• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

nomadsoul - 19 June 2014 09:44 PM
DustCropper - 19 June 2014 07:07 PM
Caliburn - 19 June 2014 11:57 AM

Here’s a couple more tweets from Tim about the remaster: No new puzzles (unsurprising), and a few control options (whatever that ends up meaning).

Not very surprising, but he also tweeted that they aren’t planning to re-record any of the voices:

Voices are the last thing i want them to touch.

Great news. Vanilla voices…hell yes.

Yes, I agree. I don’t remember the voices sounding very compressed either. Better sound quality than a lot of modern adventure games, actually.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

DustCropper - 19 June 2014 11:58 PM

I don’t remember the voices sounding very compressed either. Better sound quality than a lot of modern adventure games, actually.

Yeah, thinking about it more, I’m not sure if it even matters that much whether the original recording sessions or sound editing files for Grim Fandango still exist in an archive somewhere or not, since the audio fidelity should be acceptable regardless.

If I recall correctly, the audio in Grim has a sample rate of 22kHz, and that’s good enough for human voice. For music, it’s not very good, but we know Double Fine has access to 44kHz versions of the music, because LucasArts released a Grim Fandango soundtrack CD, so Double Fine can just use the CD. That really only leaves sound effects to be concerned about, and while that’s sub-optimal for certain types of sounds, I doubt anyone will really flip out about those being at 22kHz. They’re also one of the easier things for Double Fine to replace, should they really wish to.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

The audio cd probably does not cover all the music segments available in game.

In any case, they have access to the original composer, so they should be able to re-record it and maybe add a modern spin to it, like with GK 20th anniversary edition.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If they do rerecord the soundtrack I do hope they do better job than what we’ve heard from GK remake. Persoanally I feel Holmes has overused soundeffects a bit on that.

What comes to voice acting, the original audio is perfectly fine even for today.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

subbi - 20 June 2014 09:45 AM

The audio cd probably does not cover all the music segments available in game.

Good point, there are bits of incidental music not on the soundtrack CD. Well, hopefully the recording sessions for those still exist—the Grim Fandango soundtrack includes live musicians and still sounds great today. It’d be a shame to have to choose between re-recording even small parts of it or just using the 22kHz versions in those small sections.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Would love some retail extra stuff, Vita ver also listed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KL3W81U/

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Just like most people were suspecting, the remake of GF will be available on PC as well. Here’s the official tweet:

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Official announcement of PC, Mac, & Linux versions today.

**Ha, beat me to it!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Grim Fandango: Bringing the Dead Back to Life (PAX)

In 1998 Tim Schafer released Grim Fandango, his final game at Lucas Arts before leaving to start Double Fine Productions. The game saw great critical success and has gone on to be considered one of the great classics. Now, over 15 years later, the game is being re-released as Grim Fandango Remastered debuting on PlayStation 4 & Vita. Join a panel consisting of both the game’s original creators and the team responsible for the new release as they discuss the game’s original development, their feelings on the game looking back, and how they are approaching development on the new release!

Panelists:

Tim Schafer [President & CEO, Double Fine Productions], Peter Chan [Concept Artist and Illustrator], Peter McConnell [Composer, Little Big Note Music], Brandon Dillon [Senior Programmer, Double Fine Productions]

Saturday 8/30 4:30PM - 5:30PM

Gonna be Great!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-05-04

PM

Awesome news, and about a sequel, let’s keep the hopes up, a new adventure on Manny Calavera’s world would be insanely cool Grin

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

guybrush_calavera - 17 August 2014 08:24 PM

Awesome news, and about a sequel, let’s keep the hopes up, a new adventure on Manny Calavera’s world would be insanely cool Grin

I wouldn’t say no to a sequel, as there might be a chance of it being good, but I don’t feel like the game actually needs one. The story of Grim Fandango ended the perfect way.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ I agree with Kasper.
Grim Fandango doesn’t need a sequel, and if it DOES get one, then it should be an entirely unrelated standalone story within the same universe. Sort of an anthology rather than a true sequel.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

^ So do I - I would by it if it is made, but I’m perfectly happy with the way the story ended.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Grim Fandango would be cool on the PSVITA - a remake on the PS4/PSVITA would be a great game - and if this leads to a PC release of a remake - so much the better.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I actually agree with the previous posts that GF is a game that needs no sequel. If however one was made, I would prefer to be in the same world (different places of the Land of the Dead perhaps. There is huge potential here), but of course with different main characters. Manny is perfectly well where he is! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top