• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

El Manny - 06 December 2014 03:18 PM

I didn’t notice any big difference between this remake and the original game. They look almost the same, but I guess they decided to remake it because it can be a problem to make it work on todays systems.

Works fine on win7,8 the aim is nextgen consoles.

Tad - 07 December 2014 12:03 AM

The only model that just looks plain awful now is Glotiss. The rest are fine really as the game has always had a cartoon style to it.

The big thing for me though will be the UI. The older version is terrible for this and it rendered it impossible for me to enjoy.

Residualvm mouse supported ui works fine,give it a try.

Caliburn - 06 December 2014 04:26 PM
Lucien21 - 06 December 2014 04:16 PM

They have put in higher res models

As I understand it, the character models are the original models, just with higher-res textures, better lighting, and probably some anti-aliasing or other processing applied. So I wouldn’t call them higher res models, as that could be confusing. It is true that the game is running in a higher resolution (which combined with anti-aliasing yields smoother-looking edges on the character models), but the polys of the models are the same. Tim Schafer answered a tweet about this in October.

Lucien21 - 06 December 2014 04:16 PM

and a whole new lighting system.

Yeah, the lighting looks much better. When Manny walks in at 14 seconds, that’s the original, non-remastered graphics (which is why Manny’s edges are so pixelated). It switches to the remastered graphics at 20 seconds, so you can see the transition at 18-20 seconds. That new lighting system is where the shadows from the window blinds on Manny are coming from. The shadow that Manny casts on the floor also becomes much cooler and more dramatic, elongated to account for the angle of the light through the window.

Overriding aa for 3d models was always available from driver settings,only remastered
aspects looks lighting and model’s texture so far.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tim is showing it on Twitch

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

Edit: It’s over. Lighting does look great. Didn’t see any new info. Twitch comments are the worse…

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Pretty disappointing. They could have done more than just tweak the lighting and re-release it. Nothing in the backgrounds or models looks one iota different. Even if they just put some kind of polishing post-production filters over the original stuff, that could have been neat. It doesn’t even look upscaled.

Oh well, great game as it is. This doesn’t strike me as anything a fan couldn’t do in his off time after school.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

at 1 point he switched from new to old mode and back, i though it was a pretty big difference.
Also, I rather see this endeavor to provide current gamers a version of GF that can run on current consoles, rather than a remake.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

jaap - 07 December 2014 04:02 PM

at 1 point he switched from new to old mode and back, i though it was a pretty big difference.

Replay the transition a couple times. You can see that absolutely nothing in the entire room changes, only the lighting (which is no doubt better). It’s just a little surprising how little this is “remastered” considering it’s a ~15 year old game.

Though, it’s ok they played it safe. I’d rather have this than a total downgrade like the Gabriel Knight remake.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I find the result of this remastered edition very good and clean (the lighting is excellent!), and I will play it without a doubt. Yet I can’t say I’m not disapointed (even if just a little). After they made such a big announcement, I was expecting new 3d models at least! Or maybe I missed something?

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Well, I was looking for a reason to buy a PS4, there it is!

(Hi everyone, I’m new Smile )

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

if you want to rewatch the twitch interview, go here:  http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/3591234 around the 1hr:55:24 mark

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

RockNFknRoll - 07 December 2014 11:13 PM
jaap - 07 December 2014 04:02 PM

Replay the transition a couple times. You can see that absolutely nothing in the entire room changes, only the lighting (which is no doubt better).

Around 2:04:40 (‘you were in classic mode’), with the scene with Glottis was the change I was referring to. I now realize that also Manny’s and Glottis’s character models have been updated, so in this scene the difference is big. But indeed, background remains the same.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m not sure if I’m going to purchase it again.

There’s not so much of an upgrade. I’d still want 16:4 aspect ratio. HD. Optional mouse control. It’s been 17 years since it came out. They could done the remastered version so much better..

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

coming January 27th 2015 on all platforms!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-10-22

PM

jannar85 - 08 December 2014 05:52 PM

I’m not sure if I’m going to purchase it again.

There’s not so much of an upgrade. I’d still want 16:4 aspect ratio. HD. Optional mouse control. It’s been 17 years since it came out. They could done the remastered version so much better..

They are adding all that. There’s mouse control and the old tank controls only tweaked to make them much more usable. It’ll be in HD, too. They can render the scene on a surface and scale it to fit the screen, so you don’t have to worry about it being a postage stamp in the middle of a sea of darkness. There may be black bars on the sides, but they are also going to add widescreen options, although I don’t think the backgrounds are being redone. However, they are much sharper and all of the dithering is gone.

There’s all kinds of bells and whistles being added to this remastered edition.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

New real-time lighting and AA looks great but I’m surprised they seem to be using the exact same meshes as in the original. I was hoping for brand new meshes, rigs and animations to lose the clipping that the original suffered so badly from.

That said, it looks great. Maybe less change is a good thing. Change too much and I’d be all grumpy about it!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m a bit disappointed they haven’t done that much to the character meshes. That fan made HR model mod works pretty well what I’ve seen of it, so something like that combined to the new light model would be very nice.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I was hoping for all those things mentioned above, plus at least new textures, goddamnit! But I’m thankful for getting the game all the same.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top