• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

millenia - 27 October 2013 05:41 PM

[I pretty much agree with this. I never had an issue with the GK3 graphics. They are not beautiful but they are very functional and playable.

I think this may go back to one of my comments, “I’ll give you that Gray Matter is marginally better than GK3 re: 3D character modeling. But not by much. I thought that both were quite bad.” Somehow this has mutated into a conversation about GK3 graphics in general. While I might have a problem with them now, I had no problem with them when the game was first released.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

ah, that is what I think it is. “While I might have a problem with them now, I had no problem with them when the game was first released.”  All of my favorite games, when they first came out, - I thought the graphics were great. Now, they pale in comparison to the newer games, but, they are still my favorites, so I guess that graphics don’t mean that much to me. I would much prefer to have a compelling game with crappy graphics than a game with great graphics and lousy puzzles and story. graphics are way way way down on my “must have” list.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Well, viewing GK3 as a first time player (I just started it a couple days ago,) it’s definitely ugly enough to make it hard to get into.  I do appreciate that they actually took the time to animate the facial textures though—it does help with the presentation of the characters and story.  I wish the environments could have been a LITTLE more detailed, but eh, oh well.  I still prefer it to the FMV and manipulated photographic aesthetic of its predecessor, so…yeah.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

tomimt - 27 October 2013 06:22 PM
RockNFknRoll - 27 October 2013 05:24 PM

This is worrisome to me. Everything looks plastic and clean, not the warm, rich hand drawn look like the original. GK looks like a Ken Doll, there’s little character to him. Reminds me of Secret Files or something, and I don’t want it to remind me of any modern AG.

That definetly is the worst of the BG images presented, but I think it also might be some older WIP version of the scene just to show up Gabriels model, which is the main focus there. The rest of the BG pics shown have been of much more higher quality.

Unfortunately it is the only picture that has GK in them. I agree with some that his character does not match the other pictures distributed.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

UPtimist - 26 October 2013 11:00 AM

I always find it odd when people trash GK3’s graphics. I mean, they’re obviously rough, and far from beautiful, but I always thought they’re quite easy on the eyes and at least it’s very clear (like, many games are totally a mess about what some things are even supposed to be).

And the facial expressions on the characters are better than many games even today. I mean, facial expressions that matched the quality of GK3 wouldn’t be seen for like a decade or something, and still even many quite top-level games lack a certain… naturalness that GK3 has, even if they are maybe more diverse and so.

I agree completely. The graphics in GK3 never bothered me. Actually, I think the character models were pretty decent, particularly because of their facial animations as you mentioned.

tomimt - 26 October 2013 04:47 AM

You can actually make GK3 look a bit better by using a custom resolution, you need to knife register to do that though. But the game does look a tad better in full HD, despite the model and texture fidelity is what it is.

It’s actually quite easy to change the resolution without going into the registry. Just create a shortcut on your desktop (right click the desktop > New > Shortcut), then link to the location of GK3.exe and specify your desired dimensions (resolution). For example, for 1600x900 widescreen:
“C:\Sierra\Gabriel Knight 3\GK3.exe” -width 1600 -height 900

It definitely looks a lot better in a higher resolution. Smile Just the Sydney interface becomes a bit wonky.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

hmmmm, i’m not sure some of these screenshots are doing the original any justice. The remake version of jackson square definitely isn’t sized accurately! How will they add all of the characters that existed in those scenes from the original? how will you avoid the mime without bumping into other people, surely that would be difficult seeing as the scene in the remake looks a lot more claustrophobic than a park should be!  Meh Jane Jensen, think these backgrounds need to be designed again with Gabriels body looking a bit smaller!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really hope that square pic is just a placeholder and work in progress pic, as it is horrible.

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

It is damn awful! I kind of liked the gedde tomb scene, and sort of liked the book store but apart from that I wasn’t sold. I really think that they should take some inspiration from the black mirror games.

The town in black mirror 2 for example, had a very foreboding atmosphere but wasn’t overdone with an obvious “spooky” vibe except fog and the weather.

Would love New Orleans to be like this because each scene felt quite real and very atmospheric. The image of Jackson Square looks very static and boring.

RELEASE MORE IMAGES.. we need to feel safe that this game is in the right hands Smile

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

p.s sorry for the large images. wasn’t sure how to make them smaller.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I gotta say Robert Holmes has pretty much destroyed his original music from GK1 by stuffing them full of ugly sounding sound effects. I don’t know what the hell they’re thinking, as the Moebius songs sound much, much better in comparision.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m beginning to suspect this remake is going to end up being a classic example of why “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is such an iconic expression.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Why don’t we wait for when the final product is released and judge it then?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Whatever the state will be , one way or another we fans will play it.
I am more concerned if Phoenix output will justify sales
and critical acclaim from mainstream media to warrant GK4???

I want GK4 basically, GK remake is just a test excercise that can hurt one
of the most wanted AG sequel. Stakes are higher than Moebius.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You’re right nomadsoul. If the sale and critics of GK1 remake are poor, then the series will most likely be buried for who knows how long. I think Larry Reloaded has already proven that point, as I doubt we will see another installation to Reloaded series very soon.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 30 November 2013 05:51 PM

I think Larry Reloaded has already proven that point, as I doubt we will see another installation to Reloaded series very soon.

I know!  And it’s especially shocking considering all the masterful PR work Paul Trowe has been doing for the company lately.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top