• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #26: The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

diego - 11 February 2014 04:18 PM

The thing is, it’s not going anywhere. Haven’t you seen Ferdinand the Bull? Tongue

Laughing  Get Ferdinand the Yak a daisy! Or, possibly, a new hairdo.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

diego - 11 February 2014 12:36 PM

Hey, stop that! A charcoal art? It makes my notes look like a 5-year-old child’s doodle! Geez, do you guys need easels with your adventure notes? Gasp Grin

Er. It’s ordinary un-sharpened pencil. Smile My phone just takes unnecessarily high-res pictures, which might make it look bigger than it really is.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A funny thing happened - trying to determine the color of Khan’s flag in order to answer this quiz question, I realized I have no save game near the tent, but only in the maze. Trying to make my way to the temple/tent, I’ve accidentally popped out - right in the tent! Grin

Call me Gage the ninja, from now on. And thanx to Arthur, I’ve learned of another meme.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

harald - 10 February 2014 03:38 PM
rtrooney - 09 February 2014 07:20 PM

I, for one, didn’t find the FMV acting as “over the top” as many did. It was no better or worse than just about all of the FMV games of its era. Actually, I was MUCH better than some games of that era.

I agree to a certain extent. Most of the NPCs you speak to are fairly uncomplicated and, I suppose, easy to portray (fairly) well. It’s just a shame that the main characters, like the agents and - ugh - the commissioner, are so bad.

The all-time bad acting award for a FMV role played by a known actor goes to Tim Curry in Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (1995).

The Commissioner would have won an Oscar by comparison.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

rtrooney - 11 February 2014 06:54 PM

The all-time bad acting award for a FMV role played by a known actor goes to Tim Curry in Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (1995).

Tim Curry, eh? I think I’ll have to check that out. And regarding the commissioner, I don’t remember disliking him so much in the other games. I think he had less screen time in those, though.

And I think I may have realised what I dislike about the intermission cutscenes - they switch to a third person perspective. In the previous games, you were always looking through Gage’s eyes and the only times you saw him were in front of mirrors and when meeting future versions of yourself. Maybe I’m nitpicking but I do think it affects the immersion.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

China in adventures

Due to martial arts often connected to China, and numerous kung fu movies, Chinese setting has been mostly used in action, and especially fighting games. However, there have been some adventures utilising far east Asia as a theme:

Heart of China is a Sierra/Dynamix game, much similar in style to its counterpart Rise of the Dragon. It’s also one of the early FMV games featuring nice graphics.

Then, there’s Qin: Tomb of the Middle Kingdom, set in a modern-day but with plenty of educational value, specifically on Qin Empire, and China: The Forbidden City from the Cryo catalogue.

Lost Horizon (which is also the name of the novel mentioning Shangri-La) takes place both in Tibet and Hong Kong.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I haven’t played that, but bad Tim Curry is usually so bad he’s awesome. Cool
Not in this case?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

TimovieMan - 12 February 2014 04:15 PM

I haven’t played that, but bad Tim Curry is usually so bad he’s awesome. Cool
Not in this case?

I know what you mean. In Clue the movie, Tim Curry is outrageously over the top (as usual,) but tons of fun. I don’t know about his performance in the Frankenstein game, as I haven’t played it, but I’ve read before that his performance in it was truly abysmal. If you decide to try it anyway, please let me know what you think of it Wink

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Becky - 11 February 2014 02:29 PM

Nice emo yak!  Heart Eyes  How does it see where it’s going?

Re the Shangri La map: I found it helpful because if you use those levers to change the position of the round doors, the map reflects the changes.

Also, the round areas near the doors tell you which side has the lever. I had so much trouble working out what pathways would work until I realized that. D’oh!

How much popcorn would you need to use all that Yum  melted butter?  Sarcastic

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Salar Shushan - 12 February 2014 10:55 PM

How much popcorn would you need to use all that Yum  melted butter?  Sarcastic

You’d have to fill up the whole place. You could pop it over the steam tunnel vents.

Pummeling Gage:

From memory, these are the places that Gage gets smacked (maybe the explanation for his “angry eyes”?).

1. Coming up through the steam tunnels into Genghis Khan’s tent (in any guise). You are socked and fall back into the steam tunnel. Well, if you stay for longer than 2 seconds, anyway.
2. Coming to Genghis Khan’s tent from its front entrance and persisting in conversation in the guise of the pilgrim outside the gate or in the guise of the dob-dob. Khan loses patience. Again.
3. Going to the gate as Genghis Khan and using all dialog options. You are attacked and fall down the stairs.

Any others? I find it intriguing that Shangri La is so violent.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Your favorite maze in an adventure (or is that an oxymoron? Smile)

Even though it’s been criticized, I enjoyed Escape from Monkey Island swamp maze. Broken Sword 2 jungle was also interesting to navigate. As for the one of the least “fair” mazes around, I should mention Dragon Lore 2 - right after you crash in the forest, you’re presented with an “enchanted” maze. That sounds cool, until I spent few hours trying to draw the map when I realized it’s so enchanted that it changes itself on my each step. Grin

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 13 February 2014 03:35 AM

From memory, these are the places that Gage gets smacked (maybe the explanation for his “angry eyes”?).

At least he mastered the “landing” once Khan punches you, compared to the previous parts.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 13 February 2014 03:45 AM

Your favorite maze in an adventure

If you haven’t played Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life and (especially) Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time you don’t know how surreal, wacky and great mazes can be.

If you like mazes, that is.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t seen many wacky, surreal, great mazes but I don’t mind them unless they’re only solvable by trial-and-error. Like the big and excruciatingly tedious one in Dogday, which you must traverse three times. Shudder. Sick Good mazes with clever ways to avoid the maze boredom are the ones in Stupid Invaders, Myst, The Neverhood.

PS: I’m very sorry I haven’t contributed much to this CP. I’m playing the game and enjoying everybody else’s comments, but I still too far behind.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 13 February 2014 08:28 AM

Good mazes with clever ways to avoid the maze boredom are the ones in Stupid Invaders, Myst, The Neverhood.

I don’t remember a maze in The Neverhood - it’s time to replay it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top