diego’s offer was not serious. But of course he might change his mind… Smile

You’re both wrong and right - my post WAS serious originally, but now, I sorta changed my mind. There’re two reasons for it:

1) I’m not sure about it, and I don’t know why, but I’d rather if AGSOTD would represent the “series” of one, or two persons doing it. More than that, I don’t feel like having a handheld device adventure (I just took it as an example) on each Thursday, because I liked the surprise factor with 1-2 persons doing it. You know, a person can post the whole week a bunch of handheld device adventures if he/she feels like it, and you would be surprised. Expecting a handheld device adventure on a specific day in a week, loses that uncertainty and expectation factor, which is a huge part of what makes AGSOTD to me.

2) If we’re making a “Frankenstein monster” format, what makes the “Puzzle” part more important, than, let’s say… a “FMV Day”? Or, why having a regular AG, and then the “Puzzle” day if the same game can fit into both? I hope you catch my drift here - I’m not saying the proposed days are BAD, I’m saying it’s IMPOSSIBLE to make an ideal week out of 7 parts, unless you’d change the format and themes for each week/month (sort of like what chrissie/Karlok did with the theme days, but you still didn’t know it in advance) but that would just complicate the matter.

Finally, and not to be the complete party pooper, this is a great collective effort idea which will probably find it’s final shape in some way or another, and a great stuff for the forum activity.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I pretty much agree with everything that you have said diego & the ideal for AGSotD to continue from the viewer’s point of view would be preferable in the hands of 1 or 2 people with the potential for an eclectic mix of surprises each day! 

The reality is that so far no-one wants to make the commitment on that basis as Kurufinwe followed by Bastich posting for 7 days each week & in this last year the 5 days Karlok did as it is quite a heavy one! 

The alternative is several people posting each week but do they want to get on with the relatively easy task of posting a screenshot safe from repeating a game presented from other posters as it falls within a specific category (or if a different angle such as a regular screenshot as opposed to e.g. a puzzle if the game is repeated) or do contributors want to spend more time negotiating with each other on games they would like to present than actually presenting them? in which case AGSotD could be more free-flowing! 

As you say diego it’s impossible to make an ideal week out of 7 parts but even if you know what category is being posted each day you don’t know what’s going to be posted - I’m all for letting it ride to see how it goes!
My other thought was that if you forget to post or can’t, just catch up later with the correct day & date of the day you should have posted in the title whenever you get around to it!  I’m interested to see how this will go & surely it’s better than AGSotD dying? 

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

@Diego

If anyone or two were willing to do this then we wouldn’t need to turn it into a more collective effort, but no one seems to be willing to post more than once a week, so a more collective approach is needed.

As both Timoviman and myself has been advocating, whoever does this should have as free hands as possible, so if you want a day (or two) a week where you post about anything, nothing or everything as you see fit, then that is fine with me.

Personally I choose Puzzles because I fell puzzles in AG are becoming increasingly neglected by both developers, players and in this forum in general, and I wanted to put a bit of focus on them, NOT because there was a place on the list with the tittle ‘Puzzles’. It also doesn’t mean that just because there is a ‘puzzle’ title on the post, then I will only talk about the puzzles and not mention other parts of the game, but it does mean that my approach will be more puzzle-centric than what that AGSOTD has been so far - But guess what, it would have been so regardless of the “slot tittle”, because that is what interests me.

diego - 18 May 2015 07:51 AM

2) If we’re making a “Frankenstein monster” format, what makes the “Puzzle” part more important, than, let’s say… a “FMV Day”?

Nothing - except that is the part I’m interested in posting about.

diego - 18 May 2015 07:51 AM

2) Or, why having a regular AG, and then the “Puzzle” day if the same game can fit into both?

Who says that we can’t post twice about the same game?
For example Dag might post a scene from a game and talk about the game in general, or from whatever angle that interest him the most, like the graphics, and then the next day I might post about a single puzzle or the puzzles in general, from the same game. Or who knows I might decide to do a special about puzzles in Casual games, even though Rtrooney has the Casual slot.

I’m not saying that either will happen, and nothing of the sort has been planned, but it could happen.

Is this “Frankenstein format” necessarily the best seen from the audiences perspective? Perhaps not, but it might just be the best possible solution.

I do hope that you chance your mind, and decide to join despite your concerns about the format.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Although my track record here proves I can’t be trusted with long term commitments ( Wink ) I would be happy to cover a month or so of Freeware days until chrissie is rested and ready to get back into the saddle.

I can’t deny that it might just have an AGS focus, but well… y’know…!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Intense Degree - 18 May 2015 11:04 AM

Although my track record here proves I can’t be trusted with long term commitments ( Wink ) I would be happy to cover a month or so of Freeware days until chrissie is rested and ready to get back into the saddle.

I can’t deny that it might just have an AGS focus, but well… y’know…!

Wonderful Intense Degree! Please go ahead for as long as you want to - I’ve only just begun to appreciate the wealth of very worthy Freeware games available so apart from catching up with many games to finish & start on the regular front I’ve hardly started on those! Can you post on Mondays?    Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top