• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This discussion about the controls seems to go on almost everywhere at the moment. I very much prefer to have direct control and an invisible interface. Adding gamepad support would make it perfect IMO.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

DaveyB - 15 June 2014 05:01 PM

An awful lot of people seem to prefer horses to Fords Tongue

The Amish are a weird bunch of people who live in the past devoid of technology..Doesn’t make them right. People are scared of change and new experiences.

Says you. I say the control method (on PC) was s**t. Doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong, just you want to stop me playing the game how I’d prefer to. Because…?

Because the game was not designed to have that interface and it doesn’t need one retrofitted just because some people can’t handle a controller.

The thing about Grim was the invisible interface, the constant hands on with the lead character. Putting in a PnC clutters the screen and makes the game less immersive.

Everything in the game from camera angles to puzzles was designed with that interface in mind.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I recall this game well. Once you got acclimated to the controls it was fun.

Remakes can be slight improvements or complete overhauls. We’ll see which this one is.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

KestrelPi at the Double Fine forums has pointed out some relevant tweets from Tim.

An interesting statement among those is that Tim says Double Fine has “gotta round up all the source files, figure out what [they] can make look better.”

So clearly Double Fine themselves don’t actually know yet exactly what their options are to tweak the game’s graphics for a higher resolution. But Tim’s reference to “source files” makes me think that Double Fine may not be just working from the files in the shipped game since that’s not what “source files” usually means. So it sounds like there might be some of the original working files (e.g. 3-D art files, audio recordings) that either remain archived at LucasArts/Disney or are in the hands of some ex-employees. Or at least Double Fine may be looking into what, if anything, is still out there.

It seems too much to hope for until we get actual confirmation, but it’d be really great if someone still has what Double Fine would need to re-render the original backgrounds and cinematics at a higher res and/or the audio at a higher fidelity.

Here’s a couple more tweets from Tim about the remaster: No new puzzles (unsurprising), and a few control options (whatever that ends up meaning).

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

To me “source files” implies the engine code, not any of the uncompressed assets.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Antrax - 19 June 2014 12:07 PM

To me “source files” implies the engine code, not any of the uncompressed assets.

That could be. But why would they need to “round up” the engine code? Wouldn’t it all be in one place?

Anyway, yeah, as the guy who was previously trying to temper people’s expectations, I don’t mean now to get people’s hopes up too much based on one vague and tentative tweet. So as always, this is just speculation and I still anticipate only a modest remaster—the original game with a few tweaks.

But I decided to comment on the tweet here since tomimt and I previously discussed what the likelihood was that any of the original environment art or cinematic files still existed. Considering the game industry has a poor track record at preservation of older games, I didn’t expect so, but this was the first indication I’d seen that maybe some of the working files could still be out there.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Antrax - 19 June 2014 12:07 PM

Source files can also include source assets, for instance the source files of the background scenes, which could then be re-rendered at a higher resolution or imported to a modern renderer and rendered at better quality.

If they have that, I’d imagine they could seriously improve the game visually. If they don’t, it could be hard because you’d be stuck with the same heavily compressed, low-res cut scenes, and even the in-game models you wouldn’t want to make look too much better than those because it’d feel weird switching between them.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If New ‘n’ Tasty (Oddworld) artists could do the job PERFECTLY from original assets ,
i don’t see why Doublefine can’t.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 12:32 PM

If New ‘n’ Tasty (Oddworld) artists could do the job PERFECTLY from original assets ,

I’m sure they could. I just don’t know if the budget of this project is big enough for a full-on remake, and nothing Double Fine has said really implies one to me.

Or maybe I just don’t know enough about how New ‘n’ Tasty was done, but my impression has been that it’s a remake with assets redone from scratch, albeit one modeled closely on the original. Is that incorrect? Did they still have original game assets and modified them? I haven’t followed that project closely, so I don’t know.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 12:32 PM

New n Tasty has been in development for like 3 years. I’m sure Double Fine COULD do a wonderful job with a full remake, but I highly doubt that they’re going to be doing that. It’d probably cost millions.

Caliburn - 19 June 2014 12:45 PM

Or maybe I just don’t know enough about how New ‘n’ Tasty was done, but my impression has been that it’s a remake with assets redone from scratch, albeit one modeled closely on the original. Is that incorrect? Did they still have original game assets and modified them? I haven’t followed that project closely, so I don’t know.

While they may or may not have the original assets, they don’t seem to have used them for New n Tasty. It seems to be from scratch regardless.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Frogacuda - 19 June 2014 12:50 PM

I’m sure Double Fine COULD do a wonderful job with a full remake, but I highly doubt that they’re going to be doing that. It’d probably cost millions.

Yes, you have to take the normal development time for such an endeavor and then multiply it by the “Schafer” factor. It would take way to long. Tongue

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It will be interesting to see what they mean with source files. If luck has it, they might have the old 3D files, but it doesn’t yet mean that those assets would be easy to use as they are. And they will most likely need to at least re-texture the scenes.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Caliburn - 19 June 2014 11:57 AM

Here’s a couple more tweets from Tim about the remaster: No new puzzles (unsurprising), and a few control options (whatever that ends up meaning).

Not very surprising, but he also tweeted that they aren’t planning to re-record any of the voices:

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DustCropper - 19 June 2014 07:07 PM
Caliburn - 19 June 2014 11:57 AM

Not very surprising, but he also tweeted that they aren’t planning to re-record any of the voices:

Voices are the last thing i want them to touch.

Great news. Vanilla voices…hell yes.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I wonder if they’ll create high def prerendered backgrounds, or render the environments in 3D with fixed camera angles.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top