• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do Ron Gilbert and Jane Jensen need to do what George R. R. Martin has done with Game of Thrones!? 

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Let’s be honest, Jane and Ron are 51 and 50 respectively and they are not getting any younger.
Would it be fair to their massive fan bases if they took the wrap-ups of their famous stories (Monkey Island 3 and Gabriel Knight 4 of course) to their graves without telling anyone what is THE SECRET of Monkey Island and what happened to Gabriel and Grace after the third game!?  Foot in mouth

It would be essential to secure these ideas from oblivion by Jane and Ron bequeathing them, either telling the stories to colleagues (and publicly announce that) who could eventually finish their work or carry on the legacy (but this could be easily abused) or just sealing them up and entrust them to some specialized law firms.

What is your stance about this?

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

50 and 51 are not that old. At all. Sheesh.

I don’t think anyone will ever know the “secret” of Monkey Island. In many ways, I think that’s the joke.

If the GK1 remake sells well, I think Jane herself would be happy to continue Gabe’s adventures in GK4.

If I had my druthers, I’d rather have a third X-files movie, as that dangling alien invasion plotline has driven me bonkers for the…what 10+ years.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Unfortunately, i dont think theres any real urgency or inevitability to see an “end” to either of those two games. I mean, lets be real here, if gk4 or a new monkey island happened, they probably would leave the door open for more games again. It doesnt really compare well to a massive book series that is supposed to have a resolution.
Also, even if there was a new monkey island, its highly presumptuous to think ron would want to have anything to do with it Wink

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think an official ending for MI series is not needed, as there really isn’t any real secret about Monkey Island. Or to be more specific, the secret of MI is, that there is no secret at all.

But for Gabriel Knight… well, a conclusion would be nice. I’m just not sure I want it to be written by todays Jensen. Unless she can find her right gear again that is.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

You could say The Secret of Monkey Island IS Ron Gilbert.

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Monkey Island 3 already came out in 1997.  Where were you?

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Lambonius - 09 June 2014 12:54 PM

No, even the LucasArts wouldn’t dare to call it like that, although they were 100% owners of the IP. They opted for the alternate name instead, something like a spinoff, omitting any sign of the number 3 in the title.
Perhaps they were the greatest Ron Gilbert fanboys of them all?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bogi - 09 June 2014 01:07 PM
Lambonius - 09 June 2014 12:54 PM

No, even the LucasArts wouldn’t dare to call it like that, although they were 100% owners of the IP. They opted for the alternate name instead, something like a spinoff, omitting any sign of the number 3 in the title.
Perhaps they were the greatest Ron Gilbert fanboys of them all?

They didn’t do it out of some kind of silly reverence for Ron Gilbert, they just opted to copy the style of title from the first game.  Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge is the oddball, title-wise.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Really, what they want to do or not do with their stories is totally up to the authors. Now, if the author (and in this case I mean video game author, since books can be published online at no cost) really wants to let the people know how the story ends but knows they will not get the chance, then I guess they’d always have the option of writing a “summary” of what will happen, in order to wrap it up. But I don’t see a problem in just not finishing, if the author is not interested in finishing. It’s frustrating to some fans, but it’s all in their rights.

Also, sometimes it’s best to leave things open, as long as there is some kind of closure. Many good works of fiction leave the audience hanging a bit. Like, GK3 left at a kind of cliffhanger, but it’s a kind of cliffhanger that is also at the same time a closure. Monkey Island demands even less any continuation, it doesn’t even really have such an intense storyline that demands closure.

Really it’s all up to the authors. If they feel that the story “needs” continuation, then do it - if they don’t feel so then it’s their choice.

The picture also nicely depicts the risk in forcing a closure. Rather give no closure than force one. People have good imaginations.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I agree, as far as I’m concerned Monkey Island story has the perfect ending with the young Guybrush and LeChuck in the theme park.
The problem is when the authors want to continue/finish the stories they created, but due to the perverted legal system they are prevented to do that, so there is a constant danger that their ideas remain unfulfilled.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So is someone going to tell me what George R.R Martin (seriously, who has 2 middle initials?) did to Game of Thrones? I don’t know him or the series.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Because he’s overweight and middle-aged, people think he’s going to die before he finishes writing the last two books.  I think the implication is that he’s going to pass on his legacy and allow the HBO series to move beyond the existing books and wrap up the story before he actually writes them.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that was my understanding.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lambonius - 09 June 2014 06:15 PM

Because he’s overweight and middle-aged, people think he’s going to die before he finishes writing the last two books.  I think the implication is that he’s going to pass on his legacy and allow the HBO series to move beyond the existing books and wrap up the story before he actually writes them.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that was my understanding.

One correction: he has recently said hes considering an 8th book (or rather his editor said it). The gap between the third and 4th book was 5 years, between 4th and 5th: 6 years. Its not unreasonable to guess that 3 more books could take him another 15 years, at which point he will be 80 years old.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think people are afraid he’ll leave the series unfinished, as he hasn’t been that fast in writing the later part of the series. The first three came out in 1996-2000, but then his pace slowed down quite a bit, as it took him 10 years to do the next two. I guess many are afraid the same will hapen Game of Thrones as what happened to the Wheel of Time after Jordan passed away and the series was, or still is, been finished by other writers. Though the Wheel is insanely dense series, with 14 books in it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think something better left untold .
Stephen King for example started the dark tower 1976 as he published it n a magazine and then it was released as a book 1982, anyway the fourth was released 1997’’ so it’s 21 years to release and write the 1st four books but then in less than 7 years (and due to pressure from the publisher and fans because his near death experience) he released the the last three and and guess what, they sucked (though I enjoyed the last part, somehow), the point if they feel like not doing it, then nothin should make then do otherwise.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

GRRM already said he won’t allow another writer to finish the books posthumously. The series, though, is fine with him.

BTW, Agatha Christie wrote the last stories of Poirot and Mrs. Marple and just locked them in a vault to be opened after her death. Seems neater.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top