• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

I’m really looking forward to seeing what they can do with those old assets. And that’s great that they are taking an already near-perfect soundtrack and making it even better by re-recording the synthesized portions with a live orchestra. They could just stop the updates there and I’d be happy.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Great news!

You have the ability to toggle back and forth between how the game originally looked, and how it looks now, and holy moly the difference is night and day. Thanks to the new lighting, shaders, and other technical enhancements that flew way over my head, Manny and company now look incredible. Their in-game models appear to be nearly identical to their cut-scene counterparts, which is great. The game is still presented in 4:3, but you have the ability to stretch it to widescreen (for the love of everything good, please don’t do this). The borders are black right now, but I was told that the developers are toying with some ideas for what could stand on the two sides of the screen.

Gone are the tank controls, aka the bane of existence. Now you can navigate the Day of the Dead-themed world as you would any other modern 3D game. This makes puzzle solving and exploration even more enjoyable than it was before.

The final big change I stumbled across was the awesome inclusion of nodes scattered throughout the world that contain small snippets of commentary from Tim Schafer, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell, and a ton of other folks who helped make the game so special back in 1998. The handful of ones I listened to provided interesting and hilarious insight into the original development of the game, the work done on the Remaster, and everything else that’s happened over the past 15 years. I adore the commentary in Portal, and I’d be willing to bet I’m going to love it here just as much

Tim and Dfine redeemed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/10/nycc-grim-fandango-on-ps4-is-pretty-much-the-best-thing-ever

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Polygon had a similar write-up.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/10/6960243/grim-fandango-remastered-ps4-pc

The enhancements sound like about as much as one could reasonably expect without a full-blown remake. I’m looking forward to giving this another run though. I was never that sweet on it back in the day (although I did play it through) because I hated the controls and I was kind of a point-and-click purist at the time, but I wonder if this new version (and the perspective that comes with age) might change my opinion. I did always love the world and characters, just not the gameplay.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That does sound what you could realistically expect from a project like this. It is nice that they’ve left in the option to switch back on the old graphics as well. I really liked that on MI remakes and I do think that should be standard for all scene by scene remakes.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’m a bit confused by the IGN article. It says it will play like any other 3D adventure game.  So…do they mean like Uncharted (camera behind) or like the original? 

Either way, I’m in the same boat as Frogacuda with the original. The controls sort of killed my enthusiasm for the game and once I hit a wall, I kinda put it down and never went back.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

By “like any other” I think they just mean screen-relative controls rather than character relative. The backgrounds are still prerendered so the camera won’change.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Yeah it all sounds promising. A little bit miffed about the 4:3 aspect ratio rather than widescreen but I had those concerns when the project first started, considering they’re working with the original assets. I wonder how difficult it would have even been to just re-do the backgrouds since it’s mostly in 2D. But whatevs, it sounds like it’s going well. I’d like to see some gameplay now Grin

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Frogacuda - 11 October 2014 12:30 PM

By “like any other” I think they just mean screen-relative controls rather than character relative. The backgrounds are still prerendered so the camera won’change.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The controls sort of killed my enthusiasm for the game and once I hit a wall, I kinda put it down and never went back.

The original games’s controls were quite challenging. I finally got the hang of them and completed the game. Overall, a great game I will play on the PSV when released.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 11 October 2014 02:57 PM
Frogacuda - 11 October 2014 12:30 PM

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Samething what REmake HD remaster is doing.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

About the controls, the idea was (in having the character-relative controls) - as far as I know - that there are many “cinematic” shots where you’re in a room but the POV switches when you walk to a certain area. It might do a 180, in which case screen-relative controls could potentially just throw you back where you came from if you kept pressing the same button you were just using to go one way. Of course, there’s an easy fix for it which hopefully they’ll include (in the screen-relative), that if you switch POV while walking, you’ll keep going the same way as long as you’re pressing the button, and only switch once you’ve released. But I’m sure they will.

I never found the controls to be that tricky. Then again, I had already played, for example, Escape From Monkey Island at that point which, as far as I can rememer, used the same control scheme.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

The default controls were pretty bad IIRC. It was something like you stood on a spot and turned circles(I might have remembered it wrong, it’s been a while). There was an alternative control where you moved like a third person shooter, I used that.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Sounds like a controller is basically going to be a requirement if you want to play it on PC, given the new controls.  Screen-relative vs. character-relative doesn’t mean shit if you’re still using a keyboard for all control inputs.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Or they’ll be implementing that mouse control that already exists, given that they’ve leased the new controls from a fan already.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

You won’t need a controller, WASD will work fine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top