• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #26: The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess I should post some overall thoughts on JP3. Well, it gets a “meh” from me. Shangri La was mostly enjoyable, but El Dorado was pretty bad and Atlantis wasn’t all that great either. If I had been playing by myself, I would probably have finished it, but without enthusiasm.

One thing that struck me about this game is that it doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. It owes much to Myst, but the locations feel incredibly small and drab. (Seriously, the fabled city of Atlantis was some sort of open-air sewer where people produce olive oil?! El Dorado is 5 guys in boring temples?!) It has puzzles, but they’re generally weak and feel like busywork. It has a lot of characters, but it doesn’t manage to make them interesting (or, more often than not, even likeable). That the game doesn’t even manage to use the fact that all those secondary characters are about to die the following day for the emotional punch just shows how weak the writing and characterization usually is. The overarching story is even weaker, the game seeming busier trying to undo everything it established in the two previous games than making the player care about the new story.

At the end of the day, it always boils down to the same question: why should you keep playing? If it’s not for the locations and exploration, not for the gameplay, not for the characters and not for the story, then what for? I’ve played enough games, and I’m obsessive enough about completing things, that not being aggressively awful is usually enough for me (and JP3 certainly wasn’t awful). But, well, meh.

(I realize now that I didn’t write anything about Arthur. I found him unfunny 80% of the time, grating 10% of the time and funny the remaining 10%. Once again, meh.)

Still, it wasn’t an unpleasant experience, the game had some good moments (mostly in Shangri La), and reading everyone else’s thoughts was fun and a great incentive to get back to the game. I understand that JP3 is quite different from the other two games in the series, so I’m not ruling out playing those at some point down the road.

And finally, I want to thank diego for doing a great job as playthrough leader, making sure that the thread always kept moving and that conversation always remained lively and interesting.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Am I the only one who liked the ferryman?
Feeding him coins wasn’t a big deal considering I had coins that magically reproduced themselves so I never ran out.
I was disappointed when the ferryman ran out of stories.
It would have been more interesting if there were alternate ways of getting around in Atlantis, like bridges, tunnels, or underground passages. Until the end of the chapter, the ferryman was your sole method of getting around. Although it doesn’t specifically say so in the game, I like to think that all the “2nd class” citizens managed to escape before Atlantis was blown up the next day.

I never found Arthur to be the least bit funny. Corny, yes. Full of “groaners.”
It was unfortunate that you couldn’t consult Arthur for historical information only. You couldn’t choose the type of thing he’d say. I’d click him to see if he had any historical information, and he’d come out with an unwanted hint or bad joke. The light bulb or cloud over his head didn’t seem to be specific for any one type of response. And even when set to “chatty” he didn’t have much historical information. I’d have been interested to know more about whether there was any actual evidence for the use of balloons in constructing Nazca lines. Did ancient peoples have a way of collecting gases that could be used for such balloons? Could they produce fabrics that were airproof? You have to seek out that information for yourself because Arthur certainly doesn’t tell you.
http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Articles&file=article&sid=96

Once you find the map in Shangri-La, and Arthur marks it for you, the maze isn’t that bad. I’d have preferred to spend more time in exotic locations above ground though. I liked the greenhouse and the temples.

I was disappointed by the visuals. Most locations seemed very generic—especially in Atlantis. I would have expected El Dorado to have more elaborate decor than what we saw. Isn’t El Dorado supposed to be “The City of Gold?” Where was the gold? I expected to see a lot more gilt decoration—especially indoors.

Even though the visuals were supposed to be “DVD quality,” they often seemed fuzzier than in some older games (older as in pre-1998).

This may be a game that doesn’t hold up as well with age.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 11 February 2014 02:29 PM

Re the Shangri La map: I found it helpful because if you use those levers to change the position of the round doors, the map reflects the changes.

Yes, but only after you spot the paintings above the door Angry

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 14 February 2014 01:56 PM

It was unfortunate that you couldn’t consult Arthur for historical information only. You couldn’t choose the type of thing he’d say. I’d click him to see if he had any historical information, and he’d come out with an unwanted hint or bad joke. The light bulb or cloud over his head didn’t seem to be specific for any one type of response. And even when set to “chatty” he didn’t have much historical information. I’d have been interested to know more about whether there was any actual evidence for the use of balloons in constructing Nazca lines. Did ancient peoples have a way of collecting gases that could be used for such balloons? Could they produce fabrics that were airproof? You have to seek out that information for yourself because Arthur certainly doesn’t tell you.
http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Articles&file=article&sid=96

As my wife often tells me, and she does this often ... “It’s a game!” She also says “It’s a movie!” and “It’s a TV show!” whenever I point out some inaccuracy. So, looking to Arthur for some historical reference to what is a fantasy world is asking for a lot.

Atlantis and it’s myths are generally accepted to be based on the ancient Minoan civilization. Hard to tell what life was like as the latter was literally destroyed by a pre-written-history volcanic eruption.

Was hot air balloon flight possible? The heat from a tea candle can lift a paper balloon weighing half as much as the candle and keep it aloft for a fair length of time. The technology was available. Did they use it or, as the History Channel in the US asks, were they aided and abetted by aliens from another world?

Should we believe that the great Genghis Kahn set up shop in a tent outside a temple in Tibet as opposed to conquering and plundering Asia? Or should we believe he did what he did and is buried in Mongolia as his biographers believe?

Doesn’t matter to me. It’s a game!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Am I the only one who liked the ferryman?
Feeding him coins wasn’t a big deal considering I had coins that magically reproduced themselves so I never ran out.
I was disappointed when the ferryman ran out of stories.
It would have been more interesting if there were alternate ways of getting around in Atlantis, like bridges, tunnels, or underground passages. Until the end of the chapter, the ferryman was your sole method of getting around. Although it doesn’t specifically say so in the game, I like to think that all the “2nd class” citizens managed to escape before Atlantis was blown up the next day.

I liked the Ferryman. He’s fairly nice to everyone, even the beggar, and he smiles about constantly. Its a nice smile Smile

Yes, I was glad that the coins constantly replenished too, though I wondered if he was really getting anything at all from us. It seemed odd that these coins were the only object we couldn’t use up. Maybe it was a projection from Arthur/the Chameleon Jumpsuit that fooled him into thinking we paid him over and over. Naughty

You could just see him waking up on a hill the next day. Wow, he just did escape with his life. At least he has all those coins from that last big day of ferrying folks around. *checks his pockets and finds exactly 1 coin* Nnnnooooooo! Foot in mouth

I never found Arthur to be the least bit funny. Corny, yes. Full of “groaners.”

This may be a game that doesn’t hold up as well with age.

I guess its a matter of taste. I enjoyed a lot of the bad puns, and a number of pop refs. Given most of them are for the 1990’s, I expect Gage would find Arthur more annoying than we would. Tongue I didn’t actually laugh a whole lot, but I found Arthur’s chatter friendly and companionable.

As for the graphics, yes, of course many scenes now look fairly crude, but I adjusted my thinking fairly easily. In a way, the FMV makes the bad graphics stand out more, but in another it adds really good-looking NPCs. Computers still have trouble making digital equivalents as nice as they were/are.    Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Some Shangri-La trivia:

- When speaking to pilgrim, “Howdy, pilgrim” references John Wayne’s “pilgrim phrases”, most notoriously found in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

- After you’re left unconscious in front of the tent, Arthur says: “Don’t just lie there like a bum!”, possibly referencing coach Mickey in Rocky: “You’re a bum, Rock. You’re a bum.”

- Speaking of which, if you do persist on talking with Khan inside the tent, you’ll eventually see ducks above your head, one of many secrets & easter eggs.

- The actor who plays the gardener played the Tibetan monk in Ace Ventura 2, wearing almost the same red/orange outfit!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

LOL at cartoon ducks for a dizzy Gage Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 11 February 2014 02:29 PM

Re the Shangri La map: I found it helpful because if you use those levers to change the position of the round doors, the map reflects the changes.

Speaking of the steam puzzle, isn’t the gardener one of the biggest red herrings ever? Gasp Or, am I wrong? After he mentions the temperature, I thought it’s the same puzzle as with the melted Buddha, and first I’ve tried to focus the heat to the greenhouse, and when it didn’t work I tried to block the heat. The solution is, of course, to heal the roots, and now I’m not sure if heat has anything to do with it? Grin

Anyway, even though I’m not a maze lover, I enjoyed this one - and it’s pretty challenging compared to the most of the previous puzzles, especially without Arthur’s help, and while there’re no visual hints. It also reminded me of some other game where you need to do something similar, but I still can’t remember it.

I’d have been interested to know more about whether there was any actual evidence for the use of balloons in constructing Nazca lines.

Yes, and it would be convenient if I had a book on balloon technique nearby as I would solve the balloon puzzle easier. Tongue Still, in this game we actually visit those places, so designers had to make choices that would represent the era. When reading through early balloons articles over internet, they say it’s probable pre-Columbian cultures used balloons but it’s not a fact. So, the designers of this game say - yes, they used balloons Smile and since it’s not really a heavy edutainment, they don’t explain it further apart from presenting the balloon technique variations. (it was easier for designers in JP2 - there you visit actual places and I believe Arthur is even more history-oriented).

Kurufinwe - 14 February 2014 11:06 AM

And finally, I want to thank diego for doing a great job as playthrough leader

Thumbs Up Thanx to everyone who took part in the playthrough, and followed it even though if they didn’t seem to like the game that much! Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 January 2014 03:25 AM
wilco - 23 January 2014 07:38 PM

And did we just go back in time to blunder those poor guys only escape option from Atlantis, not to mention destroying all the pots from the potter? Smile

I started feeling bad about that too, but then I remembered that they were all going to die in the alien attack the following day anyway.

Don’t you find interesting that each time zone has a neat underground system solid enough to take the nuclear strike, not to mention a wimpy alien attack? Tongue Though, as someone had already noticed, put 2 people at the same time in Shangri-La tunnels, and there’s a big chance one will lock the other for good. Grin

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I finished the game.

The steam tunnel puzzle still gave me a bit of trouble, even though I knew basically what I had to do. It’s fairly picky in that you have to close off every branch on the path from the first steam cave to the wax room (i.e. you’re not allowed to have any short “dead-end” branches for some reason). My first try was to create a path through all three caves to the wax room, and when that didn’t work I started closing off the first cave. I think when I played the game for the first time, I gave up on this puzzle after creating that path through all the caves and not getting any feedback at all. Arthur’s not much help here either, he just tells you what you’ve already figured out - not the details on how to do it.

It’s funny how Arthur’s hints always spell out the exact puzzle solutions if you click him enough times, except for the two most difficult puzzles in the game; the steam tunnels and the Legacy puzzle at the end.

I still think the ending is underwhelming, and there are some things that seem unclear and rushed. Everything just happens by itself, and sort of just peters out into nothing. The aliens about to shoot each other watch Gage spinning in a column of light and speaking in tongues, and just agree to give up and go home? Okay.

And what’s with the Quo’thalas (sic?) vomiting out another Cyrollan-looking alien. The other Cyrollans seem surprised at that. Is it supposed to be a plot twist, that the Quo’thalas are actually close relatives to the Cyrollans and the latter species weren’t aware? What does it mean!?

I’m still not saying I don’t like the game, though. I really do, despite some trite puzzle design. I just think the second game is more deserving of being considered the series’ best.

Thanks for the playthrough, folks (and thanks diego for leading)! I hope I’ll be able to join the next one too.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

harald - 16 February 2014 01:38 PM

I just think the second game is more deserving of being considered the series’ best.

Can we play that one next?

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Just kidding, just kidding…

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m stuck for 2 days at the Humans Realm - the last piece of stone. Meh And the funny thing, I’m not even sure anymore if I managed to finish the game back then (or is it that I just overused Arthur’s light bulbs) as I don’t remember much of the puzzles. Speaking of which, I really like that Shangri-La (and previous two parts, with a somewhat less number of puzzles) is full of those “AHA! moments. JP3 might not be the hardest/most ingenious puzzle-wise, but at the most times when I felt I had an idea for a puzzle solution, I was already smiling knowing that it’s the right one.

Once again - thanks to everyone, you’ve really brought the game/playthrough to life, and for us truants the playthrough is still open in its unofficial form. Cool (then again, in how many playthroughs you’ve been where you finished the game before the playthrough leader?)

As for everyone who managed to finish it - you should really continue with the “reverse” tradition now, and play the fan-favorite JP2 - if you didn’t particularly like JP3, perhaps JP2 will be better to your taste, and if you did like it - Arthur awaits you once again!

Now, carrying that bowl with melted butter for a few days, and reading Wikipedia:

“Once the container is opened, yak butter will begin to decompose producing veins of blue mold similar to blue cheese”

I wonder if I should be stuck for a couple of days more until I get Gorgonzola or something (not that I would know what to do with it). Though, I’d rather just spill it and see will the empty bowl work. Angry (it frustrates me that in JP3 you can get liquids in any kind of container you carry, but there’s nowhere to empty it Frown)

Now, Advie, Karlok, SD… where are you in the game? Cool

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

You are NOT going to escape this time diego. You WILL finish this playthrough before the voting of the next one.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 18 February 2014 07:14 AM

Now, Advie, Karlok, SD… where are you in the game? Cool

Right behind you, my leader!

Sefir - 18 February 2014 12:18 PM

You are NOT going to escape this time diego. You WILL finish this playthrough before the voting of the next one.

LOL!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top