• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I was never all that impressed with BS1 and BS2, and BS3 has been sitting on my list of games to play for years now (never could get my copy to work, haven’t tried on this PC yet, though). BS4 doesn’t interest me.

But I still hope that this campaign makes it (and it’s already looking good). When it comes out and gets favourable reviews, I’ll then be among the few people left to actually BUY the game (like with Double Fine’s Adventure)... Tongue

And then I hope the game pretends BS4 didn’t get made, because I have no intention of playing that game… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

believe me no one has neither will it be suggested to others when the suggestion includes BS games.

ok a couple of hours away from 100.000$.very good for the first day…considering it was half a day really.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

With 100k being reached this fast there should be no problems with doubt about this project getting funded or not. Really looking forward to getting to know what further stretch goals might result in Grin

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well there was no doubt 2 hours after it kickstarted Tongue….now it’s just granted it’s gonna happen.the question is how much better can they do their job if they raise a million.i think it’s the least they can get….

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

orient - 23 August 2012 10:37 AM

I’ll be pledging at the $100 level to get the boxed version. So happy to see George and Nico back in action Grin

The backgrounds look gorgeous. As for the characters, I’m usually not a fan of this type of cel shading, but I was surprised to see how expressive George and Nico were in motion. I think it’s a good compromise, as HD 2D animation is obviously impossible with Revolution’s resources.

Same issues here, looks pixar and disney type cartoony, the feeling of Dave gibbons
comic tone is missing, well Cecil needs to hire just one right guy to do the art with
sensibility to mimic old style, its just about headhunting and finding right guy.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

Went for the $50 option. ^^

If only it got me the AMAZING keyring though. I could bump it up to $100 but no higher and I still wouldn’t get it then.  Cry

Still, the things I will be getting are damn-right breathtaking in awesomeness. Grin All of the game design documents, director’s commentaries, the history of Broken Sword book etc - as such a huge fan, I’m thrilled and fascinated. I WANT NOW!!

Yeah, I see a lot of people hating on the character design, I was a bit put off by the way they looked at first but now I think they look pretty good. Smile The backgrounds look they should be hung in an art gallery though - they look sooooo great.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

if the old team is back….no wonder the backgrounds are so good.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2006-05-22

PM

donating what i can. very excited. the original was the best adventure game of all time.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Seriously, even the BS3 model would look better:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

for george…i think nico is good.what they need to do is tone down the lighting on the 3D models a bit and they won’t stick out as much.or a filter of some sort for the 2D stills that takes some of the brightness.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

jhetfield21 - 23 August 2012 06:45 PM

for george…i think nico is good.what they need to do is tone down the lighting on the 3D models a bit and they won’t stick out as much.or a filter of some sort for the 2D stills that takes some of the brightness.

Nico does look good, its george face is sticking out, he needs longer hair on forehead
larger ears, reduced jawline width and chin is too wide , pause and look at it when on closeup, people funding it should forward the message to team. Hair, jaw and chin i don’t think rest of the 2D vs 3D complaints will change anything now since game is halfway through.

The problem is not whether game will be good or bad, it won’t be , cannot be better than original, thats false promise and even Cecil knows it.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

nomadsoul - 23 August 2012 07:10 PM

The problem is not whether game will be good or bad, it won’t be , cannot be better than original, thats false promise and even Cecil knows it.

Uhhh… why can’t it be?

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

I’m not sure about being “better” but of the same quality - sure it can!

lol You know, when George said “Paris in the spring”, I suddenly found myself with a gigantic smile on my face. xD

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

If there’s one thing Kickstarter has taught me, people can become experts (or armchair/keyboard critics) on game design and development overnight.

I don’t get all the complaints. The animation and characters look great. I love the compromise of modern technology and throwback feel. Revolution has a style and atmosphere they’re aiming for. They know what imagery and animation will suit the story better than anyone else.

You want them to just put out a game similar in graphics and technology to BS1 and 2? Good luck getting people to pledge for that.

Everyone is free to have their opinions and comments, but all I see with so many of these projects is people looking for reasons to NOT pledge. Looking for any flaws. Looking for ways to step up and say, “Hey, this isn’t what I was expecting!”

Cecil and his team want to challenge themselves. They want to do something new while bringing in the old fans and luring the new. Just doing more of the same doesn’t seem to interest designers from a creative standpoint (unless you want rehashed Call of Duty sequels - how has that worked out for fostering innovation in the gaming industry?).

Game designers are not in the nostalgia business. They’re in the game business. That means taking risks and trying new things. Results will vary, but if these guys put their heart and soul into something who am I to criticize it based off a first impression because the animation doesn’t match exactly what I think it should be?

I saw a suggestion on the previous page to complain enough at kickstarter and convince Cecil to revert to the BS1/2 graphics. LOL, absolutely ridiculous and irrational. Yea, he’s going to throw away six months of design and production because a small group of people don’t want to grow out of their nostalgia.

This game is going to be incredible in HD. The 2.5D or whatever we call them animation models are an interesting concept and I’m excited to see how Revolution uses it. The gameplay is probably going to be very similar to BS1/2, but the modern animation gives them more tools for conveying the characters and telling the story. If that’s what Cecil and Revolution decided to use, there’s probably a pretty good reason. I’ll trust in their development process.

If there’s been one drawback during the kickstarter craze, it’s been the entitlement that the adventure gaming community has espoused so fervently.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This seems like it will be the best looking game out of all of the adventure series getting rebooted. I’m down for a boxed copy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top