• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 11:19 AM

Actually, the specify that they will NOT be shipping a “big box” version of MGX, only of Moebius, and that they MGX box will be a retail box.

if that was true, then paypal backers could sue Wink
(see 250 tier)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 10 April 2013 11:23 AM
Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 11:19 AM

Actually, the specify that they will NOT be shipping a “big box” version of MGX, only of Moebius, and that they MGX box will be a retail box.

if that was true, then paypal backers could sue Wink
(see 250 tier)

It clearly says:
“Moebius in the “Big Box” edition, signed by Jane and Robert
Mystery Game X in a retail box edition, signed by Jane and Robert”

It does, however, say that all games will be available on PC and Mac on that page, so I guess that settles the matter of platform.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 11:29 AM

It clearly says:
“Moebius in the “Big Box” edition, signed by Jane and Robert
Mystery Game X in a retail box edition, signed by Jane and Robert”

right, and if you think that means theyr essentially giving away (since the funds arent used for mgx) physical copies of console games with their price gouging.. youre crazy Wink
Anyway, game news sites have it down as pc/mac. While thats not definitive.. it does mean they probably got it from somewhere.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Frogacuda - 10 April 2013 09:29 AM

The logic in AC seems to be New character = Numbered sequel. It actually makes sense to me why Black Flag is IV and Brotherhood is not, or at least if follows a consistent logic.

Yes, but they also realized that a new character sells better, too.  They’re still annualized sequels.  I expect Black Flag to be highly reminiscent of AC3, honestly, but with more emphasis on sailing.  I’d love to be proven wrong, though.  I love the series overall.

But to go back to topic, an episodic GK game seems a likely choice.  I still think POS might be involved though.  I’ve heard some rumblings from a few people that could be interpreted that way—and I know that the directors at POS would sacrifice their first-born children to work on a GK game with Jane Jensen.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lambonius - 10 April 2013 12:12 PM

I’ve heard some rumblings from a few people that could be interpreted that way

rumblings scare me! Seriously.. this has gone on so long, “somthing” must have happened… a snag hit somewhere. The latest update just says janes negotiating with the publisher about it. So at this point it wouldnt surprise me if they had to get POS involved (i guess not a lot would surprise me at this point).

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Maybe she’s going to do the Al Lowe thing and come straight out with GK5!?  Laughing

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

It’s crazy how publishers seem to be always doing their best to screw up any Jane Jensen games… I mean, Gray Matter, now MGX. No wonder she was glad to get Pinkerton Road.

I can’t believe how this kind of action (or inaction) could be “the best and most profitable” way of doing it. Since, one hears, it’s all pretty much finished - and has been a while (I mean, at least the first episode (and as I understand much more too) since it’s episodic).

As for guesses on what it is, though I was originally quite sceptic about the idea, now with all the info we’ve gotten and the little trickles and stuff from the Pinkerton Road open house, I’m quite heavily leaning for it to be a GK2.5 type situation.

Still, I won’t even pretend like anything’s at all certain until we actually get any concrete info. Which seems like, whenever the publisher feels like getting off their cushions and announcing anything.

Have to be sympathetic to how the situation must be like for Jane…

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really wouldn’t be surprised if MGX would end up as abandoned project in the end. Having difficulties in production is the only reason I see why the information about it is kept non existing. If it would be a new GK game the press would have started already.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The sad part is that GK is a rather unfortunate choice of series to update for water-testing purposes, if in fact that is what Activision is doing.  As much as GK is considered a Sierra classic, its fan-base is relatively niche compared to King’s Quest.  I hate to think that the future of new Quest games is riding on Gabriel Knight.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

One would assume that the publishers strategy is to ride this new revival wave of adventure games. Since all these games have been delayed (as far as I know) I’m guessing that could be the reason why this hasn’t been announced yet.

Although this game seems to have an extremely short production cycle so the answer could also be as simple as it’s just not completely done yet or they want to finish more of the future episodes before releasing the first one.

Jane also wants to give this game to her backers which the publisher might not be so keen on doing. These negotiations could also be a reason for its delay.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Henke - 11 April 2013 09:04 AM

One would assume that the publishers strategy is to ride this new revival wave of adventure games. Since all these games have been delayed (as far as I know) I’m guessing that could be the reason why this hasn’t been announced yet.

iv heard this said before and it makes no sense to me. I dont see the publisher recognizing any wave (they made this deal before the waking dead was a big success, though they certainly did make the deal with pinkerton as part of a kickstarter wave you could call it)... and i cant imagine them saying “okay lets not promote our game at all, because we need all the adventure games to be announced at the same time.” Apparently this publisher believes in not advertising until the game is ready to be sold… so are they are simultaneously going to sell 3 adventure games? I sincerely doubt it.

So i’d definitely lean towards somthing like: it wasnt as done as they thought it was. Maybe some wires got crossed and jane and the publisher had 2 different ideas of what the publishers role to finish the game would be. Or maybe like you said, the negotiations have become complicated.. and the publisher has had second thooughts about giving away the game to half+ of the people who are likely to buy it.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

More likely they’re trying to time it away from other releases to get it the most attention.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Frogacuda - 11 April 2013 10:43 AM

More likely they’re trying to time it away from other releases to get it the most attention.

thats what we were told in november, and i dont believe it anymore Wink
Theres gotta be more to it than that, or else the publisher could spend years trying to distance itself from any other news. Makes no sense. Sure, you dont want to release the same day as say.. a new halo game. But then you release the next week. Not wait 6+ months.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

In the film industry, they do that all the time. Movies are sometimes put on the shelf for years while they wait for the right weekend to release their shitty movie when no other movies are around to make it look shitty. They did that with Taken, and it worked out pretty well.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Frogacuda - 11 April 2013 12:17 PM

In the film industry, they do that all the time. Movies are sometimes put on the shelf for years while they wait for the right weekend to release their shitty movie when no other movies are around to make it look shitty.

Difference is: movies don’t get stale as fast as games do.

Granted, adventure games are a different beast at that, but still…

Edit: some producers do it out of spite over an argument with actors or directors, too. Not necessarily because the movie was shitty to begin with.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top