• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Daleseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Orange Brat - 11 June 2014 02:35 AM

If sequels/prequels ever come into play, I’d like to see more of a Telltale model. It would be nice to have small, bite sized episodes with each one being it’s own story. Or, something kind of like The Last Door, albeit with a bit more meat and game time thrown in.

I hope Disney will immediately revoke their license if they ever try something like that.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

The voice acting in Grim Fandango is great, but what about the legal obstacles? Don’t they have to pay the voice actors a second time over?

If I remember correctly, during the re-release of Silent Hill 2, they had to bring new voice actors in as it wasn’t possible to present with the original VAs, and legally they couldn’t release with original VOs without their explicit consent (I could be wrong about this though).

Regarding an earlier question about what ‘remastered’ means, I agree, this is a really important question. I really do hope they leave the pre-rendered graphics and character models the heck alone. I’m hoping it’s literally just the same game in HD, with the wall bouncing taken out (and whatever ever other controls need tweaking).

Also, I’m surprised they aren’t considering mobile phones as an option. One guy has already managed to unofficially port it to mobiles.

I hope Disney will immediately revoke their license if they ever try something like that.

+1

The TellTale model sucks mouldy cheese (IMO).

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m guessing it all depends on what kind of contracts Lucas managed to do with the actors back then. I’ve understood that during then game companies managed to get away with different kinds of agreements, as the game acting wasn’t yet governed by actors guild or something. I.e. the only reason why the original audio recordings weren’t used for Gabriel was, that the original recordings are lost and the ingame audio is compressed to hell.

Besides, I’m betting it will be much cheaper to shell out money to the original cast for the right to use their voices rather than do all brand new voice recording.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

After watching that feature, I think it sounds like minimal tinkering will happen.

Indeed. Since the remaster was announced with great fanfare at E3, I think maybe some people came to expect something very elaborate, but I don’t think that’s the plan.

Toward the end of the retrospective video, after describing all the fan patches made over the years, Tim says of the remaster that “This new version will hopefully take as much as we can of all that good stuff that’s been done to Grim over the last 15 years and put it together.”

This is just speculation, but to me that sounds like the remaster is:
* The original game, basically intact
* Probably running on ResidualVM or some modification thereof
* With some bug fixes
* Ported to platforms like PS4, PS Vita, and more that haven’t yet been announced
* Quite possibly with new camera-relative movement controls to replace or supplement the tank controls, and perhaps with Tobias Pfaff’s point-and-click control patch, especially if they intend to bring the remaster to PC and/or tablets eventually
* With as much added detail and resolution as DF can manage to patch into the game, a la Grim Fandango Deluxe, while still preserving the original artistic intent

It wouldn’t surprise me if a large portion of what Double Fine needs to do is actually work out all the legal contracts necessary to re-release Grim Fandango in this way, and get the game ported to PS4, PS Vita, and other platforms. I’m sure there will be plenty of art and technical tweaks needed as well to support the higher resolution (Grim Fandango Deluxe has been hampered in this regard and is an unfinished project), including things like improved in-game character models and textures. But I’m not anticipating an elaborate overhaul or a remake here, just a “perfected” version based largely on what’s out there already or in the original game. In my opinion, that’s good news, since that’s really all Grim Fandango needs, and too much mucking beyond that is risky.

Terramax - 11 June 2014 09:10 AM

Also, I’m surprised they aren’t considering mobile phones as an option.

Did they say they aren’t?

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Remastering usually means upscaling of the existing graphics to HD and a few tweaks. It’s not the same as a remake. That said, everything that can be done with a minimum of resources is possible, including new control modes.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’ll be interesting to see how far they will actually go. All the old game scenes could be re-rendered in higher resolution given, that the original 3D files still exist. Though they’ll still need to do some tweaking to them depending on what file format they’ve been made in and how well the new 3D software can import that data.

The realtime 3D models will be redone almost surely, but I doubt the actual art direction will change in them.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

If they have the original environment 3D files, I see no reason why they couldn’t load it up (barring no hiccups after 15+ years), and simply create new high resolution prerenders.

tomimt - 11 June 2014 02:08 PM

It’ll be interesting to see how far they will actually go. All the old game scenes could be re-rendered in higher resolution given, that the original 3D files still exist.

Out of curiosity, is there any indication the original 3D files still exist? I’d certainly hope so, and maybe the Lucas empire or some of its ex-employees were good about archiving, but many game companies have historically not been good about archiving.

For what it’s worth, the Grim Fandando Deluxe project (which doesn’t seem to be involved in the remaster since they talked about the news as if it was a surprise to them) was just going to hack the game files and raise it to a 1280x960 resolution, but the pre-rendered backgrounds weren’t going to look much better—it was mainly in-game characters that would be improved. I could easily see the official remaster doing similarly, and that’s enough to put the “remastered” or “HD” label on it.

But if the original 3D files exist, that would be great for making higher resolution pre-rendered backgrounds.

tomimt - 11 June 2014 02:08 PM

The realtime 3D models will be redone almost surely, but I doubt the actual art direction will change in them.

That’s my guess, too. Just to make them a bit more like the cinematic versions, with slightly better hands, etc., without breaking the original rig so animations stay intact.

It may also be nice to rebuild it and present two modes. One be a classic mode with static cameras and another that takes advantage of the realtime environment and allows for more of a transition between camera angles (as needed).

I think a drastic change like that is unlikely even if the original 3D files exist. It would add a lot of extra development and testing to make sure the new mode would function correctly, and I’m not sure it’s enough of a value add to warrant that. I’m not even sure if the engine’s capable of treating the environment as real-time. Since backgrounds were pre-rendered originally, the engine may not have much in the way of camera control or advanced rendering, so that would probably require rebuilding in a new engine. I guess that’s what you’re suggesting and it’s a potentially cool idea but expensive.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I would’t mind a 2dhd remake;)
for 3d on a ps4, i wonder if the buddha engine is good enough.
Time will tell i guess….

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Caliburn - 11 June 2014 02:18 PM

Out of curiosity, is there any indication the original 3D files still exist? I’d certainly hope so, and maybe the Lucas empire or some of its ex-employees were good about archiving, but many game companies have historically not been good about archiving.

I’m hoping they would, as that would make it possible to even re-render the cinematics to higher quality, but at least now there’s no real indication that Lucas was any better in reserving their history than Sierra was. Though Lucas did always keep good care of their movie related stuff, so hopefully they had all the needed files in their vaults as well.

They did seem to have origial concept art saved though, so fingers crossed.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow -

It also displays Disney’s willingness to make use of LucasArts’s IP, which surprises and excites me. They haven’t swept these games under the rug like Activision has done with Sierra and Infocom.

I’ve said it before: after they booted Eisner out, Disney has proven to be the most capable firm in Hollywood. They wouldn’t just “sit” on any IPs that could still make them money.
I’m still hopeful we’ll see the full LucasArts catalogue on GOG and/or Steam. Cool

nomadsoul -

Good excuse for Sequel(if sales are gonna be high).

No. Just no. Grim Fandango doesn’t need a sequel and I hope they never make one.
However, if a sequel DOES get made, it needs to be an entirely different story with entirely different characters, just within the same universe. And if they do that, they could just as easily make a standalone game with universe-similarities.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Totally unexpected and awesome news! I can’t wait to hear more details about how they’re going to remaster it and what it means.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

99.99% unlikely, but how cool would it be if they remade the game using Peter Chan’s art?

If they still have the original 3D models and assets (which I also think is unlikely considering this game is 16 years old), then theoretically they could do all kinds of interesting things—ie, re-render the background art to HD resolution, or even remake the game so that it can be played in real-time 3D. Of course, it depends on the scale of this project, and I imagine these options would entail a huge amount of work for them. So even if this was an option, I would be surprised if they had the time and resources. Then again, the headline “Sony and Double Fine to remaster Grim Fandango” was the last thing I expected to read ever, so who knows what crazy stuff they’re planning to do.

If they use the game’s original pre-rendered backgrounds, it would be nice if they could somehow “patch” additional art to the edges to allow for the game to be played widescreen without any stretching. This is a game that cries for widescreen. That would be enough to make me very, very happy.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

TimovieMan - 11 June 2014 03:44 PM

No. Just no. Grim Fandango doesn’t need a sequel and I hope they never make one.
However, if a sequel DOES get made, it needs to be an entirely different story with entirely different characters, just within the same universe. And if they do that, they could just as easily make a standalone game with universe-similarities.

^ This. I’d love to see a new game in the universe, but a true sequel, no, absolutely not.

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

DustCropper - 11 June 2014 07:44 PM

99.99% unlikely, but how cool would it be if they remade the game using Peter Chan’s art?

You know, that’s exactly what I’ve been hoping for since… 1998! If they actually did that, I’d be ecstatic beyond belief. I always felt bad for Peter Chan and how they desecrated his beatiful art by turning it into blocky first-wave 3D, stripping the art of all its charm, replacing it with rough edges and gigantic polygons. Even Shafer admitted to being reluctant about doing the original in 3D, because he just didn’t think it looked very good. When comparing the final product with the original artwork, it’s hard for me to have any other opinion than that the 3D overhaul was a serious graphical downgrade.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Dag - 12 June 2014 06:02 AM
DustCropper - 11 June 2014 07:44 PM

You know, that’s exactly what I’ve been hoping for since… 1998! If they actually did that, I’d be ecstatic beying belief. I always felt bad for Peter Chan and how they desecrated his beatiful art by turning it into blocky first-wave 3D, stripping the art of all its charm, replacing it with rough edges and gigantic polygons. Even Shafer admitted to being reluctant about doing the original in 3D, because he just didn’t think it looked very good. When comparing the final product with the original artwork, it’s hard for me to have any other opinion than that the 3D overhaul was a serious graphical downgrade.

So true Dag.

Hundreds of thousands of years were needed for a man to evolve from an ape, but it needed mere few decades of this consumer society to downgrade back.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top