• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #26: The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I started El Dorado. My adventure in this area didn’t last long. For the first time in the game I was forced to look at a walkthrough. Arthur was of no help.

After talking with the first guard I went outside and found the rope tethering the guard’s balloon. Nothing in my inventory would cut the rope. The walkthrough told me to use the knife I found in Shangri La. I did go there and found the knife. I don’t know if it was plain blind luck or whether I was in some way forced to find it by the game’s design.

Things proceeded fine since then. But it makes me wonder whether the correct sequence should have been Atlantis/Himalayas/Andes and not Atlantis/Andes/Himalayas.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Salar Shushan - 26 January 2014 10:28 PM

Thanks for that! I did wonder. I just played the video and made my mother very happy. She remembers the song from her childhood Smile Cool

Thumbs Up There’s another instance in El Dorado when Arthur sings, but I forgot what it was… I remember he said afterwards: “You’re not singing, Gage!” which cracked me up Tongue

Speaking of which, I can’t remember laughing so hard (well, probably in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon) than while Arthur speaking slower and slower in the temple… that was pure gold. Smile

AND speaking of which, I love the fact that the while comments/hints are spoken, you can freely explore the area and do other things. I always appreciate these small details in games, like in some games, that you can browse through your inventory/hold item while the hero is walking, without interrupting the game or stopping the character.

harald - 27 January 2014 09:34 AM

I didn’t play the DVD version that GOG seems to have.

Even though there’re no major differences, you should probably give it the whirl - cutscenes are really of a high quality.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished El Dorado after the above-mentioned problem. This is a very short segment. Once you get past the problem there’s less than an hour of gameplay left…until you get to go to Shangri La.

It’s Monday in middle America! I can’t do anything for more than a week! For those who are waiting as I am I suggest a Casual Game playthrough that mirrors the one we are playing. I would recommend House of 1000 Doors - The Palm of Zoroaster. It’s got time travel and visits at least one of the venues.

I would be interested in in the thoughts of those that play both regarding the comparative difficulty of the puzzles.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

rtrooney - 27 January 2014 08:09 PM

For those who are waiting as I am I suggest a Casual Game playthrough that mirrors the one we are playing. I would recommend House of 1000 Doors - The Palm of Zoroaster. It’s got time

I don’t own that one. When I finish El Dorado, I will go back to working on Legend of Kyrandia 1 or maybe Mom and I will finally finish up Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water’s Edge. We’ve been playing that game off and on for many months. Starting to feel like we moved in permanently to that ryokan, but we should see the end soon. Crazy  Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You can always try to find same secrets & easter eggs. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-06-26

PM

Took me awhile to figure out how to get past the guard.. lol.
Afterward I kept wanting to help him down so he would not be left hanging Laughing

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Yep, he’s still hanging on. Poor guy. Grin

I sort of wish that each part could be played independently but I guess that would have made it too easy. Meh

Great cultural reference to Dick WilsonSmile

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I watched the cinematics again, and I think I’m getting a better idea of what’s going on. I’ve spoken to the Shaman, and received a lot of info—also a lot from the painter. I think that story details are dependent upon talking to everyone using everyone else’s guise. Some characters will only talk at length to specific people (or in the case of El Dorado, to a child).

It’s intriguing that both the Atlantis and El Dorado cultures have similar religious stories in their backgrounds, and that both anticipate the death of their cities. I still haven’t adjusted to talking to people who are all about to die. I wanted to help the guard dangling from his balloon too, but couldn’t figure out a way. And in Atlantis, I tried to shut the door to the water before taking the artifact, but the game wouldn’t let me.

It’s as if Gage can only do what he MUST do—anything else, and he risks changing the timeline too much? But if he’d never been there—wouldn’t that door in Atlantis remained closed until the right time—and wouldn’t the fellow with the balloon have kept it on the ground?

Every time period seems to require at least one item from another time period, so the designers apparently want the gamers to go back and forth between them. I’m not sure why, except perhaps to increase the difficulty?

And a logistical question—how did Agent Three make it to all these places she wants Gage to see. Didn’t she leave her time jumpsuit, corrupted by Arthur’s presence, in Atlantis, after seeing the first spaceship? How did she jump through time to leave traces for Gage to follow in order to meet her at Vega Thalon? Does she own a second jumpsuit?

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Becky - 28 January 2014 06:15 PM

It’s intriguing that both the Atlantis and El Dorado cultures have similar religious stories in their backgrounds, and that both anticipate the death of their cities.

More than intriguing. If I were Gage I would be really slow to hand over those artifacts to Cyrollans. The religious tales seem to be saying that the legacy was given by the Sosiqui to humans (or maybe the Sosiqui were humans/humanoid and humans are descended from them.) These hding places were made exactly to hide them from the Cyrollans and the Quo’Thalas, suggesting that neither race was trusted with those powers. I don’t know if they count as the sun or the moon children, but the Cyrollan team we saw shooting up Shangra-La were not very friendly to mankind back then. It makes you wonder if their later efforts to bring humanity into the Symbiotry was mostly aimed at persuading humans to hand over those relics if they ever found them.

And a logistical question—how did Agent Three make it to all these places she wants Gage to see. Didn’t she leave her time jumpsuit, corrupted by Arthur’s presence, in Atlantis, after seeing the first spaceship? How did she jump through time to leave traces for Gage to follow in order to meet her at Vega Thalon? Does she own a second jumpsuit?

I wondered about that too. Either she did all this jumping around before sending back the suit - and left the messages with Arthur hoping Gage would succeed later - (meaning she and Arthur had been arguing for a lot longer than it sounded like] or she has some other technology she can still access which is allowing her to send messages to the Chameleon Suit/Arthur without being entirely traceable. Neither seems all that likely so I’ll just hum the MST3K theme song and let it go Wink

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

RayB - 28 January 2014 04:43 PM

I sort of wish that each part could be played independently but I guess that would have made it too easy. Meh

Or too “linear” Many “Myst-clones” feature completely separate areas (they’re not related puzzle-wise), so it’s refreshing in a way. But I agree it would have been more comfortable for the playthrough… although I like how, while you’re focused on one time zone, you must not completely forget about the others. Actually, I was going to gripe that, in the first section, there could be more “cross-jumping”, though I guess overdoing it wouldn’t also bode well.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s as if Gage can only do what he MUST do—anything else, and he risks changing the timeline too much?

Since I’ve not played this game before, (I did play TJP2,) I can only assume that since he saw the destruction of the three civilizations, whatever he does is not going to have any significant impact in their time.

Every time period seems to require at least one item from another time period, so the designers apparently want the gamers to go back and forth between them. I’m not sure why, except perhaps to increase the difficulty?

As I mentioned in a prior post, I think the order of play the designers intended for us is slightly different than the order we are currently playing. Ergo, my problem wouldn’t have existed if we had played Himalaya before Andes. Not a problem since I kind of enjoyed the unanticipated distraction.

Don’t know! But, as my wife points out when I spot something totally illogical in a movie or a TV show…She say’s “It’s only a movie!” Smile My guess is that she, Agent Three, not my wife, may have visited all three environments before we saw the opening cut scenes. Why should we assume that nothing happened prior to the beginning of this game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Winfrey - 28 January 2014 01:00 PM

Took me awhile to figure out how to get past the guard.. lol.
Afterward I kept wanting to help him down so he would not be left hanging Laughing

As I get email alerts for replies in this thread I was able to see what you wrote. But, In real time it is almost impossible to read yellow text on a white background.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just found the time to start the second chapter (at last!!).
I’m serching for a knife or somehting right now to distract the guard. I believe I’ll finish El Dorado in a few hours though. Smile

Total Posts: 4258

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 29 January 2014 06:21 AM

I’m serching for a knife or somehting right now to distract the guard.

Hey, hey, hey… spoiler tags, please!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

What is your favorite “pre-Columbian culture” game (any genre)?

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is the first Windows 95 game, even though I originally played it on Sega. I’ve never played earlier games in the series, but this one blew my socks off - it’s one of the greatest platformers in the spirit of Indiana Jones, leaping your way through the Amazonian jungles, lagoons, mines… and the character motion is just great.

As for the adventure games, it might not be my favorite game, but I had a great time playing Gold and Glory: The Road to El Dorado. I’ve played it prior to watching the animated movie, which I also found enjoyable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top