• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 14 October 2014 06:43 AM

“More precise” depends on your dexterity and stick control. I tend to over- or undershoot my directions more with an analogue stick because I consider them too sensitive, which is why I prefer WASD or a D-pad where I have perfect control over the direction the character will go to (despite only having 8 directions instead of an unlimited amount).
I also don’t see how the analogue stick would be faster. Movement is movement, whether the input came from a keyboard or a controller, and it would only be faster in cases where you need a 1/16th direction, and even then the difference would only be noticeable over a long distance (which would mean several screen changes that further reduce the difference).

Thus my personal preference that the less I need to use the analogue stick, the better. Tongue

In top of having more control of directions, it’s faster to change direction. Of course It will depend of personal preference and the experience with a analogue stick, kind of how many people prefer using a controller to play a action FPS although a mouse is much better.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 13 October 2014 07:00 PM
TimovieMan - 13 October 2014 03:23 PM

So the analogue stick is going to be the big overhaul? Meh, I’ll take WASD over a controller any day. And with a controller I’ll even take the D-pad over the analogue stick (which I’ve always considered clumsily over-sensitive).

I don’t agree at all. Analogue sticks are better for 3d platforming movement. WASD is doable but analogue sticks are much more precise and faster.
2d platforms are better with a D-pad and for shotting (and point and click games of course) a mouse is more precise, but direct control of 3D character is better with an analogue stick.
Grim Fandango will be playable anyway (the controls never bothered me much) but I hope for a good implementation of the analogue sticks, it will be better.

QFT!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 14 October 2014 07:08 AM

kind of how many people prefer using a controller to play a action FPS although a mouse is much better.

Except that those people are nuts. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Release date announced - January 27th 2015

Day of the Tentacle Special Edition also announced for PS4/PC

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I didn’t notice any big difference between this remake and the original game. They look almost the same, but I guess they decided to remake it because it can be a problem to make it work on todays systems.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Wow… Officially disappointed. No way am I buying another copy of this, theres barely any noticeable difference. I mean look at Glottis!!! All those horrible sharp edges to his body. This is 2014 and THIS is what they come up with. I got over the fact the backgrounds can’t be redone but what about the character models?!

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-05-25

PM

I feel like people have been misled into thinking Grim Fandango was going to be a complete remake of the classic game

Grim Fandango Remastered is not a remake nor was it even meant to be

Its a restoration of the original game with better controls and some higher resolution textures. Tim Schafer himself said he did not want radially change anything out of respect for those who worked on the original games and he just wanted the original game to look nicer and play better

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I know that it’s a “remaster”. Have they remastered the character models (which clearly need remastering)... barely.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

They have put in higher res models and a whole new lighting system.

The whole point was to make the game available to new consoles and recent PC’s etc and considering it was announced at E3 in June and it is launching in Jan they only had 6 months to do the work.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Lucien21 - 06 December 2014 04:16 PM

They have put in higher res models

As I understand it, the character models are the original models, just with higher-res textures, better lighting, and probably some anti-aliasing or other processing applied. So I wouldn’t call them higher res models, as that could be confusing. It is true that the game is running in a higher resolution (which combined with anti-aliasing yields smoother-looking edges on the character models), but the polys of the models are the same. Tim Schafer answered a tweet about this in October.

Lucien21 - 06 December 2014 04:16 PM

and a whole new lighting system.

Yeah, the lighting looks much better. When Manny walks in at 14 seconds, that’s the original, non-remastered graphics (which is why Manny’s edges are so pixelated). It switches to the remastered graphics at 20 seconds, so you can see the transition at 18-20 seconds. That new lighting system is where the shadows from the window blinds on Manny are coming from. The shadow that Manny casts on the floor also becomes much cooler and more dramatic, elongated to account for the angle of the light through the window.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I think its pretty exciting prospect playing GF on a console. I’ve replayed the game at least 7 times on PC,I doubt I’d get bored playing it on PS4 just because it didn’t look much better than the original. Original looks good anyway, plus there’s some extra stuff thrown in hopefully.

Now, if only I had a PS4…;)

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

So they just announced they’re remastering Day of the Tentacle, too.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The lighting in that new trailer looks fantastic. I could have gone for new models, but as it stands it looks plenty good enough to merit a purchase.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The only model that just looks plain awful now is Glotiss. The rest are fine really as the game has always had a cartoon style to it.

The big thing for me though will be the UI. The older version is terrible for this and it rendered it impossible for me to enjoy.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top