• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I’m not sure I wish it to be GK related… Certainly not GK4. But I guess it’s pretty much out of the question anyways. I mean, GK has a clear story arch it is to follow and I think something in between would just mess it up. The idea of “other” Schattenjäger cases was decent enough though - that is, that it’s cases Gabriel handled between the other games or so. Would be apart from the actual storyline. But then, that’s lacking in a certain dramatic nuances that JJ games are so good at. If it’s just random cases, I’m afraid it’ll lack a deeper storyline.

And I’d certainly rather see a new game than a remake.

zane - 20 November 2012 07:53 PM

well, i’ll say this much, if its not GK related then she should come out and say its not ASAP. I get why theyr saving the announcement, but it doesnt do anybody any favors to let people continue to think its GK if its not. Plus, letting us know its not gk will leave people as clueless as ever (“its not gk so it must be…!! umm nope… no idea still”). The kickstarter fundraiser is over, so the mystery aspect isnt driving any positive hype, and they could cut down on some backlash now if they just let people know its not GK related… (but for all we know.. it still could be) Wink

Jane said that the publisher’s PR department said that with episodic games it’s best not to announce too late. That it’s better that when the game gets its major press exposure, the readers should be able to get to go and try out that first episode - or something like that Tongue I didn’t read it so carefully… Smile

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

She has also said a number of times that there will be a lot of buzz when MGX is revealed. Considering the market only a GK title is going to generate any kind of buzz.

If it isn’t I will be very disappointed considering the things she has said. It would be quite misleading.

I’m expecting either:

1) somehow the rights were obtained and the new game is a new GK series.

2) the rights weren’t obtained but a loophole allows a game in the GK universe, likely with some spinoff character that is allowable given the rights limitations.

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Phod - 21 November 2012 03:43 PM

She has also said a number of times that there will be a lot of buzz when MGX is revealed. Considering the market only a GK title is going to generate any kind of buzz.

I simply don’t understand that line of reasoning, it is clear that Moebius has generated a fair buzz already, why does it have to be a GK title?

If it isn’t I will be very disappointed considering the things she has said. It would be quite misleading.

With the greatest of respect, no it wouldn’t. Whether you are disappointed or not is a matter for you, but a suggestion that she has implied this is a GK game would be a misleading statement.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Intense Degree - 21 November 2012 04:12 PM
Phod - 21 November 2012 03:43 PM

I simply don’t understand that line of reasoning, it is clear that Moebius has generated a fair buzz already, why does it have to be a GK title?

Indeed. Plus, she’s just advertising the game, and this is pretty much the best she can advertise without being able to give any real info.

With the greatest of respect, no it wouldn’t. Whether you are disappointed or not is a matter for you, but a suggestion that she has implied this is a GK game would be a misleading statement.

Again, true. There has been absolutely no implication that it is GK so it cannot be misleading in any way. It’s not that it can’t be GK - surely it is one noteworthy option - but it’s still just one option with any other.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2005-11-23

PM

Now, now. Obviously, Jane thought she would be able to tell us all about it much, much sooner. And I’m sure she had good reasons to believe that when MGX was announced back in April. But hey, this just goes to show that working with publishers is a complicated process and that it’s good news for all of us that Moebius—and hopefully all her future titles except MGX—is self-published.

I also agree with Intense Degree; if MGX ends up not being GK-related, I don’t see how we could go back and judge her statements as wrong or misleading.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If we’re talking mass-market appeal, then no, Moebius haven’t generated much Buzz and only Gabriel Knight would probably be able to generate mainstream buzz for Jane Jensen.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

But she never said mass-market appeal… She was very vague, propbably on purpose Grin

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I don’t think a random Jane Jensen property is going to get buzz. Moebius got buzz because it was a kicks tater which was all the rage at the time and Jane another old school developer was coming back in the biz.

Gray Matter didn’t exactly light the buzz world on fire.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

But this is the thing, saying that it will generate a lot of buzz, and get a lot of attention again does not necessarily mean it’s anything to do with Gabriel Knight

Imagine if, back in 2011, Telltale had announced a new ‘mystery’ game, saying that when the game was announced it would get a lot of attention. All the fans would be guessing/hoping for Monkey Island 6, or Maniac Mansion 3 or whatever. And then ultimately be disappointed when it was ‘only’ Waking Dead-which, when announced, did get a lot of buzz and attention (and ultimately turned out to be a great game)

It doesn’t have to be GK. It could just as easily be another big name property in the dark mystery genre.
It could be a game based on Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books/films, It could be based on American Horror Story, Hell it could be a Twilight the video game! All these properties would get a lot of buzz

Think of all the other famous dark mysteries that could get attention rather than just Gabriel Knight. To avoid disappointment

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 21 November 2012 05:03 PM

If we’re talking mass-market appeal, then no, Moebius haven’t generated much Buzz and only Gabriel Knight would probably be able to generate mainstream buzz for Jane Jensen.

If we’re talking mass market appeal then Gabriel Knight won’t garner any interest at all in the minds of most gamers, not being fans of the genre, and probably never having heard of GK or JJ.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

Intense Degree - 22 November 2012 02:11 AM

If we’re talking mass market appeal then Gabriel Knight won’t garner any interest at all in the minds of most gamers, not being fans of the genre, and probably never having heard of GK or JJ.

I think Gabriel Knight is quite well known among people who played any video games during 90’s.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Intense Degree - 22 November 2012 02:11 AM

It would create buzz in the sense that it would initially get covered on major gaming sites, where as any other property by Jane Jensen most likely wouldn’t.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 22 November 2012 09:57 AM

It would create buzz in the sense that it would initially get covered on major gaming sites, where as any other property by Jane Jensen most likely wouldn’t.

Hmmm, on that basis I agree with you, in that the release of a new GK game (esp. GK4) would get more coverage on major gaming sites (I suspect) than another new game by JJ.

However, i’m still not sure if that is the same as “mass-market appeal”, which I would take to be the game, or news of the game, appealing to a wide variety of gamers across the gaming spectrum. This still seems highly unlikely to me, even for a GK game.

I think Gabriel Knight is quite well known among people who played any video games during 90’s.

Maybe we just know different kinds of people! Of all my real life gaming friends (most of whom were teenagers in the 90’s), I think only 2 know anything about Gabriel Knight and most have not heard of it, although they would probably know the name Sierra and have some small knowledge of the King’s Quest series.

However, I’m pretty sure all of them know Doom for instance on the PC and then all the obvious console titles. Maybe I just know too many console gamers!

My own experience is that it is only those who are into Adventure Games who know much, if anything, about Gabriel Knight or Jane Jensen. Even though they are massive in the AG world, they are not well known outside and this is apparent from the level of Kickstarter funding, well behind Al Lowe and Broken Sword etc.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Intense Degree - 22 November 2012 12:29 PM

Even though they are massive in the AG world, they are not well known outside and this is apparent from the level of Kickstarter funding, well behind Al Lowe and Broken Sword etc.

To be fair, though, that was also largely due to the fact that those other campaigns were directly linked to their respective franchises, not just to the name of the creator like Moebius was. I think it’s safe to say that a Kickstarter for a proper GK sequel would have probably generated a good deal more interest/revenue than Moebius did.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

maladroid - 22 November 2012 06:44 PM
Intense Degree - 22 November 2012 12:29 PM

Even though they are massive in the AG world, they are not well known outside and this is apparent from the level of Kickstarter funding, well behind Al Lowe and Broken Sword etc.

To be fair, though, that was also largely due to the fact that those other campaigns were directly linked to their respective franchises, not just to the name of the creator like Moebius was. I think it’s safe to say that a Kickstarter for a proper GK sequel would have probably generated a good deal more interest/revenue than Moebius did.

One can never be sure. Aside from DFA and Broken Sword 5, and maybe LSL, pretty much every adventure has struggled. Spaceventure was dead in the water for awhile. Hero-U was the same. Tex started strong but slowed considerably, strongly helped by the magnificent seven or whatever they were called later during the campaign. A GK kickstarter would certainly have generated more buzz, but I don’t think it would have gotten more than maybe $500k.

I think this whole kickstarter thing has taught me that while there are some very dedicated adventure fans out there, their numbers are small.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top