• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 12 October 2014 10:03 AM

About the controls, the idea was (in having the character-relative controls) - as far as I know - that there are many “cinematic” shots where you’re in a room but the POV switches when you walk to a certain area. It might do a 180, in which case screen-relative controls could potentially just throw you back where you came from if you kept pressing the same button you were just using to go one way. Of course, there’s an easy fix for it which hopefully they’ll include (in the screen-relative), that if you switch POV while walking, you’ll keep going the same way as long as you’re pressing the button, and only switch once you’ve released. But I’m sure they will.

But the options in the game already allowed you to switch between screen-relative controls and character-relative controls, so what’s this version adding???

The game (as well as Escape from Monkey Island) starts screen-relative (where an angle-switch from the camera could make you return to the previous screen if you weren’t careful), but I always put the controls character-relative and never had any problems…

I never found the controls to be that tricky. Then again, I had already played, for example, Escape From Monkey Island at that point which, as far as I can rememer, used the same control scheme.

At worst the controls took a little fiddling with the options to get them right and at most five minutes of getting used to. I never found them as bad/tricky as people always say…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Okay! Tongue Meaning: “oh, it’s been so long since I played the game that I just assumed from what everyone was saying that there was only that one control scheme” Grin And maybe it never even occured to me that it could be changed…

Lambonius - 12 October 2014 12:55 PM

Sounds like a controller is basically going to be a requirement if you want to play it on PC, given the new controls.  Screen-relative vs. character-relative doesn’t mean shit if you’re still using a keyboard for all control inputs.

I always played on keyboard. Never had any problems. In fact, I could potentially even see it a little bit easier sometimes when you’ve got several finger on the movement buttons (WASD). Mind you, this was before the time of controllers with the mini-joysticks (you know, what they have nowadays for movement, I can’t remember what they’re called).

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 13 October 2014 03:33 AM

Mind you, this was before the time of controllers with the mini-joysticks (you know, what they have nowadays for movement, I can’t remember what they’re called).

Analogue sticks, iirc.

UPtimist - 13 October 2014 03:33 AM

Okay! Tongue Meaning: “oh, it’s been so long since I played the game that I just assumed from what everyone was saying that there was only that one control scheme” Grin And maybe it never even occured to me that it could be changed…

Actually, this is what’s bothering me in all the talk about the new version. They make it sound like they’re overhauling the control method completely while to me it sounds like they’re just changing the default setting to the alternative one that was already present in the original game.

I really don’t see what the fuss is about…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

My big problem was not so much controlling the character, but not knowing if I had successfully interacted with an object. In a point and click adventure I know what I clicked on, but in Grim, If I was rotated 10 degrees the wrong way he might just go “I can’t do that,” when in fact I can and he’s just not lined up.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Frogacuda - 13 October 2014 09:05 AM

My big problem was not so much controlling the character, but not knowing if I had successfully interacted with an object. In a point and click adventure I know what I clicked on, but in Grim, If I was rotated 10 degrees the wrong way he might just go “I can’t do that,” when in fact I can and he’s just not lined up.

“My big problem”, are you okay? That’s just picky as hell. I can promise you I never had that problem. That’s such a minor problem if it ever was one. Grim Fandango came out about the same time as the original Tomb Raider games and controlling Manny is no where near as frustrating as it is to control Lara.

To this day, I still believe controlling Manny is pretty smooth and responsive.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

aaroncarney - 13 October 2014 09:43 AM

You are free to believe so, just as many other people are free to believe that the controls in GF suck.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

My big problem was not so much controlling the character, but not knowing if I had successfully interacted with an object. In a point and click adventure I know what I clicked on, but in Grim, If I was rotated 10 degrees the wrong way he might just go “I can’t do that,” when in fact I can and he’s just not lined up. I know he kind of turns his head to focus on objects, but there was a need for clearer feedback.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, there’s a reason they added the text prompt in EFMI. That head turning thing was a poor idea. I was stuck for a long time because I hadn’t noticed the slight tilt of the head near a spot in the reception desk.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

herb - 12 October 2014 02:10 PM

You won’t need a controller, WASD will work fine.

That’s not what I meant.  I’m sure you’ll still be able to play it with keyboard controls.  Smile  I meant that there’s nothing they could do with keyboard controls that would change the inherent clunkiness of moving the character using 4 keyboard buttons.  Using a controller is the only way it would feel “like a modern 3D game” as the article put it.

Sidenote: I never personally had a problem with the original controls, I’m just speculating about the lack of specific wording in the stupid IGN write-up.

EDIT:  Just read the Polygon article—they’re a bit clearer.  They say that analog controls will be the default—so basically both the PS4 and PC versions are being redesigned with a controller in mind.  The traditional tank controls will be the other option for PC, according to the article.  They say nothing of a point-and-click option, which seems to be what people around here are assuming they’ve done.

From Polygon:

Grim Fandango Remastered also adds a new modern analog control scheme. The new controls are based on a player-made mod — Double Fine contracted the modder who originally developed the alternate controls to bring his work to the Remastered version — and make controlling Manny much easier. Purists who prefer the game’s tank-style controls will have the option to play that way, but analog will be the default.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

aaroncarney - 13 October 2014 09:43 AM

“My big problem”, are you okay? That’s just picky as hell. I can promise you I never had that problem. That’s such a minor problem if it ever was one. Grim Fandango came out about the same time as the original Tomb Raider games and controlling Manny is no where near as frustrating as it is to control Lara.

People are different. How you experience things isn’t necessarily the universal truth. The original Tomb Raider is one of my favourite games, and I never had any issues with its controls, while the controls of Grim Fandango frustrated me to no end and pretty much ruined the game for me.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So the analogue stick is going to be the big overhaul? Meh, I’ll take WASD over a controller any day. And with a controller I’ll even take the D-pad over the analogue stick (which I’ve always considered clumsily over-sensitive).

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

The new IGN and Polygon articles only previewed the PS4 version of the game, which of course would be controller focused.

Previous previews suggested that the PC (and tablet?) versions would have a point-n-click option.
http://www.gamesradar.com/tim-schafer-wants-grim-fandango-remastered-be-ultimate-criterion-edition/
http://www.pcgamer.com/grim-fandango-remaster-will-feature-live-orchestral-soundtrack-original-art-assets/

I think the community modder that Polygon referred to in the recent article was Tobias Pfaff, who was featured in the second “Making of” documentary that Double Fine released. Tobias made the Grim Fandango point-n-click mod.

So I doubt Grim’s old control woes will remain a problem, especially if you’re planning to play the remastered version on PC.  Cool

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Here’s hoping!  I’d enjoy playing it in P&C, definitely.  The Polygon article does say they looked at the PS4 version, but then goes on to talk as though they’re talking about the PC version when referencing the analog controls and the fan modifications.  Stupid shitty game journalism.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 13 October 2014 03:23 PM

So the analogue stick is going to be the big overhaul? Meh, I’ll take WASD over a controller any day. And with a controller I’ll even take the D-pad over the analogue stick (which I’ve always considered clumsily over-sensitive).

I don’t agree at all. Analogue sticks are better for 3d platforming movement. WASD is doable but analogue sticks are much more precise and faster.
2d platforms are better with a D-pad and for shotting (and point and click games of course) a mouse is more precise, but direct control of 3D character is better with an analogue stick.
Grim Fandango will be playable anyway (the controls never bothered me much) but I hope for a good implementation of the analogue sticks, it will be better.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 13 October 2014 07:00 PM

I don’t agree at all. Analogue sticks are better for 3d platforming movement. WASD is doable but analogue sticks are much more precise and faster.

“More precise” depends on your dexterity and stick control. I tend to over- or undershoot my directions more with an analogue stick because I consider them too sensitive, which is why I prefer WASD or a D-pad where I have perfect control over the direction the character will go to (despite only having 8 directions instead of an unlimited amount).
I also don’t see how the analogue stick would be faster. Movement is movement, whether the input came from a keyboard or a controller, and it would only be faster in cases where you need a 1/16th direction, and even then the difference would only be noticeable over a long distance (which would mean several screen changes that further reduce the difference).

Thus my personal preference that the less I need to use the analogue stick, the better. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top