• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I’ll be pledging at the $100 level to get the boxed version. So happy to see George and Nico back in action Grin

The backgrounds look gorgeous. As for the characters, I’m usually not a fan of this type of cel shading, but I was surprised to see how expressive George and Nico were in motion. I think it’s a good compromise, as HD 2D animation is obviously impossible with Revolution’s resources.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Very excited about this. Even though I’m not digging the 3D characters (never was a fan of Pendulo) it’s still so much better in design than both 3 and 4 so I can’t complain too much Smile

My only real complaint is that George looks… wrong? His hair and facial structure is off somehow. I remember him having a more clear cut jaw, not this slightly pudgy face.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The $100 and $50 levels are really packed with a lot of goodies. Nice rewards.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m definitely going for the $100 level - too good to pass up. I’d like to go for $250 but it’s a bit too expensive to pay an extra $150 just to be able to rant once a month about my dislike for the 3D characters directly to the developers Tongue

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-08-17

PM

I’m not a huge fan of George new look either.
Characters look much better in Pendulo’s games.

As much as I like Broken Sword (well, the first two episodes), I’m am completly depressed to see that it has gotten more plege in one hour than Pendulo in one month. :-(

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I’ve already pledged the 100$ and as far as george goes yes…his hair needs some more volume especially at the front,this being a good example ....at the kickstarter poster he looks awful.and teh structure seems weird because it’s different from the old one.i think his chin and cheeks need a bit of volume too,check this out.

but i agree with orient the animations where pretty rich.

also did you notice this in the article about the rejection of a big publisher:

Broken Sword 5 is a return to the series’ 2D roots, albeit with 3D cut-scenes – a sign of the freedom the Kickstarter model has afforded the reformed development team.

oh and Tongue:

Cecil has promised to avoid box-pushing puzzles too.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-04-26

PM

Am I the only one who feels the character sprites and new art style make the game look like a comedy? I really wish they’d just go back to BS2 style graphics and art style but make it a bit crisper for 2012.

Really not a fan of this 2.5D style.

Needless to say I’ll be pledging though.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I loved the 2.5D art style and the character models/movements. I think this will look great in its final form.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I have so little money at the moment, but I’m going to beg/borrow or steal to get in at the $100 level before end Sep! Suddenly the fact that our fridge freezer stopped working yesterday doesn’t seem so urgent anymore! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

1/8th of the goal is cleared in mere hours….that should say something.i think this is gonna be another Double Fine phenomenon.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I love Kickstarter. I’m not gonna try to be cool by saying that I’m “tired” of it.

Finally a true sequel! I agree that the characters look a bit strange though lol. They can still work on it. Definitely gonna pledge this one.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

Apparently the reason for the delays were that Rev had to set up a US company or something so they could use KS.  Cool

Now to decide how much to pledge! lol

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

J.H - 23 August 2012 12:11 PM

Am I the only one who feels the character sprites and new art style make the game look like a comedy? I really wish they’d just go back to BS2 style graphics and art style but make it a bit crisper for 2012.

Really not a fan of this 2.5D style.

Needless to say I’ll be pledging though.

I’m not hooked either - let your voice be heard in the comments on Kickstarter, if enough people complain they might change it!

And if they don’t, hey, at least it’s better than 3 and 4 :-)

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

From their KS FAQ:

“When we started thinking about the project, we wanted to get as close as possible to the original feel in HD. But HD on, for example, the iPad3 is over three times the original resolution both horizontally and vertically - 10 times as many pixels. We did experiment with an artist creating the character animations but it would simply have taken too long to create them. Personally I am pleased with the 2.5D look - we do model and animate in 3D but then pre-render to get as close to 2D as we can. Apologies if this wasn’t clear enough in how we described the project.”

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

(click for bigger size)

As it is, it’s not bad, but just slightly falls bellow the charm of the original. Now, I’m not really sure but you can hear it in the interview about characters being transfered from 3D to 2D, and also - if you can read German see this - http://www.adventurecorner.de/pages/497/baphomets-fluch-5-der-suendenfall-erste-fakten mainly this part:

To achieve this, the characters are modeled in 3D, animated and then rendered.  This process, as stated by Charles Cecil quite time consuming, so you are not able to see, to calculate the animation until the planned date of publication of this quality in real time. A taste of the animation features, the campaign video at Kickstarter. Cecil describes it: “The result feels like a cartoon on and like it came from the past, but it still looks very contemporary.

Apparently, if Google Translate doesn’t lie - what we’re seeing is not the final touch on the characters. I’d still wish a proper 2D, though. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top