• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I LOVE GK2, I think it’s amazing and super unique. I could replay it endlessly. And I still think GK3 might be the best AG of all time.

I’m excited about the remake, but I love the original so much I’m worried it will lose some of its soul in some way. The screenshots are beautiful, but kinda overdone. I fear it will look like other generic third person AGs from the last few years.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

RockNFknRoll - 23 October 2013 02:55 AM

I LOVE GK2, I think it’s amazing and super unique. I could replay it endlessly. And I still think GK3 might be the best AG of all time.

I’m excited about the remake, but I love the original so much I’m worried it will lose some of its soul in some way. The screenshots are beautiful, but kinda overdone. I fear it will look like other generic third person AGs from the last few years.

I think the environments so far look gorgeous, even though they’re very different from the original game and it might change the feel (but hey, that could be seen as a slight new experience, then).

My biggest fear is how the characters will look, because even though many newer games have amazing background art they then often ruin it with clunky, ugly 3D models that doesn’t fit in at all.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 October 2013 06:05 AM

My biggest fear is how the characters will look, because even though many newer games have amazing background art they then often ruin it with clunky, ugly 3D models that doesn’t fit in at all.

This^.

I would be superhappy if the characters were animated traditionally, but in all likeliness, what we’ll get is what you described above Meh

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 October 2013 06:05 AM

Well the Gabriel model is actually shown in one of the screenshots and it also looks extremely good. The concern is more about how the animation will be at this point. Since they’ve used motion capture I’m not to worried about that either. This project has enormous potential.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dag - 24 October 2013 07:08 AM

I would be superhappy if the characters were animated traditionally, but in all likeliness, what we’ll get is what you described above Meh

Unfortunately, the character modeling in JJ’s latest, Gray Matter, didn’t, IMO, show a great deal of improvement over what we saw in GK3. I hope for much more improvement this time around, but time will tell.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

rtrooney - 25 October 2013 06:27 PM
Dag - 24 October 2013 07:08 AM

Unfortunately, the character modeling in JJ’s latest, Gray Matter, didn’t, IMO, show a great deal of improvement over what we saw in GK3. I hope for much more improvement this time around, but time will tell.

I’m playing GK3 right now, and I can safely say that it looks like dogshit compared to Gray Matter.  Not that Gray Matter looks amazing or anything, but comparing the two is kind of silly.  Wink

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Silly? Only because we’re comparing JJ games. I’ll give you that Gray Matter is marginally better than GK3 re: 3D character modeling. But not by much. I thought that both were quite bad.

And I am really trying to keep this comment zeroed in on my opinion of the graphic quality versus my opinion of the games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I just meant that GK3 is REALLY hard on the eyes—Gray Matter looks at least as good as the average PS2 game.  The pre-rendered backgrounds look leaps and bounds better.  Characters probably less so, though.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 26 October 2013 12:57 AM

I just meant that GK3 is REALLY hard on the eyes—Gray Matter looks at least as good as the average PS2 game.  The pre-rendered backgrounds look leaps and bounds better.  Characters probably less so, though.

You can actuslly make GK3 look a bit better by using a custom resolution, you need to knife register to do that though. But the game does look a tad better in full HD, despite the model and texture fidelity is what it is.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I shudder just by the thought of playing GK3 because, like Lambonius said, it looks like utter dogshit, and I get a bit nauseous looking at it. While Gray Matter’s graphics certainly could be better, I don’t see how anyone could argue that it hasn’t been improved leaps and bounds from GK3. Visually, I’d place GK3 in the same cathegory as Simon 3D (which is a cathegory I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole) Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GK3 isn’t now where as horrible looking game as Simon 3D is. Simon 3D was a result of bad choices, where as GK3 was at least meant to be a 3D game from the start. But yeah, the time hasn’t been gentle with it, nor many other 90’s real time 3D games for the matter.

(I would jump up and down from joy if Big Finish would release a HR versions of older tex murphy titles, with a bit beefed up modeling and texturing, and FMV as well given that they still do have the original films)

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I always find it odd when people trash GK3’s graphics. I mean, they’re obviously rough, and far from beautiful, but I always thought they’re quite easy on the eyes and at least it’s very clear (like, many games are totally a mess about what some things are even supposed to be).

And the facial expressions on the characters are better than many games even today. I mean, facial expressions that matched the quality of GK3 wouldn’t be seen for like a decade or something, and still even many quite top-level games lack a certain… naturalness that GK3 has, even if they are maybe more diverse and so.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

This is worrisome to me. Everything looks plastic and clean, not the warm, rich hand drawn look like the original. GK looks like a Ken Doll, there’s little character to him. Reminds me of Secret Files or something, and I don’t want it to remind me of any modern AG.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

UPtimist - 26 October 2013 11:00 AM

I always find it odd when people trash GK3’s graphics. I mean, they’re obviously rough, and far from beautiful, but I always thought they’re quite easy on the eyes and at least it’s very clear (like, many games are totally a mess about what some things are even supposed to be).

And the facial expressions on the characters are better than many games even today. I mean, facial expressions that matched the quality of GK3 wouldn’t be seen for like a decade or something, and still even many quite top-level games lack a certain… naturalness that GK3 has, even if they are maybe more diverse and so.

I pretty much agree with this. I never had an issue with the GK3 graphics. They are not beautiful but they are very functional and playable.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

RockNFknRoll - 27 October 2013 05:24 PM

This is worrisome to me. Everything looks plastic and clean, not the warm, rich hand drawn look like the original. GK looks like a Ken Doll, there’s little character to him. Reminds me of Secret Files or something, and I don’t want it to remind me of any modern AG.

That definetly is the worst of the BG images presented, but I think it also might be some older WIP version of the scene just to show up Gabriels model, which is the main focus there. The rest of the BG pics shown have been of much more higher quality.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top